PDA

View Full Version : when should i start riding again?

chucked
08-15-2003, 11:00 AM
i broke my ankle and tore the legiments in my ankle back in the end of june... the ankle bone is pretty much healed but i still got another month before i can start walking normal. theres 4 screws in there and 2 come out in the beginning of october. I would have asked my doctor when i can start riding again but i was afraid he would say a year or something and my mom was right there all the time. when do you all (preferibly people that have dealt with something like this) think i can start riding again? Of course im not doing anything crazy for awhile just some trail riding.

YamaWarr0121
08-15-2003, 11:03 AM
i've had my fair share of pins and screws and i say that wait until you are completely comfortable getting up and down and slightly walking on it, plus you gotta move your foot to hit the brake and shift..so when you feel good an comfortable to just cruise around as i always did just to keep riding then do it. once it starts hurting stop before you injure urself even more. iw ouldnt do any harder riding than just putting around until you get your pins out, and about 2 weeks after that when they actually feel better. cos you will notice your ankle is like 3 inches wide and you have no strength whatsoever using it. so after that im sure you will be fine. i have never once gone to the visit to the doctors after my pins/ screws were removed, i just got em out, waited a few weeks till it felt good and took off my soft cast, of whatever they put on to keep it still.

it's all up to you and how well you feel

chucked
08-15-2003, 11:09 AM
thats cool, actually right now my ankle is about 4-5 inches wide... i have to do these nasty full range of motion exercises similar to what people with arthritis have to do. My ankle was super stiff. I just got my hard cast off monday and i could only move it about 1/4" in each direction. Now I can move it about 2 inches or about half of what it should be.

250rmike
08-15-2003, 05:27 PM
i would wait until you can walk and/or run on it fine try jumping on it when you think your ready. mainly its whenever you feel like your ready. i know i broke my hand and the doctors said i could do things again but it still hurt when i moved it certain ways and i was supposed to race arenacross and decided not to because i didnt want to risk it and have to wait longer or have something else happen to it. so if i was you just wait until theres no more paina nd you feel your ready then slowly get back into riding dont just jump into riding aggressivly

JOEX
08-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Left foot or right foot? The shifting foot gets more up and down action and the breaking foot gets more down pressure action.

Maybe you can work it in as physical therapy:D

Joe

chucked
08-15-2003, 06:36 PM
its the left foot, and i wear boots so i dont have to flex it. yea that would work as good physical therapy.

Nausty
08-15-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by chucked
i broke my ankle and tore the legiments in my ankle back in the end of june... the ankle bone is pretty much healed but i still got another month before i can start walking normal. theres 4 screws in there and 2 come out in the beginning of october. I would have asked my doctor when i can start riding again but i was afraid he would say a year or something and my mom was right there all the time. when do you all (preferibly people that have dealt with something like this) think i can start riding again? Of course im not doing anything crazy for awhile just some trail riding.

Don't ask the doc. The doc will pry say never to cover his arse if something happens to the ankle again. I'd wouldn't push your ankle more than you think its capable of though that way you don't have to go through the whole process again.

Depends what kinda riding you do too. If you just xc i'd have to say soon but mx or something like would be a long time.:ermm:

chucked
08-15-2003, 08:33 PM
I just do trail riding around here for now. nothing special. I only have to stand up about 10% of the time

Nausty
08-15-2003, 08:42 PM
personally i'd say your good. Just use your ankle as a example of how quick things can go wrong though. Play it safe!

nakomis0
08-16-2003, 03:12 AM
I broke my lower left leg real nasty last october. They put a rod in it.

After 6 months I could and was riding again. Even hit a few small jumps, but it did hurt like hell.

Just depends on when your comfortable with it.