PDA

View Full Version : why does bore engines do so much better than others

yellowrider
01-24-2002, 03:53 PM
hey this is sorta hard to explain i have been wondering about this for a couple of weeks....

why is it if you get a 330kit you will leave a 400ex??

my next question is why does it beat a warrior when a warrior is 350cc

and a warrior which is already 350cc why wont it beat a 400??

does anybody get what i am trying to say

another thing a 44o kit beats a stock 660 why is that ??

i think this sport is becoming a big butch of money hungry losers!!

anyways has anyone thought of htis before ??

trx400ex
01-24-2002, 04:03 PM
:rolleyes: theres more to engines than displacement, unless this is all one big conspiracy!:rolleyes:

mikeboone
01-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. You could take a FULLY modded 300ex and beat stock Banshees all day in a drag. The cc's of an engine are not the sole determiming factor of how much Horsepower it will produce. You can have two motors with 300cc that produce alot different power. A stock 350 cubic inch motor in a Z-28 make about 300hp. I have a friend with a 68 Camaro Pro Mod with a 358 cubic inch that makes about 300 more hp!!!

Leo
01-24-2002, 04:27 PM
there is more to most big-bore jobs than just an increase in engine displacement.. usually the compression ratio is increased (quite signifigantly)..

Leo

** moving to the motor forum **

yellowrider
01-24-2002, 04:28 PM
i dont see why the wont just make them like that instead of cutting the consumers short with power... i mean its crazy

i bet you could get a 250ex faster than a stock 400 if you bore it to a 300cc size motor .....

umm this is so confusing there is so much i want to say but nothing makes since

when they was making thease things why didnt they see how much power the could get with it still being reliable and then just my the displacement bigger than stock.. just amagine how much money you will save instead of trying to always make you quad go faster.. i really think honda should do that...

there is something that i probable aint getting if so please tell me

explain this all to me if you can this is driving me nuts!!

NJ300ex
01-24-2002, 04:43 PM
They don't mod the engines from the factory because it would cost alot more and that would not make the consumers happy.

One word- spellcheck

yellowrider
01-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Sorry i didnt even think about reading it over i have bad promblems about proof reading i seem to not believe in it...

well its better then getting a slow piece of junk

yellowrider
01-24-2002, 05:17 PM
just think about it if they took time and did that how much better there honda quads will be..

i must say they have the best handling in the world ...

but there motors are always stock and under power to others in there class. that what sucks about honda i think they should start looking into that kind of stuff.

hangman
01-24-2002, 05:42 PM
On that same train of thought , maybe they have it right concentrating more on handling and overall performance than on straight line acceleration and top speed. Ask anyone what the best sport quad ever made is and they usually say the 250r which was slower than the Tecate4 but handled much better. The 300ex consistently wins the midsize sport shootouts even though it is slower than the Warrior and Mojave. I read in the magazines all the time that the 400ex posts quicker lap times than the Raptor, DS650, and Banshee. On the few occasions which I have ridden with Raptors, of course they spank me in a drag race, but I can always hang with them in the woods. I can run off and leave most stock Banshees in the woods. Maybe they are on to something.

barbwire44
01-24-2002, 05:44 PM
Just remember this old expression "Theres no replacement for displacement!"

Also i haven't seen any modified 300ex beat a stock Banshee.

yellowrider
01-24-2002, 06:16 PM
yeah i know what you are saying but still i would like to see honda beat everything every where like geting better lap times better in drag races ... just everywhere we all no they can do it ... but why wont they??

250r are the best in my opinion but they could have been better
reverse
more power and speed
and with the handling you can not beat it

but honda seems not to worry about there size in motor
like the 450ex everybody thinks that will come out i say your 440 will smoke them.....
but anywho why would you want to make a 440?? when they have a motor that is much larger that is sure to sale with all of us buying hondas

what is the deal??
if i was honda just go ahead and leave all the competion and they will make big $$$$

then in like 4 to 5 years some other company will try to do the same but it wont work well ... for ex... raptor

i really think honda has all the keys to building the best four wheeler that anyone has ever seen but why wont they do it ...

01-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Honda didn't get the reputation they have today by making engines that are temperamental or short lived. The machines they make put out respectful amounts of power with extreme reliability. Once you start modding these engines the jetting becomes more critical,the oil needs to be changed more often, the valves need to be adjusted better and more often,all of you with full race engines know the scoop. The stock machines will run forever with almost non existant maintenance. And even if they came with the fastest powerplant of all time, guys would want hop up parts to beat their buddy with the same machine. it is just human nature.

Guy400
01-24-2002, 06:47 PM
In addition to what Leo said, many other mods are performed when these bore kits are installed. You'd be surprised at how little gain you'd get if you just went to a 440EX if you retained stock compression, stock cam, stock exhaust, stock filter and just correct jetting. Almost all guys that go with a bore kit have head pipes, silencers, aftermarket cam, port work, increased compression, aftermarket filters, etc.

