PDA

View Full Version : Installed a PRM skid today, weird noise?

Bender
08-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Ok today I snuck some money out of my secret stash the gf doesn't know about. I bought a PRM full body skid(.190 the thick one). So when I took the 400 for a test drive in the woods, it makes a weird howling hollow type noise? It's not bad most of the time, unless I lugg the engine a little.Is this some kind of accoustic vibration from the skid? It doesn't seem to be vibrating when I put my hand to the skid. Anyone noticee this before?

wyndzer
08-14-2003, 02:07 PM
You are hearing vibrations and reverbs from the motor. This is very common for most people when first riding with a full skid.

PF300ex
08-14-2003, 02:51 PM
The same thing happened to me. I used weather stripping between the frame and my skid plate and that took care of the sound.

Bender
08-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Cool glad to know I'm not the only one" hearing things". Well now I'll save up for the PRM rear skid. So far I'm really impressed with the quality of the full length skid. It may not be the lightest thing around, but it seems pretty hardcore compared to the wimpy AC skid that was hanging next too it.

redroost85
08-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Bender, I had the same thing happen to me when I installed mine. I got some of that stuff you put around the rim of a truck bed before you put a cap on. I ran some strips around the frame to deaden the vibrations...no complaints from me. Now to get a skid for the new 400...:D

craftyex
08-18-2003, 04:42 AM
i have a prm rear skid (swing arm) it's holding up ok. i ride very rocky trails. i need to get a frame skid and was looking into prm as well. does anyone have experience with the 1.25 thickness. not sure wich to get .125 or .190. i should probably go with .190 but don't want anything too heavy. any feed back is appreciated.

QuadTrix6
08-20-2003, 07:02 AM
yep its just vibration the rubber heater hose works good to stop the vibrations

Rip_Tear
08-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by PF300ex
The same thing happened to me. I used weather stripping between the frame and my skid plate and that took care of the sound.

Did it not come with foam or something with it? I installed one on my friends DS and it came with stripping so it didn't make any noise...

CowsBitePeople
08-21-2003, 12:11 PM
i have the same noise

mx400
08-21-2003, 12:47 PM
i just installed my PRM skids and no noise so far. i have rode with them for a total of 3 hours and no noise so im happy.

Bender
08-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Also to clarify, I'm talkin about the full belly pan skid, not the rear skid. I'm not get vibrating type noises. I'm getting an echo like hollow sound(for lack of a better description). Like the engine noise is bouncing off the pan and back towards me. Mostly when I'm in the woods. I'm pretty much used to it by now though. But it kinda creeped me out at first. It sounded like I was out of oil.

mx400
08-21-2003, 04:22 PM
yea i was talkin about engine skid, but i also installed a swingarm skid. all the noise is is your motor making noise which is reverberating(sp?) off the engine skid.

PF300ex
08-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Did it not come with foam or something with it? I installed one on my friends DS and it came with stripping so it didn't make any noise...

No I think AC is too cheap to do that. I used weather stripping and you can barely hear a noise.:D