PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450 Secret Testing for GNCC?????????????

Smokey
08-16-2003, 12:46 PM
I just heard that Matt Smilley was at Constitution Ridge Raceway a couple weeks ago testing the YFZ450 and that he had sold his 250R's and was going to start racing the Yamaha . Nobody was allowed to be there but Matt and someone else. Anyone know anything about this , is this true ???I just wonder why it had to be a secret??

Pappy
08-16-2003, 12:48 PM
cant be too big of a secret....smileys R's were on ebay and he has been riding the yzf.

08-17-2003, 05:18 AM
I am not sure why he would have traveled all the way to constitution ridge to ride for. It is a nice place and fellow pro Jarred Huffman lives right beside it. but yeah it is no secrete that he is on a yfz now.

propartsracing
08-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Hey,

Matt will be racing the new YFZ for the remainder of the GNCC series in the Pro class. He loves it.

Trish

jlhughes750
08-20-2003, 02:36 AM
this is a statement for the Yami!!!!!!to have a stubborn old school R racer like Smiley switching over, thats saying alot for the new Yami!!!!!!!! Borich says he won't switch till he gets beat by one!!! maybe after T town he'll be switching...

been watching Matt fo nearly 10 years, i hope the best for him on the new ride!!!! Go get em Matt!!!!!!!!!

later, J

Smokey
08-20-2003, 03:34 AM
But you have to remember that Matt has nothing to loose by makeing the change . After wanting no throw aways for years he got it and it bit him in the a** ... The 450 feels alot like an R so that is helping everone change to it .....IT IS ONE AWSOME BIKE !!!

popo
08-20-2003, 05:06 AM
I'll put my money on Borich with the old school Honda. Does anybody make a bigger gas tank for the Yam yet?

Ryan
08-20-2003, 05:37 AM
If Borich doesn't switch over to the YFZ, then you'll probably find him on the new Honda, in the future.

jlhughes750
08-20-2003, 05:53 AM
The Borich's are a race breed family and they like to WIN... when something other than the R dominates then they'll be on it!!!!

Hawk 8 years in a row on a Leager/LRD....... Chris wants to go racing, Joe(Chris's dad) goes out and gets a few Laegers....

They will use whats winning and lately he's winning on the R...

Like i said he'll switch when he gets beat by one.

As for him on a Honda????? Lets see if someone else does it first then maybe they'll go for it....

ex kid
08-20-2003, 02:00 PM
thoose guys are fast on anything they ride. maybe matt smiley feels hes faster on the yammi than an R. maybe bill ballence would ride the honda if he feels faster on it than an R. unless he gets a sponsership from honda or yammi. i think the yammi deff has potential to win races and is by far the best race bred bike put out followed by the dales. my guess is alot of up and commers with 400ex and z's are going to be making trade ins because it will be much cheaper to run a yfz than an R or to make there z/ex up to par.

Dunlap
08-20-2003, 02:57 PM
I think you will see that Billy B. has been doing a little YFZ testing his self and will be returning on the Yami on the 6th.

ex kid
08-20-2003, 03:23 PM
i wouldnt be surprised. there gonna run what works best when they have the choice. i dont think bill ballence will count his R out of the picture. just to show that R's arent dead yet look at jerimaih jones. it may be that he just hauls *** or donest like 4 strokes but i cant see him switching any time soon. if bill ballence and matt smiley are going to run the yammi's all the time they should really get some kind of support from yamaha. it shows yamaha that they developed a bike that will suit the needs of a gncc pro the two pros that choose to run it are two of the best ever.

indygncc
08-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Mickey Dunlap I think you will see that Billy B. has been doing a little YFZ testing his self and will be returning on the Yami on the 6th.

Yeah and he was supposed to race a Suzuki also. :rolleyes:

lt250r91
08-20-2003, 04:07 PM
I've talked to Bill B about the Z and he keeps saying that he is faster on it, but still he shows up on the R. And with the other comments about keeping him and is brother on the same race team. The only way I see Bill on a Yammi is if Brandon is on one too. Who knows though stranger things have happen. Look at cannondale. Atk bought their parts and are planning on selling them and Dinli bought the rights to manufacture the quad.

jlhughes750
08-21-2003, 06:15 AM
lt250r----whats the latest on cdale???

hey speaking of cdale, were u ever able to scrub the tire marks off your back from Rausch GNCC at the start... i think that was u they got pics of with Tyson's bike stood up behind u??ahahahah:)

later, J

popo
08-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by jlhughes750

O GOD, your gonna get a ear full from SUPER YAKKER! yak yak yak yak yak.:p

monkeyboy
08-21-2003, 09:06 AM
POSs

:macho :scary:

jlhughes750
08-21-2003, 09:44 AM
:confused: :confused:

lt250r91
08-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750

hey speaking of cdale, were u ever able to scrub the tire marks off your back from Rausch GNCC at the start... i think that was u they got pics of with Tyson's bike stood up behind u??ahahahah:)

later, J

JLhughes750
I wish I was fast enough to run up in the pro ranks. That was Scott F. #23 that Tyson got tangled with.

As for Cannondale the only offical news (cannondaler.com) states that ATK bought the remaining inventory and plan on selling the parts to the cannondale dealers. I think there was like 30 semi loads. There is also something in the works and the guys involved said that the cannondale quads will be in production again by who is unknown at this time.

