PDA

View Full Version : For all you that has a 440

exrider_400
08-14-2003, 04:06 PM
I want to put a 440 kit on my 400. What all do you gotta get along with the kit and how hard is it to put in? Would I have to get a bigger cam and v. springs? Whats the scoop?

Big - D Racing
08-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Really there is nothing else you need. And you do have to have the work professionaly done, because your stock sleeve in your engine has to be machined out, and then the 440 one preesed in in it's place, and then the sleeve haso be boredand hon to specific tolerances to match the new 440 piston Most shops will do all this stuff for around $300-400, not counting the price of the kit. The cam, valve springs, head porting work are not needed although if you want to feel the true power of the 440 get all that stuff done too. Scoops, are air scoops that help direct wind on the engine to keep it cooler. They cost around $60 and can be put on it a matter of minutes yourself.

nakomis0
08-14-2003, 06:41 PM
Well you do have to have a machine shop do your machine work.

Basically just press in the new sleeve. I can't recall how much that cost but if i was to guess I would say under $100.

Everything else besides maybe valves and valve springs you can do yourself.

IMO if you not doing a blown out 440, you might aswell just save the extra money the 440 sleeve costs and spend that on a nicer higher compression motor that doesnt need a sleeve installed. Like stock bore or some 426 or something.. not sure how big before ya need a new sleeve. A nice compression would be 11:1

That with the biggest cam you can afford would be a nice setup. (Bigger cams will involve hardened rockers and stiffer springs)

Top that off with a bigger carb, and that would be a tight basic setup.

My sig. has a few other stuff you can do.