PDA

View Full Version : Finally....power restored.

Guy400
08-14-2003, 11:52 PM
Lost power yesterday here at about 4:15. I got it back last night for about 5 minutes around 10:30 but then it went dark again. Woke up this morning to power.

Sure is hot laying inside an all brick home when it's 91 degrees out with no electric for A/C:(

08-15-2003, 12:18 AM
what the hell happened? i heardthe news talking about it or something all up & down the east coast....:huh

Giz400ex
08-15-2003, 12:27 AM
We got our power back around 10:00pm. I couldn't wait to get the A/C going again:D

Striker49
08-15-2003, 12:58 AM
Welcome back...lol.

I love KY Dam... :D

400exBro
08-15-2003, 01:28 AM
we lost power for 6 hrs...

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-15-2003, 01:48 AM
weird...im in holland (toledo), and it was out for about an 1hr if that. ever since then its been on.

XANDADA
08-15-2003, 03:04 AM
Mine didn't come back on till 5 minutes before I was leaving for work this morning:mad: . No water either cause our Mayor Cambell is a freakin idiot and didn't have back-up for our water since it is electrically pumped from Lake Erie. I had to sleep in the basement it was so hot in the city last night.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-15-2003, 03:15 AM
glad to see that you all survived the power outage. :D it is not fun at all being with out power. :macho

Glow Plug
08-15-2003, 03:23 AM
Sorry to sounds like an *** but I'm just giving ym opion. So What big deal you didn't have power for your precious a/c all night last nite and alot of today, Atleast you have A/C I have fans woopie. Yeah i know 90 is hot but right now it's 80 and its only 8:30 in the morning I'm not gonig to throw a hissy fit if I can't run my fan all day becuase the power is out. I could almost gautee that if that was happening out is Alberta and Sask it would get 5 minutes on the news. Why? Becuase were not as big as New York and tornto detroit etc etc Thus were not important??? And don't give me its going to affect the markets and everything. Well I don't think it would in a spectactular way becuase at 4 in the after noon the markets are pretty much closed

That is just MO so go ahead and flame all you want

MSL
08-15-2003, 03:35 AM
dang Glow Plug did you wake up with your panties in a knot this morning?

XANDADA
08-15-2003, 03:38 AM
Hey its cool glowplug, I survived! But did you ever try driving in a power outage in downtown cleveland during rush hour (no traffic lights & pandemonium cause everyone's freaking out)? I can't even fathom what Manhatten must have been like! That gets the blood pressure going a little. I had to throw out about $150 worth of food from the fridge though too. I could care less about the ac or lights. Something else you don't realize is no running water = no toilet which can get real ugly if it had been out for more than 1 day.

Hopefully you guys are all back up soon....

Glow Plug
08-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by MSL
dang Glow Plug did you wake up with your panties in a knot this morning?

No i'm still pissed about last nite from like 3 pm in the after noon to like 11 at nite thats ALL that was on my pesant tv (only 3 channels) And I was sick of it becuase all they were talking about is people please turn of your air conditiors becuase they use alot of power. So i'm just venting I guess I would be the same if i was there but its just getting on my nerves :grr:

nacs400ex
08-15-2003, 03:42 AM
I was getting so pissed about the power, my dad let me take his 400ex for a ride, cause my is still apart. Just got the power on now. 10:47. If I didnt get it on in another hour I would have freaked. Coming home not having water after labouring for a brick company. Mortar all over me,dirty as hell. :mad: Oh well I am happy now. Oh yeah power went out at 4:15 here as well.

Glow Plug
08-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
Hey its cool glowplug, I survived! But did you ever try driving in a power outage in downtown cleveland during rush hour (no traffic lights & pandemonium cause everyone's freaking out)? I can't even fathom what Manhatten must have been like! That gets the blood pressure going a little. I had to throw out about $150 worth of food from the fridge though too. I could care less about the ac or lights. Something else you don't realize is no running water = no toilet which can get real ugly if it had been out for more than 1 day.

Hopefully you guys are all back up soon....

