PDA

View Full Version : Length-Width Ratios - Wheel Base

JOEX
08-15-2003, 05:23 PM
What are the prefered set ups of the a-arms, swing arm and axle to achieve the proper/better handling of the 400ex? For various type of riding.

I know certain types of riding/racing require a certain set ups to get the best handling. Is there a general ratio of length to width that covers most of them? Or is it different for each situation?

Those of you that explain this in some more lay-mans terms would be very appreciated:)

Joe

Chef
08-15-2003, 06:18 PM
As far as I understand it, the bikes that are longer than they are wide, by quite a bit, tend to track better in the whoops and such, but dont jump quite as well due to the longer swingarms or whatever. A shorter wheelbase turns quicker, and usually hooks up better due to the shortened swingarm. This is why you see TT quads with the shortened swingarms, and most of the MX quads with just a slightly longer wheelbase. My 400, set up for TT, is almost a square. And you can turn it around in a 6 foot circle pretty easily. The only reason it doesnt loop out in every gear is because its so low. My R is just a little longer than it is wide, and it still turns extremely well.

So basically, longer wheelbase is better for bumps and junk, and shorter is better for turnin. Make whatever ya want from what I just said...because I dont really know if I could do that again.:rolleyes: :blah:

08-16-2003, 03:15 AM
chef is right. you want your wheelbase longer then your width for mx. If you are equal width and length good luck getting through the whoops compared to a guy who has a proper set up. The thing i dont get is a stock 400ex's wheelbase is about 49 inches. right where guys widths are with some +2 a arms :huh Now you would need to get some +1 forward a arms or a +1 or +1 1/4 swingarm. I dont know how much longer you should be then wider but i dont think 1 inch is going to make that big of a difference :confused: Also what about the guys with plus 3 a arms at 50 inches whose width is wider then there length. How does that ride :confused: Thats whats got me confused. Also you want your rear end to be 1 - 2 inches narrower then the front so you dont have a three wheeler effect when turning. there are tons of things that go in to a proper handling quad that can get very long but you also want to have an offset as close to stock as possible on the front for best control.

JOEX
08-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the replies...

I did some rough measuring and came up with this for stock set up...

Wheel base 48"
Rear width 45 1/2" outside tire to tire. 35 1/2" center rib to center rib.
Front 42" outside tire to tire. 35" center rib to center rib.

How does this figure into the front being wider than the rear to avoid the three wheeler effect yet retain the a similar to stock ratio?

I understand being longer than wider is better for most set ups but how much should the difference be?

Joe

08-17-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by JOEX

Rear width 47"
Front 42"

Are you sure on a stock bike the rear is 5 inches wider :confused:

I understand being longer than wider is better for most set ups but how much should the difference be?

Thats what im trying to figure out ;)

How does this figure into the front being wider than the rear to avoid the three wheeler effect yet retain the a similar to stock ratio?

With the rear wider then the front it would be harder to turn and the front would push more.

JOEX
08-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
Are you sure on a stock bike the rear is 5 inches wider :confused:
No, it's not. It is 3 1/2" wider, I had to calculate the difference from the Lonestar axle to stock and I typed in the wrong number:rolleyes:
It is 45 1/2" .... i'll change the other post...

Joe

08-17-2003, 02:32 PM
No, it's not. It is 3 1/2" wider, I had to calculate the difference from the Lonestar axle to stock and I typed in the wrong number:rolleyes:
It is 45 1/2" .... i'll change the other post...

Joe

does it have stock tires? :confused: When i measured my quad when it was stock it was 45.2 inches in front and 44 in the rear. Im stumped :confused: not a big deal though. :)

Martin Blair
08-17-2003, 03:37 PM
take a look at your 400 you can easyaly see the rear is wider then the front.

JOEX
08-17-2003, 03:40 PM
does it have stock tires? :confused: When i measured my quad when it was stock it was 45.2 inches in front and 44 in the rear. Im stumped :confused: not a big deal though. :)
Yep, stock tire and rims, the fronts are off a Suzukie but they are the same size as Honda.

I am measuring sidewall to sidewall. Where did you take your measurements?

Joe

08-17-2003, 10:45 PM
i was also measureing sidewall to sidewall. :huh maybe someone else could help us out. :blah:

JOEX
08-18-2003, 05:21 AM
i ...... :huh maybe someone else could help us out. :blah:
PLEASE!:confused:

Joe

ZSK
08-18-2003, 10:40 AM
I know you are talking about a 400, but on my 300 (stock) the back was about 3 inches wider, when I put the 400ex a-arms on it the front is a miniscule amount wider, I think it handles much better but that could be the new arms:p

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/pa99acd692f287cd381ceea30c2e31b58/fb5fbc83.jpg

It's a little off center but I think it will help, the front sticks out about 1/2 an inch on each side.

Doibugu2
08-18-2003, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure the 45.5 on the rear is right. I measured mine awhile back when it was stock and it was about 46 (It was just a quick measurement)

I think the front is narrower than the rear. My parents shed was 48" and I remember the front going in easier than the rear.:confused: But I could be wrong.