Poncho
01-24-2002, 06:57 PM
I believe guy has hit the hammer right on the nail.:D

yellowrider
01-24-2002, 08:29 PM
you are missing the whole point of this conversation i a saying why dont they do what people with 440 kits do i am talking about the full package i am sure they can get some kind of discount or make there own speical stuff just to make it reliable ...

honda seems a little tight if you ask me ... when i get my honda back from the shop i tell you how it runs ... it probably didn't fix it by adding all the stuff cause where the leak was ... anyways i took pictures before i took it there it was not part of a head gasket or anything it was like through the moto they was surprised that it was even running. anyways honda should produce more power some how instead of going out cheap!! just my opinion...

soon i be getting a new 4 wheeler i never kept a 4 wheeler over a year or so then honda can kiss my butt.. only thing i like of honda is 400ex and honda ranchers those two are my favorite ..

as for 300ex i will never buy one again but i wont sale mine but it wont be long till it messes up for good.. and the sad part i usally never wreck something always happends to the motor.. and i change oil once every 2 weeks
which is good considering
i ride it like total of 4-5 days

anwyas maybe somebody that produces honda 4 wheelers or helps produce will share my opinion to the boss man..

01-24-2002, 09:02 PM
i really think hoda should bring back the 250r, only a 265, and better hadlin, and an swet power curve, like the 86 version, make a ton of money

Chef
01-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by dirtdad
Honda didn't get the reputation they have today by making engines that are temperamental or short lived. The machines they make put out respectful amounts of power with extreme reliability. Once you start modding these engines the jetting becomes more critical,the oil needs to be changed more often, the valves need to be adjusted better and more often,all of you with full race engines know the scoop. The stock machines will run forever with almost non existant maintenance. And even if they came with the fastest powerplant of all time, guys would want hop up parts to beat their buddy with the same machine. it is just human nature.

Exactly, I have to change my oil after every weekend, and every 35 hours it starts leaking around the head gasket and i have to re-torque the d**n thing..

kj400
01-24-2002, 10:41 PM
Isn't that what C-dales trying to do right now?

JOEX
01-24-2002, 10:44 PM
Not everybody can handle a high performance quad, or any other vehicle for that matter (I am one of them). As I become a better rider and get used to power have now, I will then consider building the motor.

If a manufacturer were to build a "built to the nuts vehicle" who would buy it? Probably only racers or people with alot of riding experience. That eliminates a large portion of the market.

IMHO the 400ex is a fine machine in the stock format. It is also a good base to build on and to customize to fit ones needs. Not all mods fit every riding condition.

Remember, there is more to riding than racing and going fast.

Joe

yellowrider
01-25-2002, 07:19 AM
man.. anybody could handle it they might have to get used to it i have no promblem handling modded up banshees if i ride them for a hour or two ....

well i think they should still do it !!!!! i dont care who could handle it or not i want one like that!! it would be awesome

cannadale does that 440 speed thing merbob ..... anyways it would be sweet if honda could do it to anyways..

i am starting to loose respect for honda 4 wheelers .... and i may be getting a suz or something later on i dont know yet depends on if i get that job and how much money i want to spend on my car

anyways talk to you guys and girls later

later
ken

TRX250EXER
01-26-2002, 12:37 AM
The thing you said about a 440 beating a 450ex if they do ever make it. Im not so sure if that is true. I have no idea about the 440's but just how much horsepower do you get out of a normal 440 kit. I hear the 450 engine stock is like 55 hp and the 400 is like only 27. can you really add 25 to 30 hp to a 400ex just by making it a 440. What is the most anybody has gotten out of their 400ex. (excluding that guy with the turbo 400ex or nitrous!) thanks

yellowrider
01-26-2002, 07:33 AM
honda should put q higher compression pistons is there racing quads. you should be able to get the max horspower when you buy it or less you bore it out or something that woud be totaty different

honda is cheap i hate to say this they are tight greedy *****'s they are to worried about getting sued or if they go over the weight limit its ridiclis.. honda is not reliable like everybody thinks there is no 4 wheeler acturally reliable if you think about it..

oh well i prob just mad right now cause i dont have my honda so dont pay attention to me..

Chef
01-26-2002, 10:19 AM
I am getting around 52 I think...

NJ300ex
01-26-2002, 02:35 PM
yellowrider- you saying no quad is reliable if you think about it is pretty ignorant. The reason your 300ex seized or whatever happened to it was because of rider abuse. You abused it by not breaking it in and not taking care of it. I bet you haven't changed the oil in it yet or have had the valves adjusted.

mrusk
01-26-2002, 08:09 PM
yellowrider-
After readign all your post, you give me the impression that your 12. Most quads are relizble if you maintain them. If you only trail ride your quad casually, and due maintence i garantte it will last you 10 years. How can you say you are loosing respect for honda because they are not engines that are built to full potential? Look at Yamaha and all the other manufactures, they all are NOT BUILT TO THE MAX. Heck look at ford, chevy, or any company that makes a motor. No company builds a motor that has every inch of power out of it.

One more thing- You say a 250r would be better if it had reverse. You outta your mind? If you can't get off the quad and turn push it, you dont belong riding it.

My 2 cents.

Matt

R-Crazy
01-27-2002, 09:21 AM
every 2 weeks? that seems like a lot. I maybe change mine 2-4 times a year. i probably should do it more but it runs fine.

dave

yellowrider
01-27-2002, 02:20 PM
i dont see how you can say that i havent took care of it ..?
you are such a **** head even the people there said it was a HONDA defect and this time tehy have it right .. anyways it should have been RIGHT in the first plAce.. as for not taking care of it ..... i just ride it like anyone else that knows how to ride a 4 wheeler does i can see if you are some old guy putting around when you first bought the 4 wheeler ... but people that take time out and practice everyday for like 2 years isn't going to put putt all the time