PDA

View Full Version : Clutch checkup...

Ralph
08-17-2003, 11:56 AM
my friend thinks his clutch is going so we took the plates off and now we are questioning how to check them for wer and tear... the manuel says to measure all aroound to see if it is all eaven,,, but it doiesnt give any specs. Also do we have to check the basket? it also says that the nut to acces the clutch basket u need to grind it to loosen it up,,, also what was the way to tell the clutch basket needs to go? i thought it was like 1 mil deep?. let me know so we can check this thing up...

INFANTRY RACING
08-17-2003, 06:19 PM
if theres grooves in the basket fingers where the fiber plates touch it the i'd suggest a new basket.

For fiber plate thickness. i pretty much ride the same clutch till the grooves in the fiber plate wear away then lack of oil between the plates will cause the clutch to make a grinding noise under hard exceleration. if the grooves are gone they are toast.

P.S...honda fibers are the best..they might not grip as good as others but they last a hell of a lot longer.

nakomis0
08-17-2003, 06:32 PM
U can mic the fibers out .006" is the minimum.

I dont know about grinding no clutch basket nut. it 'staked' but thats it, and you can use an impact wrent to take it off. (not that you should need to take it off)

08-18-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
U can mic the fibers out .006" is the minimum.

I dont know about grinding no clutch basket nut. it 'staked' but thats it, and you can use an impact wrent to take it off. (not that you should need to take it off) couldnt have said it better myself...but when mine started slipping i went ahead and got a new setup

INFANTRY RACING
08-18-2003, 04:59 AM
if your basket dosen't need replaced there is no reason to touch that nut. The lock on it can be bent out and away with a small flathead screwdriver.