PDA

View Full Version : CT vs Hetrick

Chanman420q
08-14-2003, 06:18 AM
Which do u think is going to give the best overall power, best sound, give the best look and which do u think is built the best? Ive never ridden either one of these so i dont know what to hope for in each of them. Help me decide!

an its for a 400ex, the CT pipe would be the Midrange and the hetrick race one.......

skemp
08-15-2003, 02:01 PM
I have the Hetrick exhaust, and it's an awesome pipe. Great overall power. It sounds good, but it is loud. I don't have any experience with the CT pipe, but have heard it is a nice pipe. Just doesn't get much recognition on this site for some reason. What strikes me most about my exhaust is the quality. It is very nicely made and looks great.

86atc250r
08-15-2003, 03:30 PM
I have a CT pipe (as well as a Sparks, LRD, and an FMF powercoreIV)...

The Hetrick and CT look identical - it would not surprise me at all if the same fabricator makes both... Have a look:

http://www.hetrickracing.com/Hetrick%20Racing/400exsilencer.jpg
http://www.hetrickracing.com/Hetrick%20Racing/400exsil2.jpg

CT:
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/images/tmp/ctpipe.jpg

Note that the mount bracket and even the location of the rivets in the bodies are the same...

The one thing that I don't like about these pipes is that the header is almost an exact replica of the stock header - tube diameters, bends, etc... In fact, if the stock header were a tad shorter, this silencer would slip right on.

08-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
I have a CT pipe (as well as a Sparks, LRD, and an FMF powercoreIV)...

Which is your personal favorite? Im looking into hetrick, LRD or sparks, and CT if its the same as hetrick. I heard sparks has very poor quality (ceramic rusts) but the best power. and the hetrick is very quality and almost as good as sparks. Where does the power come in on a hetrick and sparks? mid to top? Hows the LRD? Thanks in advance.

Z400Racer8
08-15-2003, 03:40 PM
CT, Hetrick, Graydon, and Alba are all made by Power Pros. to the companys specs some of the pipes look very similar none of them are exactley the same.

86atc250r
08-15-2003, 03:52 PM
For power, the Sparks is the best. However, build quality is poor.

For build quality, the CT/Hetrick is the best. It doesn't have any of the problems that the Sparks does like hitting the caliper, and although I haven't had to pack it yet, it appears like it will be much easier to pack.

The LRD had some of the same problems the Sparks has - this is one of their older pipes, maybe they've corrected the newer ones?. In addition, it caused a jetting issue I could not fix without going to a leaner needle. I would never have guessed that a pipe that looks so similar to the Sparks would make such a drastic jetting change. About the only difference is the length of the two header tubes before the collector and the collector diameter.

The FMF was a slip on - sounded nasty due to it's rolled end cap. It also had serious problems seizing onto the stock header pipe. Power seemed fine although not as good as the Sparks.

Power delivery with all these pipes was very similar - the Sparks delivered the best drag times, but not by much. Also my Sparks is an X4. My racing partner has an X6 on a stock bike, it will typically outrun any other piped only 400 we've put it up against.

Don't you hate compromises?

doublezero
08-15-2003, 06:00 PM
how much is the CT pipe?

08-16-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
For power, the Sparks is the best. However, build quality is poor.

For build quality, the CT/Hetrick is the best. It doesn't have any of the problems that the Sparks does like hitting the caliper, and although I haven't had to pack it yet, it appears like it will be much easier to pack.

Don't you hate compromises?

How is the performance on the hetrick/ct compared to a sparks. I might have to go with a more quality product like hetrick even though it may be slower instead of one i will have problems with like sparks, although sparks does have more power. I hate compromises :blah:

kj400
08-16-2003, 05:03 AM
I have the hetricks pipe with the supertrapp spark arrester and it quiets it down alot, I had the powerbomb and t-4 before, with the spark arrester the hetricks is way quieter.

