PDA

View Full Version : Long Travel A-arms...Gibson,Lager,Roll,Houser,Hermann

jlhughes750
08-18-2003, 06:48 AM
I had a thread about XClt arms trying to get feedback, thanks for the replys everyone.. i have done my own lil test over the past few months and wanted some feedback from y'all, to see what u think.

I have ridden comparible quads (ex's) with all the frt. ends listed and had alot of time to think about what i wanted to use to build my "comeback racer"...

i had the best luck with Gibson's so far, handled great with Axis, easy to assemble. Lagers were good, but hard to come by..long wait to get them. Houser's are real nice, but do u really get more travel???? I was reluctant to admit it at first, but the Gibson's do work better than std. travel arms. U can really feel the difference on the off camber stuff, it feels more sstable. Roots and rocks were not an issue, i hardly felt them. I have an ex with std. arms and Ohlins, after riding the Gibson XC LT frt. end i didn't even want to ride mine back to the truck. there a lil funny lookin, but they work great!!!HAHAHAHA

what do u guys think??????????

later, J

Dave400ex
08-18-2003, 07:24 AM
How did the Laeger's compare to the Gibson? Also what widths were you running? +1?

jlhughes750
08-18-2003, 08:01 AM
yes i was using +1 or XC arms!!

all the arms worked well, it seemed that the Gibsons worked the best for the shocks!! see if this makes sencse?? it seemd that Axis knows a lil somthing about the Gibson arms, therefore they seem to work better together than the others??? sometimes thats the way it goes!! for a while everyone used Housers and Elkas for XC. I think this Gibson/Axis thing might be a great set up....

Dave400ex
08-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Yeah a lot of guys are running the Roll/Axis setup too. I wonder how the Vector (SP?) and Axis would work like Ballance runs?

ex kid
08-18-2003, 11:42 AM
ballence had/has vector a arms. ive been hearing alot of good things about gibson a arms at my shop. ive herd for a raptor there the sh**. i talked to a guy who had them on his R and said he loved them. the laegers setup has always been a popular choice in nationals, both xc and mx. the pretty much have a bulletproff rep with barry hawk and now chris borich running them. i see guys with laegers stuff more than any. it seem to work well and be very well made. pep seems to be a thing of the past with shocks. ive herd wayne at pep doesnt work with the xc guys as much as they would like. axis deff. noes what there doing. elka seems to be stepping it up because there alot eaiser to get then peps and are much cheaper.

jlhughes750
08-19-2003, 03:16 AM
for 8 years straight it was Leager!!! know wonder thats what u see the most of!!these other guys are catching up though...i'm starting to see a drop in the # of Laeger and Roll stuff out there...

technology changes over the years, the stuff thats being designed now is a lil farther ahead than we were 5 years ago....belive or not!!! these long travel arms i'm trying now are working out pretty nice!!! there not all the same... these Gibson's are a lil different!!!!

later, J

YLW400
08-19-2003, 03:23 AM
I am running the +3 Gibson L/T, not the same, but same concept anyway, and I love them....I am running them with 19" PEP ZPS, compression adjustable. It's a nice front end, granted I am no "A" rider to determine differrences, but I like it alot...

jlhughes750
08-19-2003, 03:53 AM
INTERESTING!!!! U THINK THEY MAKE A 250EX FRT. FOR THE KID!!!(exkid)hahaha

ex kid
08-19-2003, 05:58 AM
j im gonna run your sorry a** into the lake at back mountin.

ex kid
08-19-2003, 06:08 AM
dude check ur pm box to.

jlhughes750
08-19-2003, 06:14 AM
OK....... its a river not a lake bonehead:D

Anyhow, a-arms and shocks on the 250EX would be cool, anyone offer them yet????:confused:

later, J

ex kid
08-19-2003, 08:16 AM
works offers shocks and so does elka. no a arms or swingarm. j pm box

jlhughes750
08-20-2003, 02:07 AM
Theres nothing in there Kid!!!

later, J

ex kid
08-20-2003, 06:24 AM
i resent it

DoctorRags
08-20-2003, 02:15 PM
I have houser +1" LT's with 16" elkas. They work great, so far. The only problem my friend has had (with the same setup) is the ball joints breaking on the a-arms. From what I hear, houser is now using a different ball joint (one piece instead of two piece). I guess they realized they might have a problem. However, my friend hasn't had the greatest luck in trying to get the new ball joints from houser. They want to charge him for them, which i understand, but the least they could do was discount the price a little. They want $50 for each ball joint ($200 for the complete setup). That's pricey after you already spent $800 on the a-arms.

jlhughes750
08-21-2003, 03:07 AM
thanks for the info!! i'll keep that in mind. i liked the housers, but i was intrested in the 19 inch shock set up that Gibson offered. theres a noticable difference in the ride!!

bmw500hp
08-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
thanks for the info!! i'll keep that in mind. i liked the housers, but i was intrested in the 19 inch shock set up that Gibson offered. theres a noticable difference in the ride!!

JLHughes...how much is Gibson asking for the 1" / 19" setup? Do you have pics of yours. Also what rear shock are you running with your new arms.

thanx, Mike :)

jlhughes750
08-27-2003, 11:11 AM
i'm using the Axis on the rear, as for the price, to be honest i'm not 100% sure.. Call ECATV and ask for Matt(bear with them and hold) Tell Matt u ran into me on the net here and ask him for a price$$$$ it'll be the best price i'm sure!!!!! Mention J from Powerline ATV....Thanks later, J

jlhughes750
08-27-2003, 11:14 AM
also, there are pics on there site of them..

www.eastcoastatv.com