PDA

View Full Version : First Time Quad Buyer

seatec
08-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Hello guys. First of all. Cool site. Lotsa good people with good info.
I wanted to ask you for advice on what quad to buy. I am a Honda CRF450 rider but want something to bash around with in the woods during the wet/snowy season. I am definately a honda kind of guy and preferre to stay that way.
I have my eye on the TRX400EX but am not totally oppose to getting the Z400 or even the YFZ450 since i hear that those quads rock. Little info about my dimensions. Am a big guy, 6'4" and 280lbs clean on the hook. am a low intermediate rider on the bike. The Quad will predominantly be used in the (not to tight of) woods in the North East. No MX racing but the occasional trip to Raush Creek and or Tower city are definately in the plans. Also will do some HS.

All opinions are welcome.
Sorry if this question has been asked many times before but i couldnt find anybody that had asked with my dimensions and application.

Thanx guys.

Glow Plug
08-15-2003, 03:49 AM
If your just looks to piss around and do a little trail riding and no racing I would look at a used 400ex becasue lately there have been screaming deals on alot of ex's you can get for under 4k with quite a few mods :)

seatec
08-15-2003, 03:53 AM
Glow,
Thank you for you advice. It may be wiser to buy a used Quad but i am funny that way. I can never bring myself to buy a used anything. I always buy "new". I bet if i waited a little longer until the TRX450R comes out the prices of new TYRX400 would drop too, wouldnt they?

Glow Plug
08-15-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by seatec
Glow,
Thank you for you advice. It may be wiser to buy a used Quad but i am funny that way. I can never bring myself to buy a used anything. I always buy "new". I bet if i waited a little longer until the TRX450R comes out the prices of new TYRX400 would drop too, wouldnt they?

Yes I cand see how you don't like to buy used I'm the same way lol. But I think that the 400ex IF still produced the price will stay the same or expencence a small price drop but I wouldn't say that there will be a huge price drop :)

dragr13
08-15-2003, 03:58 AM
i have been a quad rider for several years, but just recently purchased my own machine. i ride very similarly (it sounds) to you, but i am a good deal smaller than you (5'9, 160). i LOVE my 300ex, it has the maneuverability that i crave and enough power to rip around like hell. mine is bone stock, so as i progress with my ability i can do all types of mods to keep the machine at my level - go take a look at some of the links on the project 400ex page on this site to see some modifications. so, with all that said, i think my advice to YOU would be to go with the 400ex, as it is a very similar machine with a bit more power, and we (maybe) have similar riding styles, but you have a bit more weight to move. what with the new 450 coming out, there are going to be mass sellings of 400s, and you should be able to pick one up pretty cheap.
by the way, i live in northern DE, so once you get your quad we should get together and ride!

seatec
08-15-2003, 04:13 AM
OK,
SO you think a big guy like me could ride a 400ex around?
i definately dont want to end up with one of those bulky SUV's (utility Quad) cause that just doesnt seem fun to me.

Glow Plug
08-15-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by seatec
OK,
SO you think a big guy like me could ride a 400ex around?
i definately dont want to end up with one of those bulky SUV's (utility Quad) cause that just doesnt seem fun to me.

yeah you could ride on around with ease its just if your gonig to like it or not i would try and trest ride one for a little while and go around and try other sizes on quads that you like

Doibugu2
08-15-2003, 04:20 AM
Go to the dealer and sit on a few. Each one sits a little bit differently.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the sport quads right now. I went with Honda strictly because of reliability. I got a buddy down the street from me, and i would bet he is close to the same size as you and he actually rides a 300.

I personally would go with the 400. Just realize it's the only sport quad that does not have reverse, if that is important. If you don't mind getting off the quad, get the Honda 400. Proven reliablity.

dragr13
08-15-2003, 04:27 AM
i think you could definetely enjoy yourself on a 400. if, after you ride for a while and get used to it, you decide you need more power there are tons of things that you can do to hop it up. if you buy used, you can spend a whole mess of money on speed products before your total cost will be equal to new quad prices, but you will have a better than factory quad! i agree wholeheartedly that 4x4's are not nearly as much fun. there's just something about a RWD machine that is DESIGNED to go over anything and everything. i'm a small guy, and my 300 will pull wheelies whenever and wherever i want; but i had a buddy with a bored and jetted 300ex, and it would piss on stock 400s. so imagine what a bored, stroked, jetted 400ex with an exhaust system would do for you....

seatec
08-15-2003, 05:07 AM
I want to thank you guys for all your advice(keep it comming)
Am gonna go to the dealer and try all of them and see which one has the ergnomics for me. I might have to get a high bend bar to accomodate my leg's but thats no big deal. WHat changes to the stock quads should i consder right away? I was thinking that i need those wide foot pegs with the netting ( the name eludes me at the moment) so i wont run over my onw foot.

Doibugu2
08-15-2003, 06:27 AM
I don't think you will have to do anything right away. I didn't do anything to mine till after the first year. But now I have bought shocks, tires, pipe, nerf bars, and some misc stuff. Gets addicting.

There is a thread out there that I started in the open forum I believe about "things to know" or something like that. There was some good info in there. Just do a search by my user ID and I'm sure you'll find it.

nerf bars are what you are thinking of.

Chanman420q
08-15-2003, 06:41 AM
well i know this is a honda site so ur gunna hear get a honda. But that 400ex is gunna feel week after getting off of the CRF. Those 450s make 50hp more or less correct? The 400ex makes 28. I think you should look into something with a bit more power, like the YZF or a predator. I think youd feel more comperable on those. This is gunna be like riding a Modded 250R ( CRF ) then getting on a blaster.( 400ex )

wilkin250r
08-15-2003, 06:46 AM
For a big guy like yourself, don't rule out the Bombardier DS650, or the Predator, they are the biggest sport quads out there, and would suit a guy your size very well.

I know the 400EX in nearly bulletproof, so I wouldn't be afraid to buy used. I don't think I would ever own a used Banshee, they don't take abuse very well, but a used 400EX still shouldn't have any reliability issues. I'd just recommend getting one that is completely stock, because you can't always trust somebody else's engine work.