PDA

View Full Version : low end stumble

brianC400X
08-17-2003, 12:28 PM
I have an 01 400ex. It came with a Yoshi silencer and headpipe and a 155 keihn mainjet. Soon after I got it I was searching for more power. I read about removing the choke and installing a 42 pilot jet on this website. I did this according to the instructions from this website. I ride at sea level with no airbox lid. I have a K&N airfilter. After the mod I noticed it liked to pull the front end easier. When I left the house and did some trail testing the thing sucked to ride. Ive lost the power I used to have to instantly spin the tires. It either stumbles or the front tires claw for the sky. Its a real pain in technical trails. I cant control the back end of the quad with power very well because it either stumbles or does a wheelie. I've been playing with the airscrew for days and I cant seem to find the sweet spot. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cals400ex
08-17-2003, 01:15 PM
i think you may be alittle small on the mainjet. do you already have the 42 pilot in? where is the needle set at? does it run good at top speed?

JOEX
08-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Cool, another left coaster. Welcome to the site.:)

I agree with cals400ex. Answer his questions and we will have a better chance at helping.

Joe

brianC400X
08-17-2003, 02:14 PM
I talked to the guy who i bought it from today as well as posted here. He put a 155 mainjet in because that was what yoshi recomended. I installed the 42 pilot jet when I removed the choke. I didnt touch the needle. It feels good at speed but I havnt ridden enough 400ex's to know what it is supposed to feel like. I emailed Yoshi's technical support(i saw the link on thier website). I'm hoping they reply to my summons.

JOEX
08-17-2003, 04:05 PM
A 155 might be a little small for a full system and no lid but the main jet only affects 3/4-full throttle.
I'd suggest raising the needle on notch (lower the clip one notch).
Set the mixture screw at 2 1/2 turns out. See how it runs then play with the screw a bit.
Have you replaced the spark plug lately?
It is best to change one thing at a time, not that I always do it that way:p

Joe

cals400ex
08-17-2003, 08:35 PM
i am honestly wondering if i lost a little power by removing the choke. your 155 main is probally good for your pipe. however, you have a K&N and are running without a lid. i would go out on the fuel skrew a little bit. my headers glow and i have an x-6, uni filter, no choke, and no lid. the thing is i am running a 45 pilot. i need to be at least 3 turns out on the fuel skrew or my header will glow at low throttle positions. i know this sounds dumb, but i think i will be putting that choke back in on my bike.