PDA

View Full Version : how old before first quad??

trailburner
08-17-2003, 01:21 PM
My son is going to be 4 in january & I was going to get him a little 4-wheeler for X-mas. My wife thinks he is going to be to young [developmentally] but he is a good size kid. I was wondering how old some of your kids [or younger brothers] were when they started riding...Thanks...

Punk'd
08-17-2003, 01:23 PM
ya man thats great to have your kid up and rideing at a young age builds there experience i say ya go ahead just i whould buy him safty gear:macho

08-17-2003, 01:26 PM
if he listens & learns well ...& shows good coordination..
go for it !...& please get him all the safety gear you can ..

nismo
08-17-2003, 01:28 PM
i was 14 but i wish my parents let me start ealier like one of my uncles son's is 3 and be on a 50 dirtbike this year with training wheels but on a quad that really doesnt matter

AtvMxRider
08-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"

I agree with Dave on that. My son was 7 when I got him his 1st quad and my youngest son was 4 when I got him his 1st dirtbike. But the my youngest wich is almost 6 now can ride the chit out of the quad.

250x#93
08-17-2003, 01:33 PM
When I have a kid he'll prob have a quad before he is born:devil:

sickmojave
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"

sounds good to me ;)

I have a 5 yr old girl who rides her 50cc d-bike very well ..
I knew she ready to ride ..when I was watching the way she rode her pedal bike ...although the first few minutes were kinda scarey ,..she held it Wide Open til she understood how to control the twist throttle

GlamisEXRider
08-17-2003, 02:03 PM
I started my son out on an electric quad when he was 1 1/2 and he learnd to ride that way and when he was 2 1/2 we got him an 1987 lt 50 which he learnd to ride in the dirt/sand with. he picked it up pretty quick. he got use to braking and throttle control with that bike. when he turned 3 1/4 we got him a dinli 50 with paddles and now he rides the small dunes in glamis with us. he is now 4. so start them young if you can. teach them to ride safe and be safe around others.

MOFO
08-18-2003, 12:22 AM
I know a guy that has started out his kids around the age of 3 years old on small 50's (quads). His little girl that is now 7 year's old is beatin up on all the boys at the local mx track. I keep telling her dad, she's gonna break some hearts! :devil:

I think 3 years old is a bit young, but I think if your around 100% of the time and he/she is not having any problems, I'd say go for it. I wish I started when I was that young.

Guy400
08-18-2003, 12:57 AM
My brother and I had a mini-bike from the time my father took the training wheels off our bicycles. I agree that if the cooridination is ample and they've got an understanding of throttle/brake than have at it. Set the governor so they can go no faster than you can run at first and keep them on level ground. In a couple days they'll be buzzing all over the place. My nephew was 2 when he was driving an electric go-kart. It had a gas pedal, brake and reverse. He had enough know-how to know when to stop, back up and put it back in forward when he got stuck somewhere. I'd just make sure that the kiddies wear as much safety gear as possible. Helmet, gloves and boots for sure. But you don't want to send them out looking like a hockey goalie:D

stiffy
08-18-2003, 03:49 AM
Some friends of ours have a 3 year old son and they got him a little e-ton 50 he does pretty good.

daiglea
08-18-2003, 03:57 AM
My wife is 6 month pregnant and the baby already has a quad. Just hope he or she likes it. ;)

Adam202
08-18-2003, 04:14 AM
my neighbors kids are pretty young, the yougest rides a xr50 better than his older brother and hes only like 6. id say when they learn to ride a pedal bike pretty good get them a quad or dirtbike.

Tommy 17
08-18-2003, 04:15 AM
my neighbors nephew started out at age 2... he was on a lil no named 50 quad... i think its a lt50...

his dad rigged this up on it...

he got a teather switch and extended the cord to about 30ft... the cord is then on a reel so its always tight... as the quad goes out it pulls more with it and theres never any slack in the line so he can't pull it almost instantly... the kid goes around him in circles with no problems and if he ever sees him in trouble he pulls the cord and he shuts it off instantly... works really good...

QuadJunkies
08-18-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by trailburner
My son is going to be 4 in january & I was going to get him a little 4-wheeler for X-mas. My wife thinks he is going to be to young [developmentally] but he is a good size kid. I was wondering how old some of your kids [or younger brothers] were when they started riding...Thanks... I got one for my sons fifth bday and one for my Daughter when she was 7. ALOT has to do with intellect my Daughter was MORE than ready for her 90 she was a taller kid, so she got a 90 first, now as for my son.Hes going to be the one that has to be stung a few times before he will learn.:o :p we started him off with a 50 which is plenty for him.Whatever age they are.Please make sure they have propoer gear , Im a firm believer in saftey with the kids,Inve seen tooo many kids that arent.....but then , Im sure you will.........;)

Glow Plug
08-18-2003, 04:42 AM
I was 8 when I got the bayou (i emmm think) But i was a big kid (high wise lol)

wilkin250r
08-18-2003, 06:58 AM
At 4 yrs old, you're probably not going to get him a 80, more likely a 50.

Most 50's I've seen have a throttle/speed adjustment, as well as a tether that will kill the engine when pulled. With these two safetly mechanisms you should be okay.

The problems seems to be that your wife isn't comfortable with it, but you can set the the throttle limit so the max speed is barely a walk until the youngster gets used to the fine points of throttle control and braking.

AtvMxRider
08-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
I was 8 when I got the bayou (i emmm think) But i was a big kid (high wise lol)

That was last year right?..........:blah: :devil:

Glow Plug
08-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
That was last year right?..........:blah: :devil:

no it was last week :rolleyes: