PDA

View Full Version : frame gussets for xc?

Martin Blair
08-14-2003, 04:27 PM
are they needed?

Dave400ex
08-14-2003, 04:38 PM
If your going to be racing all the time then I would get them. Plus more then likely your frame needs a good PC job (mine does) so you might as well have it gusseted. Plus the Quadshop can mod your subframe to accept a 250r grab bar.

Martin Blair
08-14-2003, 04:41 PM
wont be racing all the time just 12 times a year in harescrambles, i dont really care about the grab bar, and dont reall need pc, so do i need them for strengt? or no?

Dave400ex
08-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Personally I still would. The extra strength would be nice and save yourself from having to mess with it down the road. Plus you should never have any problems with it. And again the PC will be nice as your stock paint will not last long.

08-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Its really not needed but if u like to be really careful id do it. But it's really not needed.

Rip_Tear
08-15-2003, 01:05 PM
Like previously said, it will save your frame from getting so deformed... And the PC will really help your frame from rusting out! :D

AtvMxRider
08-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
Its really not needed but if u like to be really careful id do it. But it's really not needed.

Hey dumbass that didn't make any sense:ermm: . If you are racing I would say yes get the frame gusseted. You want all the extra protection you can get.

Flyin#3-1/2
08-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
want all the extra protection you can get.

No glove, no love :D :D

haha, so if i want to race MX, i should get it gusseted right away right? where could i get my frame gusseted? would a normal shop be able to do it? and how much do you think it could cost? or do you think just anyone with experience with a welder be able to do it? (we have like 5 welders and my dad is very good at that stuff, he can weld pretty much anything, unless it's titanium:ermm: )

08-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Hey dumbass that didn't make any sense:ermm: . If you are racing I would say yes get the frame gusseted. You want all the extra protection you can get.

Get the penis out of your face and actualy read my post and it'll make sense u old pecker. :p :blah:

mcmike
08-15-2003, 04:23 PM
At least have the gussets put on the frame at the front shock mounts. See the frequently asked questions thread- Rico's frame gussets 101. I've raced XC on my 2001 400 ex for 2 1/2 years, and this is the only frame problem I've had.:)

toby400ex
08-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Is their a company that sells the pre cut metal pieces, or do ya got home grow the chit:ermm:

Martin Blair
08-15-2003, 05:42 PM
im having a local shop do it there good at wleding and with my help im sure they can maake them

Rip_Tear
08-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Is their a company that sells the pre cut metal pieces, or do ya got home grow the chit:ermm:

Or anyone who has some paper/carboard or something cut that someone else could use as templates? I want to do my own gussets, but it would be real helpfull if someone had some cutouts I could get off them! :D If not I will make them when I do mine, if anyone needs them after the snow flies :p

mcmike
08-16-2003, 04:02 PM
I'm no welder by any means, but I work with about 50 of them, They would rather make them for you and weld them on, than take the time to fit yours the way they want them. If you had a 1000 welders, you would have a 1000 different gussets. To every man his own. Any good welder can make gussets for little or no charge, if you pay them for the welding work. Its kinda like paying for the ice in your water at a resturant.

bmw500hp
08-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
are they needed?

Here are 2 old sayings that may just apply...

"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

"a chain is only as strong as its weakest link"

No one can predict when you will crack a shockmount...could be never, could be tomorrow..So, would you rather repair a cracked frame in the middle of season with a race in 3 days (or) be greasing up your arms and stem with 2 big steel gussets staring ya in the face and kinda sayin "i got ya covered" lol

Every time the quad is modified it somewhat alters or redifines the weak link. One day it will be the frame become that link It's just a matter of risk and time.

08-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Just don't do like I did and have your frame gusseted and PC'd only to tweak the front of the frame 1 month later by running into a tree...:mad: :grr: :mad:

cdalejef
08-18-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Just don't do like I did and have your frame gusseted and PC'd only to tweak the front of the frame 1 month later by running into a tree...:mad: :grr: :mad: DOH!

08-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
DOH!

You shut it...

It's your fault it's bent....:mad:

cdalejef
08-18-2003, 09:02 AM
You shut it...

It's your fault it's bent....:mad: :uhoh:

AtvMxRider
08-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
DOH!

LMAO. :devious:

Rip_Tear
08-18-2003, 01:28 PM
You shut it...

It's your fault it's bent....:mad:

lol, Jeff do you have "templates" for your gussets, or do you guys just make them from scratch? And what kind of metal do you use?

Thanks!

cdalejef
08-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Rowlrag makes them up as he goes. He's done a ton of them so he probally has them memorized by now. PM him about the metal.