CBRSLIDER
08-16-2003, 07:14 AM
I have raced the last 6 races with the Hetrick Pipe and love it. I have no experience with the CT but looking at the pics that Gabe posted they look to be the same exact pipes. What's inside of them is unknown. I love the quality of the Hetrick Pipe. I don't know what the price is on the CT but the Hetrick is very good for a whole system compared to Sparks. I am really happy with Hetrick customer service. They are just really nice people to deal with. If you have any questions just ask.

Ray

86atc250r
08-16-2003, 08:45 AM
They're both straight thru glasspack designs...

As far as power goes, unless you are strictly drag racing, you probably won't be able to tell much difference in them.

08-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Whats up with the dyno on hetricks website? Its not really makin me want to go with one. The mid range is about the same or a little worse then stock. :huh

http://www.hetrickracing.com/400dyno.jpg

cals400ex
08-16-2003, 11:29 AM
i don't think you will notice a big difference with any pipe. i have the sparks x-6 stainless steel. it did provide a power increase but nothing out of this world. i have no experience with any other pipes. by the way, what jetting do most of you use with your sparks pipes? most companies that i have seen do not have the correct jetting specs. i know that jetting has many variables like temp, humidity, altitude, different mods etc.

Bender
08-16-2003, 06:02 PM
On CT's website they have a link to an article I think Dirrtwheels or some other mag did on best slip on gains. CT's pipe seemed to make the most power through out the RPM range of all the pipes tested. CT has been around for a long time and they've done all kinds of wonderful things for the 250R's, it's nice to see them making stuff for 4 strokes now. I'm sure that the CT pipe is of very high quality. I was goning to go with Sparks, but for that much money I have heard many bad things about quality. I'd rather have a pipe that lasted longer, even if I lost .2 hp or something. Christ did you see how well the WB E-series did against sparks? It wasn't much of a difference. Except for the price.

redrooster
08-17-2003, 04:56 AM
Go with CT Racing slip on best pipe for gains and qaulity and has a nasty bark to it too. And dynos show it does have the best for gains all the way 1st thru 5th not choppy like other pipes just nice and steadily rises above the rest

skemp
08-17-2003, 08:58 AM
I went from a WB slip on to my Hetrick exhaust on a built motor, and I was surprised at the difference myself. I prefer seat of the pants over a dyno any day of the week. It is the only thing that matters as far as I am concerned. :) I am, however, most impressed by the quality.

bmw500hp
08-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
Which is your personal favorite? Im looking into hetrick, LRD or sparks, and CT if its the same as hetrick. I heard sparks has very poor quality (ceramic rusts) but the best power. and the hetrick is very quality and almost as good as sparks. Where does the power come in on a hetrick and sparks? mid to top? Hows the LRD? Thanks in advance.

That power curve is good...stong on the low and low mid...smooth through the mid with good power up top.

I agree, Sparks performance impressive, Sparks should step up to the materials needed to match performance to Quality! At what the cost of manufacture is for these pipes it is a shame!

bmw500hp
08-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER
I I am really happy with Hetrick customer service. They are just really nice people to deal with. If you have any questions just ask.

Ray

I am massively customer service oriented as well..I have yet to purchase from Rich Hetrick but have been very impressed with His/there willingness to help and timely return of the phone calls/e-mails.

08-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
That power curve is good...stong on the low and low mid...smooth through the mid with good power up top.

are you talking about the hetrick? I have heard good things about it and if the quality is as good as they say i will definately go with it over sparks. How much slower is it than sparks X-6? Thanks for all your help everyone :)

bmw500hp
08-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Yes, Hetrick...you should call Hetricks and ask about the power comparison...

INFANTRY RACING
08-17-2003, 06:09 PM
you can't go wrong with the hetrick. I've been running it since it cam eout and the only problems i have had with it is due to me rushing a install.

Flyin#3-1/2
08-18-2003, 08:36 AM
so what would be the best system for trail riding, dragging, and mx tracks?? right now i have a Big Gun slip-on, is that any good? i haven't ridden it yet, so i can't compare it to any other 400's i've ridden.