Sorry but I couldn't relate to rush hour in a big city the biggest city I have ever driven though (well in the passenger seat lol) Would be Winnipeg And thats onlny about 700,000 people I do understand that it could be a little well alot frusteating (sp?) Don't worry I've been though not being able to flush to totel for a day and a bit pretty nasty. :confused2

dragr13
08-15-2003, 03:47 AM
i have to take both sides here...

my sympathies to those stuck without power for almost a whole day. there are no hotter places than city apartments with no airflow... and i can't even imagine being without running water. that's where i would lose my cool, not being able to flush, shower, or wash off my quad after i take it mudding. we all know how hard mud can be when it bakes in the 90 degree heat for a few hours....

but

D**N IT! what the hell do i care if your power is out! i was trying to watch 'the simpsons' and all they were showing me is the bedlam in NY. I WANT MY SIMPSONS! lol

zzbudzz
08-15-2003, 03:50 AM
i heard it was a virus or worm in the computers that knocked the computers out, then the whole freaking thing went to crap sucks with no power we were out 6 days in christmas of '00 that sucked it was like 25 degrees and no water ! now that sucks !

Adam202
08-15-2003, 04:03 AM
i lost power from 4:00pm yesterday till 9:00am this morning. i was at work when the power went out. it really sucked that this happend, we lost a couple hundred dollers in food. i heard a couple gas stations in detriot got looted when it went out. im sure theft doubled yesterday, think about all the security systems off. i saw several industrial buildings with garage doors open in the middle of the night. you could just walk in and take anything in the whole building. thats why it was declared a state of emergency cause it really is a serious problem.

QuadJunkies
08-15-2003, 04:32 AM
I think living in the Big apple would suck being with no power.:eek2: Any one hear how the crime rate was??? Even being hear in Idaho it caused computer problems that were network served back east (my work computers)I heard it had something to do with a DAM or something?????

wilkin250r
08-15-2003, 04:44 AM
The power outage was inconvenient, I'm sure, but 1/2 day? Has nobody ever had their power knocked out before, that 1/2 a day is such a big problem?

I can understand the traffic situation, and the people trapped in the subways for a few hours, but the rest is just whining. I live outside city limits, and a good storm will knock out the power for several hours. We have power outages of 1/2 a day probably six times a year, this last year it was out for 5 days. Now everybody on the east coast is complaining because there power is out for 15 hours?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is inconvenient, but I really don't think it deserves all this much attention. :ermm:

Adam202
08-15-2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The power outage was inconvenient, I'm sure, but 1/2 day? Has nobody ever had their power knocked out before, that 1/2 a day is such a big problem?

I can understand the traffic situation, and the people trapped in the subways for a few hours, but the rest is just whining. I live outside city limits, and a good storm will knock out the power for several hours. We have power outages of 1/2 a day probably six times a year, this last year it was out for 5 days. Now everybody on the east coast is complaining because there power is out for 15 hours?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is inconvenient, but I really don't think it deserves all this much attention. :ermm:
its a huge problem, when you dont have power for 15 hours+ all the food places and stores with freezers food is going to go bad, do you know how much money this cost people when things like this happen? you dont have traffic lights, all the police are busy directing traffic, and theives are taking advantage. theres still places without power right now too.

Glow Plug
08-15-2003, 04:59 AM

exactly :grr:

QuadJunkies
08-15-2003, 05:02 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is inconvenient, but I really don't think it deserves all this much attention. :ermm: We have our power go out about 3 days a week here in Kuna!~:grr: last week each outage was about 3-5 hours and the tremps were around 107 in the day and hig 90's at night About 6 years ago we had no power for almost 4 days due to a mass overuse and surged the power because of hot weather and it effected alot of other states around us ..So I do know all about being out of power:eek2:

Glow Plug
08-15-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
We have our power go out about 3 days a week here in Kuna!~:grr: last week each outage was about 3-5 hours and the tremps were around 107 in the day and hig 90's at night About 6 years ago we had no power for almost 4 days due to a mass overuse and surged the power because of hot weather and it effected alot of other states around us ..So I do know all about being out of power:eek2:

and was that on the news no it wasn't

Honda4trax250x
08-15-2003, 05:06 AM
i was at work at a supermarket when it happened and we went old school and used calculators for everything, then i went home played some board games using candles and a gas camping light then i was just sitting there and all of a sudden i heard a beep from my microwave and i walked to light swith flicked it on and it was back. we got it back around 10:30 last night

QuadJunkies
08-15-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
and was that on the news no it wasn't lol..Actually ..it was.....:p ;)

wilkin250r
08-15-2003, 05:26 AM
Crime and looting, yes, that's a problem. If you're a store owner, and all of your produce and frozen goods are going bad, boo hoo, you should have invested in a backup generator or insurance.

