PDA

View Full Version : FST oil cooler VS. jeg's/permacool

Dunlap
08-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Just got back from a test session with the FST race team. You can read more about the machines we tested in the racing forum under Chad Duvall's new machine. We wanted to test the oil coolers since there was such a big controversy on what made the FST oil cooler better than the rest. We ran Chad Duvall's 500EX 2 laps on about a 5 or 6 mile course or 12 to 15 minutes per lap. The difference was the FST oil cooler ran 10 degrees cooler at the cooler and 30 degrees cooler at the oil tank. We ran a Pingry's oil tank which we have run all year. We had several other riders ride the machine with the same results but I wanted Chad running the test on the differences between the 2 coolers since they look the same on the outside. Yes, Perma-Cool does build my coolers but with the special star insert that makes the oil flow out towards the outside of the line instead of through the middle cooling the temperature quicker. We never did receive any other coolers for testing that were promised to us and I even offered to buy one.

Pappy
08-17-2003, 12:12 PM
COOL!!!! (pun intended:p )

how hard is it to install the FST cooler and whats retail pricing?

Big - D Racing
08-17-2003, 01:54 PM
hey Mickey glad to see you on the site again. Are going to put up a new website? I also have your oil cooler, I bought it over a year ago, is mine the same model you still use now? If so I'm glad to know it runs cooler than the perma cooler.

Ty's400
08-17-2003, 03:40 PM
I was wondering the same things as Pappy!:D

nakomis0
08-17-2003, 06:40 PM
I think the FST cooler is bad as hell. and at a good price.

300exOH
08-18-2003, 04:04 AM
Do you still make one for the 300ex's? If so could I get a price? Does it require drilling or do you use a special oil filter cover? Thanks Mickey

pnut420
08-18-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Do you still make one for the 300ex's? If so could I get a price? Does it require drilling or do you use a special oil filter cover? Thanks Mickey

I think you have to drill and tap it, but if they have it so you can use a oil filter cover than I would buy one.

Diedrich
08-18-2003, 04:43 PM
for the 300ex u do not have to drill or tap. it was very easy to install and worked great. it ran me about $100 but that was a year ago so i dont know how much they are now

Dudefire607
08-18-2003, 04:48 PM
The 300ex top end feed line is on the outside of the cylinder. Just cut the line and put a compression fitting on each end, then route the lines to your choice of cooler. If you want to go back to stock just buy a new line from Honda for about 15.00. The reason you need to tap the 400 is because the line that feeds the head is cast into the cylinder.

DF...

ranger400ex
08-19-2003, 04:49 AM
Hey Mickey,

Do you have any coolers, or in-lines that you sell for radiator lines? I was thinking about putting an inline for the Dales, but thought I would see if you have done any research on those?

Ben

Baley69
08-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Dudefire607
The 300ex top end feed line is on the outside of the cylinder. Just cut the line and put a compression fitting on each end, then route the lines to your choice of cooler. If you want to go back to stock just buy a new line from Honda for about 15.00. The reason you need to tap the 400 is because the line that feeds the head is cast into the cylinder.

DF...

Wont that starve the head of oil? Do you or anyone else have pics of this?

norcalatver
08-19-2003, 12:27 PM
I have one installed on my FDO 493. The only problem I had was figuring out a place to put it. I have rezzies and a steering dampener. I ended up mounting it to the underside of the front plastic nosepiece. I haven't checked the temperature of the oil, but I believe in Mickey Dunlap. If he says it works and it helps keep my stroker motor cooler, I believe it!

Dunlap
08-20-2003, 01:11 AM
I did not come on here to sell oil coolers,if you need info you can call me at FST. I just wanted to show what I found and to put to rest the fact that I only bring products to the market that I feel are the best and not some copycat product that makes claims they do not back up!I make oil coolers for most models but the testing is the thing that makes the diff.

ranger400ex
08-20-2003, 02:28 AM
Hey Mickey,

Do you have any coolers, or in-lines that you sell for radiator lines? I was thinking about putting an inline for the Dales, but thought I would see if you have done any research on those?

Ben

Dunlap
08-20-2003, 02:49 AM
What I wonder is how you (ranger) can bad mouth me and give me a bunch crap and then expect me to even answer you back!

