PDA

View Full Version : EX troubles

steelelt
08-14-2003, 09:04 AM
Guys, i have a 2000 honda EX with stock motor other than white brothers silencer...

I took a friend riding on back with me the other day, hitting big water puddles like 3-4 inches deep, hitting them hard etc...

It would drown out a few mins later and backfire big time...let it sit for a min and it would go like normal...took the friend home and tried to drive home...about 3miles into trip home the bike just died...

I could get it going again after a few mins by chocking the heck out of it, then it would go for maybe 1/4 a mile then die again. This happened 4 other times with it running less and less till it came to the point where it wouldnt start anymore and i had to push it home.

Any idea what might be wrong ? Fouled a plug maybe ?

dpizz450
08-14-2003, 09:18 AM
might have gotten some water in the air box or carburator......the reason its backfirin is because u prolly aint rejetted it or have u?

steelelt
08-14-2003, 09:36 AM
No i didnt rejet it, ive had this quad for a few years and its never backfired like that, course ive never gone thru water like that before too....But serious, it doesnt backfire at all normally.

If water was in the carb how long would it take before it dried out or do i have to take it apart to get it out ?

dpizz450
08-14-2003, 09:40 AM
well u mite have gotten water in ur engine :confused: ....mite have to take it apart go check ur oil n if its like a milky color....ur screwed.......and about the backfirin....how long have u had ur pipe tho? cuz usually it'll backfire if u dont rejett after u get a pipe on it

steelelt
08-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Had the pipe on for a second year now...

Im not screwed if the oil got water in it as long as i change it tho right ? Im gonna check it and maybe change it...

Sigh this sux...never had a quad die like this from water....4 inches of water at that...blah

dpizz450
08-14-2003, 09:45 AM
hey do u have AIM or AOL so i can talk to u on there......:confused: :confused:

GOMER007
08-14-2003, 09:46 AM
if you got water in your oil then just change it right away and make shour that all the water is out of the air box rejet the carb and tell us what you out come is.

steelelt
08-14-2003, 10:19 AM
yeah im def gonna change the oil now to see whats up...

Im not gonna rejet the carb as it doesnt need it, it never needed it for the last two years it shouldnt all of a sudden need a rejet. It has something to do with eating water somehow...

Would a fouled plug that got wet or anything have anything to do with it ?

flyin#5
08-14-2003, 10:40 AM
think of it this way, maybe you thought it didnt need a rejetting but it really did.... now it just had enough. but its a 4 stroke so i dont think that would be your problem. plust factory jetting is usually rich anyways. check your airbox, drain your carb, and change the oil.

sly400ex
08-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Put a new plug in (check to see if you are lean or not) change the oil, maybe a few times just to flush it out, clean your air filter and also check to make sure the electrical connections around the battery and other areas are dry and corrosion free. I bet that will take care of it all. I've completely submerged my quad and it runs great!!!!:D ......after I did the above.....:rolleyes:

steelelt
08-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks Guys !! Ill get on it tomm and let ya know