Jeff@quadshop should have more info on this so I'll let him chime in and give everyone the details.

Popo :blah:

Ryan
08-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Jeff, Fill us in! :macho

lt250r91
08-21-2003, 12:53 PM
For a pics of ATK owner and MAZ (cdaleparts.com owner) check this link out
http://www.cannondaler.com/

Also if you go to the forum link on that site and click on Lounge
There is a post called Official ATK/Cannondale info.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
08-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks Chad.

chad duvall
08-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Hey, In reading what you all have benn posting about MATT, BILL, Chris. To somewhat of a question to who wrote when Chris gets beat by a YAMAHA he will then switch to racing one. Well I beat him more than once on my 500EX HONDA and I didnt see Joe(his dad) Switch him to one...HA HA really what ever we all go back to the 2nd half on it will be a VERY exciting end to a great race season. I have had a great time racing and testing all of the break and havent done this for several years...I am very excited and ready to race...Hope to see you all soon!
Chad

lt250r91
08-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Isn't all these new high performance quads making things very interesting. Instead of just having an out of production 250r to talk about as the top dog?

Just wait until the new Honda hits the floor.

We as racers are blessed at all the options we now have. Now it will make deciding on which machine a little more interesting.

Now all we need to hear are the words "Factory backed race teams" and "National Television Coverage".

Hey who knows what the future of atv racing has around the next corner. I know I'm exicted about it now.

K_Fulk
08-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by lt250r91
Isn't all these new high performance quads making things very interesting. Instead of just having an out of production 250r to talk about as the top dog?
Now all we need to hear are the words "Factory backed race teams" and "National Television Coverage".

Hey who knows what the future of atv racing has around the next corner. I know I'm exicted about it now.

Maybe next year they'll have rides like these. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p3c66d4ac3d2eff79bf5f9f4d5e4e121b/fb41f098.jpg

quadman21
08-28-2003, 05:27 AM
ATK:confused: I thought that company was extinct! How many times did they pop up in Dirtwheels in the mid 90s with that rotax 600cc 4 stroke? Good for them and all the C'dale lovers. You guys are right. This is what we all have been wanting for years. Look how quick everything exploded. In a matter of 2-3 years we got everything we wanted in high performance-race ready quads. Now in 13 days Honda will be back and all we have to do is go to our dealer and choose a quad. Not like in the past where the choice was obvious. I say Good going yammaha for raising the stakes! (even though it will be short lived..he he). Hopefully the rumors are true about Kawie coming out with something of their own shortly. And who would have thought Polaris 500? As far as the Factory support, give it time, it will happen. How can it not? let's all take a deep breath and be thankfull we at least got a good variety to choose from for now. Another thing, I will be really excited seeing any of the top pros actually racing anything besides the R. We all know the R is "king" but it's really cool to know that Smiley and others are on something that you and I can go buy instead of a $20,000 quad. Oh, before I shut up, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and all you factories? If you see these pros on your machines and do not sign them to factory deals...shame on you! These guys are riding your mahines for a change at their own choice! Not because you paid them! So that should tell all of you Factories to get off your *** and support the riders who support you!:grr:

bradley300
08-28-2003, 05:36 AM
how can you congratualte yammy for raising the stakes? cannondale was and still is light years ahead technology wise.

i also so a c'dale add in dw once that said "speed is our friend" which jap company would have had the balls to print that?

quadman21
08-28-2003, 05:59 AM
Yes, all true BUT Yamaha (like them or not) is a big Factory Dealer where as the c'dale is/was a small Factory dealer. They can afford to say bold things for advertisement and spread the butter thin and make many different versions of the same quad...oopse?, my bad... They couldn't but that's alright. They have a loyal fan base and a market to sell to. All I was trying to say with my yammi comment was that it's been since 1986 when a BIG Factory dealer relased a full race ready quad. Now we will have many to choose from.:)

chad duvall
08-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Hey, just wanted to let everyone know about a product I have been testing since last year. It is a new skid pan and belly pan. I used it on my 500ex the first part of this year and also in the past few testings of the YFZ450. If anyone is interested in any info on this product call Deric Herman @ Badger racing 1-859-760-2822 also there is another top Pro racer testing it out. I know it is avaliable for the 400ex, Z400 and now the YFZ450. Another great promo for my sponsors
Thanks
Chad

bradley300
08-28-2003, 03:44 PM
i understand, i just get mad when everyone whines about wanting a racequad, gets it and then congratulates a bigger company with a slightly lesser product for raising the bar when they are 4 years behind! i think the moto and blaze had alot to do with the making of the yfz. yamaha finally put out something because they saw potential in the dale and wanted a slice of the race quad pie.

lt250r91
08-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Chad
How are those skids holdin up to the tough GNCC Circuit?
I've destoryed a swingarm skid at Wisp this year and a chasis skid at a District race. I haven't replaced the chasis one yet and the swingarm is a custom one built by a fab shop that copied the facotry one. So I will be in the market for new stuff. Along with a large front bumper. Those dang dale's are heck on front bumpers when they get stuck in the mud.

As of now I know AC Racing is the only one making stuff for the GG, but if Deric's stuff is strong and holds up better I just might have to talk to him. I know Pro Armor wasn't interest when I talked to them about a month ago about stuff the GG's.

Thanks for the input Chad and see you at the track

Mike