SlapNutz
08-20-2003, 03:10 AM
:confused: :eek2:

wat

:bandit:

pnut420
08-20-2003, 08:52 AM
I feel for yah Mickey, alot of guys were bashing on your cooler pretty bad, saying it is better to just buy one from jegs and you are good to go. Your product seems much better than any others out there. People need too understand the research costs the money, not making the actual product

jaspurx
08-20-2003, 10:21 AM
hello!...... mickey , for you guys that do not know ,used to be a racer, and was good at it too.he is not like that, he is not going to sell krap to you just to get your cash.he will not sell it if it is no good. his word is good enough for me. he knows his stuff.

PHIL_B54
08-20-2003, 11:08 AM
first would like to thank micky for what he has contributed to the site and the sport.

but you cant blame people for being leary of a product until it has been proven. now i can say, yes it would have been better for me to pay a little more and get the fst cooler. the whole time this arguement has reminded me of the heavy duty timing chain thing. some company was selling them at a really high price for the 400ex, and it ended up being the stock chain off a crf that you could get from honda for cheaper.

those people had no right to flame you micky, but everyone deserves to see that the extra money is worth it, thanks for clearing it up

Dunlap
08-20-2003, 11:59 AM
A big thanks to everyone who understands what I was trying to say.

JD400exrider
08-20-2003, 02:13 PM
I would hope most understood the first time except for a few that wanted to flame on ya for what reason i still have not figured out.

Thanks again Mickey for the feed back on the FST cooler test and also for the support you provide to this site. :D

Glamis400ex
08-21-2003, 01:10 AM
I just bought the Jegs (permacool) kit, mainly becuase I was tired of trying to find Mickey's website and any solid info on the product. Just my experience...

I'm sure it will be fine since I don't have a full blown stroker, only a 416 and if it cools 37 degrees instead of 40....I can live with that.

Glamis

norcalatver
08-21-2003, 01:42 AM
Glamis 400ex, go re read Mickey's first post. Its not a difference of 3 degrees!

ranger400ex
08-21-2003, 02:02 AM
Okay on this end. The ball was in your court...but I see no change in score. :(

Maybe you can speak with me in PA. I plan to introduce myself if you are there. I figured a second chance was in order....I think differently now.

Sorry to waste your time.

Ben Wrightsman

Dunlap
08-21-2003, 02:21 AM
All you had to do is admit you where being a jerk and say you where sorry but you would not do that so thats where it stands. A real man can say he's sorry for being a smart *** and mean it,I did nothing to you but you felt you could do or say anything you want about me. I will not let people get on here and just run there mouth and get away with it,this kind of stuff is childish and needs to stop. I try to give good info on here, I NEVER attack anyone for no reason like some people have done with me.

ranger400ex
08-21-2003, 02:39 AM
Mickey-

That is more of the response I can use. I do apologize for making cuts at yourself. I have first hand issues that directly influenced those remarks but still the manner in which I noted them was still not professional on my part. Two wrongs do not make a right. The past is just that..the past. Maybe something good can come out of this.

Again, my apologies.

Ben Wrightsman

Dunlap
08-21-2003, 04:22 AM
Thank you, now as far as an in line cooler are you wanting to know about a oil cooler for a C-Dale? I have never made one because I have not had any feed back that it needed one.

bradley300
08-21-2003, 03:54 PM
i think they run a little warm, it dosent seem to take much ride time before the fan turns on.

ranger400ex
08-22-2003, 05:59 AM
Bradley, not a case of running warm. The fan turns on early to keep any problems at bay.

Mickey,

I was thinking about adding one of the aluminum inline coolers (looks like an fuel injection filter but finned) into one of the radiator lines, the bike doesn't run hot, but we all know that a cooler motor runs better and produces power better. Didn't know if you did any testing on the coolant side of things.
As a side note, your question did make me thing, an external oil cooler might work on the bike too, just tap off of one of the side spar return lines and cool that way. don't have to worry about a pressure drop either.

Any thoughts?

Also, you gonna be a the PA GNCC? Hopefully I will see you there. If the other toy gets done, look for two black/red dales w/ QS and Lewis stickers.

Ben