I can understand it making national news, because it's New York City, we've never had a power outage of this magnitude before, but I don't think it's a national tragedy or emergency.

wilkin250r
08-15-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
lol..Actually ..it was.....:p ;)

Yeah, but not a national tragedy...

QuadJunkies
08-15-2003, 06:06 AM
I think a few of you are getting way uptight!!! :eek2: Its done and almost over with so you wont have to hear much more about it in a few more days Im sure....:ermm:

TheRedRebel17
08-15-2003, 06:11 AM
Seems lkie some of you need a better TV carrier...:ermm:

I have about 70 channels, and only the special news stations had it :ermm: and rest of the channels were untouched:confused2

Adam202
08-15-2003, 06:22 AM
nobodys getting uptight, but its a big problem. of course there going to make it a huge deal on the news, media does that on any kind of information they can find. my work still isnt open and im really glad im not strapped for cash because some people are and really need to work. its not done and over with theres still alot of places without power [My work which is 10 mins away].

Guy400
08-15-2003, 06:23 AM
Well it's easy for those of you that had power to pass judgement on the rest of us that didn't. Being without A/C was an inconvenience, not an emergency. The problem is that I had to chuck about $200 worth of food in my refriderator, couldn't flush any toilets and had no water for about 15 hours. You tend to get a little thristy laying on the floor of a house that's 90+ degrees inside, your milk and beer is warm and there's no running water. The story here isn't that power went out for a little while, it was the magnitude of how many were affected. Over 50 million people went without power.

QuadJunkies
08-15-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Well it's easy for those of you that had power to pass judgement on the rest of us that didn't. Being without A/C was an inconvenience, not an emergency. The problem is that I had to chuck about $200 worth of food in my refriderator, couldn't flush any toilets and had no water for about 15 hours. You tend to get a little thristy laying on the floor of a house that's 90+ degrees inside, your milk and beer is warm and there's no running water. The story here isn't that power went out for a little while, it was the magnitude of how many were affected. Over 50 million people went without power. Been there.done that..Exactly. We had Appoex 600.00 worth of food in our freeezer when we had a big outage.I was lucky to have Troys work bring home alot of dry ice and save the food, my kids were really small then and the heat was the hardest and not being able to cook alot but on the BBQ'r..I hope everyone gets there power restored soon.....

08-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
weird...im in holland (toledo), and it was out for about an 1hr if that. ever since then its been on. my house flickered....that was it...the power at my dads shop went out for about an hour...but ,my house was not affected..my computer didnt shut down either cuz i got a battery back op surge protector

Ex King
08-15-2003, 07:17 AM
i was in mcdonalds and the power went out but it came back on

4wheelboy
08-15-2003, 07:53 AM
same here i was on the potty when the power went out for lik a minute:rolleyes: :eek2: :eek:

QuadTrix6
08-15-2003, 08:00 AM
IM BACK AS OF 5 MINUTES AGO :D , i had the day off from work but what an inconvience couldn't even pump gas :mad: good thing i had the XR50, cause i was cruising all over the streets knowing that the police were gonna have there hands full :eek: :D , good to be back

Adam202
08-15-2003, 12:31 PM
power came on at work at 2:30 today, but we had no water so we got sent home.

