PDA

View Full Version : Is there a doctor in the house?

nakomis0
08-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Hey if you have a titanium rod in your lower leg and you break that leg again what happens?

Cause talking with my buddies we think its highly possible that your leg is gonna splinter in a crap load of pieces and you will basically lose it.

Anyone know?

TheRedRebel17
08-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Hey if you have a titanium rod in your lower leg and you break that leg again what happens?

Cause talking with my buddies we think its highly possible that your leg is gonna splinter in a crap load of pieces and you will basically lose it.

Anyone know?
Hmm..good question
Anyoen know?:confused:

Mx300exRyder
08-17-2003, 11:05 AM
dont know, but I have one in my Femure

nakomis0
08-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Mx300exRyder
dont know, but I have one in my Femure

Your femur, oh man that had to freakin hurt. Mines in my Tibia.

Whats it take to break a femur anyways.. ?

batgeek
08-17-2003, 11:33 AM
depends on how and where the rod is connected to your bones. not only that, but how and what kind of impact you take that breaks the bone again....

many factors involved in what can happen to your bone :)

but yes, in all likelyhood...it will be pretty ugly if it happens.

LEE314EX
08-17-2003, 11:50 AM
thats a good question and im sure there is a good answer;)

Rip_Tear
08-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Okay here is the answer!

lt would be pretty bad, but not horrible...

If there was extreme muscle damage, or circulation problems, you might loose the leg.

There is a possiblitlity it would splinter, but it would depend on the impact. If it brakes "good" it will likely splinter...

I asked my mom, she is/was a nurse...

4wheelboy
08-17-2003, 01:15 PM
thanks for the info!:eek2:

Martin Blair
08-17-2003, 01:21 PM

not much my friends g/f was practicing some stupid cheerleader rutine and she triped and here legs cossed and here let went under her right and when she came down all the pressure snapped here left femur.

I would think that it would break your knee or other leg bone, or if the rod bends possilby shaftter the whole bone.

Tommy 17
08-17-2003, 03:34 PM
i shattered my left femur in like 14 places racin my cr80:eek:

to be honest it didn't hurt... i was in shock:(

nakomis0
08-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Ya see i was hoping for .." oh its ok it will just break like normal"

I'm gonna get my rod removed just in case , cause i wouldnt be surprised if I did something dumb and broke it again.

250exen
08-18-2003, 05:03 AM
you would think that the docs would be smart enough to put a special coating or something on the rod so if you did break it again it wouldnt splinter:eek2:

MOFO
08-18-2003, 06:22 AM
Ok just thinking about my femur breaking or the entire bone splintering is making my leg hurt...... :confused2

hindelk
08-18-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by 250exen
you would think that the docs would be smart enough to put a special coating or something on the rod so if you did break it again it wouldnt splinter:eek2:

I know my knee started like hurtin :huh

kaneman23
08-18-2003, 06:41 AM

Anyone know?

I'm not a doc but I do know that it will be much harder to break a 2nd time. Bones mend and are actually stronger after being broke. However, that doesn't mean that it can't happen. I think it would be gruesome to break a leg that had a rod holding it together. Can you say compound fracture?

Tommy 17
08-18-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Ok just thinking about my femur breaking or the entire bone splintering is making my leg hurt...... :confused2

i'm serious when i say it don't hurt lmfao... its the stuff after u brake it that hurts;)

Mx300exRyder
08-19-2003, 10:08 AM

From what they told me it is the hardest bone to break, and that it is easier to break concrete than that bone. When it broke it didnt hurt, it is when they set the bone back is when it hurts.

zoom400ex
08-19-2003, 12:21 PM
i have 2 titanium screws in my hits connecting my femer and they are still going strong

lex luger
08-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by zoom400ex
i have 2 titanium screws in my hits connecting my femer and they are still going strong

think we could take them out and sell them?

...selling outright, hehe