PDA

View Full Version : 330cc big bore kit(everyone please read)

Holty
01-24-2002, 09:48 PM
I'm helpin my buddy out with his 2001 300ex. We're going to order a 330 big bore kit and cam on saturday(1_26_02) so I have a couple questions.

First off, he wants to try to spend around $400 or less for parts and labor.

He wants a Weisco or JE kit(which ever is cheaper) and a cam to wake up his motor. We're looking for a good drop in cam that will give a broad power band without having to hard face the rockers, get into the valves, etc. Still with me? good :)

Keep in mind the price issue.......where is a good place to order everything from?? I already am gonna call Marcums so any other places to try?

Who has a 330 kit and similar mods as him??
What compression pistion does the kit come with?? or can you choose what compression to get??(running high octane fuel is o.k. if need be)
Any issues to be aware of with the cam or the big bore kit???
Any input is helpful.

One more question.....is there a way to bypass the stock rev limiter on the 300ex without buying a new rev box? thanks

His mods:

Cobra full exhaust(came free with the bike as a dealer promo)
K&N jet kit and K&N filter(stock air box and lid)

chris29
01-24-2002, 10:08 PM
TC make a real nice 330 kit for the 300ex but don't know the price of it. I say get the JE piston over the wiesco piston. The JE piston is much lighter and will keep engine temp down more than the wiesco. You can choose what type of stuff you want with the kit or anyother kit. You can tell them if you want a XC, MX cam, What compression you want etc. Its all up to you and what type of riding you do to what the kit will consist of. There is a way to bybass the rev limiter but I don't know how to do it. They take it apart by cutting the rubber out and then take something out. What they take out I have no Idea, But you can't do that with the 400 you have to buy a whole new box.

Chef
01-24-2002, 10:17 PM
get a wiseco pro-lite incase they dont make JE for the 300, which i dont think that they do...the pro-lite is atleast as light as the JE...

Holty
01-24-2002, 10:22 PM
can i get both the big bore kit, cam, and labor for less than $400??

also, I still don't know which cam to get. I just want a simple drop in cam requiring no other mods, but will give a good power increase. thanks for the help

chris29
01-24-2002, 11:31 PM
Check with TC on the cams and if you don't like theirs then try web cam.

01-25-2002, 05:53 AM
The TC Racing 330 kit is a 80mm Wiseco 10.5-1 high compression piston, taper-bored sleeve, and piston hardware. It costs $295 + shipping.

You will need to replace the top end gaskets when you install the sleeve and piston. Honda 300EX gasket kit A sells for $35 dollars.

Everyone sells camshafts. They range from mild to wild and so do the prices. Anywhere from $100-$350 bucks.

Labor will vary depending upon where you get the work done.

A word of advice on upgrading camshafts in a 300EX. If you install a cam that is even alittle aggressive. Then you better harden the rocker arms and get stiffer valve springs. Aftermarket camshafts chew up stock 300EX rocker arms. Spend alittle now, or pay a lot later.

Chris
2002 Laeger's/AXIS 365X
pictures coming soon........

yellowrider
01-25-2002, 07:16 AM
i was reading in dirt wheels adds and they had a je piston for sale for a 300ex and my dealer was going to sale me one so i am pretty sure that they make one . why wouldnt that make one?

anyways i know the je piston cost 125.00 that is what my dealer was going to charge me but i dont know about anything else like cam or etc.

but if i was him i would get rid of that cobra pipe they are annoying and loud and my stock pipe feels like it gives more bottom end i think ....

i dont think you are going to be getting all of that for 400 bucks that sounds cheap to me but what do i know .... anyways good luck

Holty
01-25-2002, 08:40 AM
I called Marcum's just now and Terry was real helpful.

He said this is the setup I should get my buddy.

Irias 11:1 Compression Piston kit (77mm, bored .80 over, 318cc's total)- $115

Top end gasket kit - $17.00

Web Cam Fast track off road cam - $90
or i could get the all around cam for the same price and not have to get the valve spring kit. He also said, with either cam, hard faced rockers are not necessary.

HD Valve spring kit - $85

He said this is a really good setup if money is an issue because the 330 kit is alot more for labor to install and runs alot hotter than this kit. He guaranteed me that this would give major power increases and would give very close to the same power as the 330 kit.

Any comments or input?