Flyin#3-1/2
08-15-2003, 12:59 PM
this reminds me of last summer when 3 chicks from my school were killed in a car accident, i knew them and my best friend was dating one of them, and we were over at his house waiting for it to come on, and unfortunately this was during the whole "heroic miners that were trapped in the cave and they all gave up hope and wrote letters saying how much they love their families and blah blah and then they survived so lets put it all over the news all over the country and declare them heroes" and they had the 3 girls killed (this was local news) for about a minute, all they said was blah blah were killed, kinda sad, and now back to the miners! which had been on for hours and days and days, and then now i heard they're thinking about making a movie about it:mad: :mad: my friend and i were so pissed off:mad:

and now i forgot what my point was so i'm going to shut up:D just thought i'd share that with you, the news sucks!!!!:mad:

Rip_Tear
08-15-2003, 02:20 PM
We didn't loose power untill 2 this morning and it was back on at 4 am! lol I won't have worried at all, our basement is like 10 degrees C... Thats why you all should have a concrete basement! Nice and cool down there! We even have a cold room down there! It will keep the Beer cold enough!

But glad to see you guys without power are getting it back and didn't suffer too much! :D

BTW I don't have AC the basement keeps our house COLD :eek2:

86350x
08-15-2003, 08:57 PM
We only lost power for about 15 min, I was work when it happened. I'm not sure if anything got scrapped or not though. Having all the machines shut down, and all the lights go out was pretty wierd.

For northern states that experience storms, (like mich) you should really have a generator. It will power almost your whole house, and will run over 6 hrs on a tank. We have one, and it's been a life saver, especially in the winter time.

Save up and get one, power loss won't be a big worry anymore.

Giz400ex
08-16-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
Sorry to sounds like an *** but I'm just giving ym opion. So What big deal you didn't have power for your precious a/c all night last nite and alot of today, Atleast you have A/C I have fans woopie. Yeah i know 90 is hot but right now it's 80 and its only 8:30 in the morning I'm not gonig to throw a hissy fit if I can't run my fan all day becuase the power is out. I could almost gautee that if that was happening out is Alberta and Sask it would get 5 minutes on the news. Why? Becuase were not as big as New York and tornto detroit etc etc Thus were not important??? And don't give me its going to affect the markets and everything. Well I don't think it would in a spectactular way becuase at 4 in the after noon the markets are pretty much closed

That is just MO so go ahead and flame all you want You wouldn't throw a hissy fit about the fan or A/C but you will about the TV:confused: :confused: :huh

XANDADA
08-18-2003, 02:26 AM
Good news was that power went back out on Friday morning at 11:00am so I got to go home from work and took the quad out for a ride :devil:

Here's a disgusting side note: Cleveland has closed all the beaches for next few weeks because since the power/water went out I guess all the sewers back flowed into the lake. Normal bacteria levels are anywhere from 20 to 100, with 300 being the cut-off for safe levels. Cleveland recorded the Lakefront at 4,500! :confused2 :mad:

44oEX
08-18-2003, 02:46 AM
OK so a couple of people lost power for a few hours big deal, no ac that is not so bad.

Last winter we got a real bad ice storm ( freezing rain ) and the ice gets on the power line and snaps them. It was really bad we lost power for almost three days, that means no water , no toilet, and no heat. and I know that for some of you no heat in the winter is not so bad but here in canada it does get pretty cold.
The biggest problem was the is the water pipes in the house freeze they blow up. IT WAS FREEZING.

So no ac is not that bad live with it
Your lucky you have one to start with

08-18-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
OK so a couple of people lost power for a few hours big deal, no ac that is not so bad.

Last winter we got a real bad ice storm ( freezing rain ) and the ice gets on the power line and snaps them. It was really bad we lost power for almost three days, that means no water , no toilet, and no heat. and I know that for some of you no heat in the winter is not so bad but here in canada it does get pretty cold.
The biggest problem was the is the water pipes in the house freeze they blow up. IT WAS FREEZING.

So no ac is not that bad live with it
Your lucky you have one to start with ok..i think since this is the bigest power outage ever.....i think there was more than just a few people who lost power.....if a few people lsot power..it owuld be like 1 street....

Adam202
08-18-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
ok..i think since this is the bigest power outage ever.....i think there was more than just a few people who lost power.....if a few people lsot power..it owuld be like 1 street....
no **** i dont know what the hell hes talking about? this was the biggest power outage ever. were talkin millions of people without power. not a small town or something.