01-25-2002, 09:20 AM
If you get the .080 over piston it's a 298cc thats a 76mm bore.
If you get the .120 over piston it's a 305cc thats a 77 mm bore.

I would ge the .080 piston (76mm bore) it will run coller that the .120 witch leaves very little cylinder wall.

Get the cam and the valve springs too. IT will work best if you have an aftermarket full exhaust. the stock head pipe is very restrictive. Also the 11.1 comp, you might want to run race gas is not atleast 50/50 mix. This will wake the 300 up pretty good.

01-25-2002, 09:25 AM
I say get it,,Terry's a pretty smart feller,,everything he's recommended me has worked out perfect..

01-25-2002, 09:37 AM
11.1 compression ratio piston will require you to run a mixture of 50% pump gas, and 50% race gas. The person selling you the parts will argue that 11.1 compression does not require race gas. But I have gernaded several 11.1 pistons on pump gas only. It may not happen right away. But sometime down the road it definatly will. Not as reliable as stock.

Top end gasket for $17. Why not spend the $35 and buy a complete top end gasket kit A from your local Honda dealership and replace everything as long as you have the top end apart. If your going to put in a new piston and cam, wouldn't new gaskets and seals make since too?

A camshaft controls the amount your valves open and how long they stay open. It does this by pushing directly on the rocker arms, which are connected to the valves.(it is alittle more complicated than that, but stay with me) The more you open your valves or the longer they stay open(or combination of the two), the more air/fuel mixture you can get into your combustion chamber. More air/fuel mixture = more power. Now in order to open the valves farther, the cam must press on the rocker arms with more force. Or to hold the valves open longer, the cam must be in contact with the rocker arms for a longer amount of time.
So with all of this in mind. A camshaft that will add power to your motor is doing it by either putting more force on the rocker arms, or staying in contact with them for a longer peroid of time(or a combination of both). This generates more heat and is what kills stock rocker arms.
Hotter or wilder cam = more wear on the rocker arms.
Not as reliable as stock.

Stiffer valve springs help close the valves on a "hotter/wilder" cam. The more you open the valve or the longer you leave them open, the less time you have to get them closed before the compression stroke. Installing a stiffer spring is extra insurance that your valves get closed every time.
If you "stick" a valve open during the compression stroke. You will be buying a new piston, new valves, and possibly a new cam.

Hardened rocker arms are either made out of a "harder" material or are coated in a "harder" material to stand up to "hotter/wilder" cams. Hardened rocker arms do not last forever. But they do last longer than stock ones.

Chris

Holty
01-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Are you sure about the 77mm piston only being .120 over and only making 305cc's?? He specifically told me and I quote " it will be a true 318cc's". He also said is was a 77mm piston that would need bored .80 over.

Now, about the rockers......is it o.k. to run the stock ones with the HD valve springs for a while. Maybe a year or less? Then when he gets money go ahead and get them later?

He said the $17 was for a gasket "kit".?

Oh, and i really appreciate the help here guys.

330exracer
01-25-2002, 10:28 AM
you will last with stock rockers for about 5 months depending on how much u ride. i know this because ive worn my stock rockers out on a 330 kit. i even wore out hard face in a year.

01-25-2002, 10:50 AM
I'm sure about the sizes. I've built a few 300ex's. he must have been thiniking that the 300ex is a 300cc machine. When actualy it's a 282cc. when you go to a 74 to a 76mm piston that's 2mm or .03937 thousands per mm. So 2mm is almost .080 over and the same for the 77mm. it's 3mm over (.03937x3) roughly .120 over. You only gain 16cc on a 300 with a .080 or 2mm bore so 16cc +282cc= 298 and so on for the 77mm (305) sorry to disapiont you. Honestly though the 76mm and 11.1 comp will wake the 300ex up. you will get a lot more torque witch will let you run taller gearing helping with topend and overall performance.

You will definatly need the new valve springs for the new cam, the high performance cam he told you about will give you more topend as the overall cam will do just that, all around performance. So it's your call on that one. either one will be fine. We haven't used hardfaced rockers either just regular oil cahnges and don't use cheap oil you should be fine.

01-25-2002, 10:56 AM
The topend gasket kit he quoted you was probly a cometic kit, It's good and inexpencive. It includes a head gasket, base gasket and a cam chain tensioner gasket. It's all you realy need. For a top end. Go with the Je pistion too. We have had some bad luck here lately with the wiesco!!!