PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle

rossano
01-24-2002, 02:16 PM
i hope this isn't a dumb, played out question but...

why don't quads come with twist throttles? i'm guessing it's because when beginners take quads through rough terrain, the thumb thing prevents them over-revving into oblivion?

i was raised on dirtbikes, and would like to know if i'll run into trouble with the twist. i'll tell ya one thing, thumb throttles kill my thumb after15-20 minutes

thanks for your input

mikeboone
01-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Since you very accustomed to bikes; you would prolly be happy with a twist. I wouldnt recommend it to everybody though. A guy at our local shop had his Banshee bored,new domes,ported, etcand had a twist put on. He picked up his bike and took it for a spin. He shifted from 1st to 2nd and twisted away. The bike stood straight up but he was just giving it more gas by hanging on!! He finally got it back down andstopped. He then had the mechanic put the thumb throttle back on. :D

BANSHEEadam
01-24-2002, 02:40 PM
When I had my 300ex, I loved my twist throttle. I would never have traded it off. But now with my banshee I'm going to stick with a thumb, just for my own safety....I'd rather have my thumb hurting than being in a full body cast.
Otherwise, I never had any problem with my twist. I would really recommend it to someone, especially with growing up on dirt bikes. Go get yourself one, you'll love it.

01-24-2002, 05:02 PM
I had dirt bikes from age 9-13. then I got my recon, then my 400ex. I like the twist throttle much better than the thumb throttle. Only on rides over 6 hours, my thumb would get sore. but I like twisting a throttle better than flipping it. Powerslides are easier for me with a twist throttle. I recomend one. Wheelies take a little bit to get uset to though, but you'll catch on quick.

Adam F
01-24-2002, 05:18 PM
anyone got any writeups on a conversion from thumb to twist? How hard would it be to switch back if you don't like it?

Nausty
01-24-2002, 10:06 PM
DON'T GO WITH TWIST THROTTLE ON A QUAD!!!! Twist throttles can turn around and bite you in the a**. None of you will probably believe me but when i was 12 on my yz80 I was jumping the street and ditch and landing in our yard. I was ramping up the other side of the road and landing right past the side walk and any way I hit it in 4th gear on my yz80 and my front tire hit where the side walk comes up and I got jolted to the side of the bike and back plus when I took off I regripped the throttle so I ended up hitting our house 4th gear wide open on my yz80 because I couldn't get up on the bike with out using the twist throttle. I am guess I hit our house going 40-50 mph and i'm shaking thinking about it right now. I could of died very easily if I woulding of went through our garage window. my mom got most of it on video tape on the take off but dropped right before I hit the house. I shiver everytime I see it because my mom screams the scariest voice like I had died. I am guessing you will just think oh it won't happen to me or I would of just bailed off if my quad did that but when things are happening so fast you can't really think ahead your just trying to do the most logical thing as fast as you can in situations like that. Plus on a quad it is harder to use a twist throttle in the 1st place because of how you crouch down and crank the wheel when turning unlike a dirt bike. Plus when you get sand in there and stuff your throttle will stick a lot. Thumb throttle you don't hardly have to worry about any of that. Anyone see the "you gotta see this" episode with the banshee going into the crowd after the throttle stuck?

01-25-2002, 05:10 PM
It takes time to get used to it on a quad. you can't really compare a twist throttle on a dirt bike and a quad. A tip, stick your elbow out more. The throttle twists with less "twist", and it keeps your hand fairly level. I will admit though, twist throttle is generally a bit more dangerous than thumb throttle.

DEAL
01-25-2002, 08:21 PM
I've always ridden quads , so I'm used to a thumb throttle , I've ridden a few bikes with them , one was a 200m with one , i found it hard as **** to ride.

R-Crazy
01-25-2002, 09:45 PM
i have it on my 300. wheeling is a little more difficult. it makes more of an aggresive rider though, i think. i love it. i think u would like it too.

dave

01-26-2002, 02:38 PM
I recently put a twist on my 400. It took about 2 hours to get used to and after that its easy. Still workin on wheelie's though. And on the question of it being easy to switch back.... Its very easy, maybe 30min tops.

R-Crazy
01-27-2002, 02:50 PM
i can ride either on easily.

dave

roostfrom250ex
01-27-2002, 06:17 PM
You have to excercize your thumb muscles.
You know how to do that?

01-29-2002, 07:17 AM
I just installed one about 2 weeks ago and I love it. It's all in what you like and want. It is not hard to install, it took me alone about 15 minutes and that was mostly taking off the plastic. Wheelies are harder but I have rode dirt bikes all my life and have also owned 3 street bikes. So I am one that is used to riding w/ a twist throttle. I wouldn't say it is for the unexperience, thou, it could get away from you a lot quicker then the thumb throttle. Just my .02

oynot400
01-29-2002, 08:18 AM
I had one, Motion Pro Vortex. I liked it, being use to riding my Xt350 it wasn't that hard to get use to. I would never recomend it to someone that has no experience on a motorcycle.
I ended up taking it off because when I got my FCR it came with a push-pull twist and I did not like that twist throttle at all. So I went back to the thumb. I like it better for some of the hill climbs and woods riding.
I have a buddy that has one on his Banshee. He came down on double wrong and broke a shock. When the bike was bucking him around all he could do was hang on and the twist just made it worse.
If you want one I would be willing to sell my Motion Pro Vortex twist throttle pretty reasonable.
Hope this helps. :)

Scott
01-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Rossano, I was just like you. I grew up on bikes with twist throttles and hated the thumb throttles. I put a 1/4 twist on my quad and I love it. If I were going to change anything, I would go with a little longer pull on the throttle, the 1/4 twist from idle to WFO is a little bit too quick sometimes. Since you're used to a twist throttle, you'll be happy after you switch to one again.

There's not much to swapping over, and if you decide you don't like it, put your stock thumb throttle back on and sell the twist.

rossano
01-29-2002, 01:38 PM
is the motion pro twist throttle 1/4 turn or is it normal?

BTW, thanks for all the input guys

01-29-2002, 01:53 PM
I beleive there are like 2 or 3 different types of twist throttles for each machine,,quarter turns, half turns and full turns..

Nausty
01-29-2002, 10:34 PM
I have used a twist thottle since I was 7 tell now and I have used a thumb thottle since about 2 years ago tell now and I can use both fine but it just seems like twist would be really awkward on a quad and thumb has always been fine if not better for me on a quad and my thumb never gets sore either. I don't know why people always complain about it cuz its never once bother me.

doctor_915
01-30-2002, 02:45 PM
I have the 1/2 twist on mine and I like it. I rode bikes my whole life that's probably why I like the twist better. It is easier to lose control like everyone else has said though. If your thumb gets sore on long rides buy one of those thumb saver things for 12 bucks. It makes the throttle lever longer and you can even push with the palm of your hand if your thumb gets really sore. My dad used to have one on his Foreman. He liked it I know but I dont think he has it anymore, I will have to check with him. But you can get those thumbsavers, the advertisement is usually in the back of Dirtwheels and smoe snowmobile places have them in stock.

Blysster
02-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Don't put a twist throttle on highly modded ATC 250r! I was warned about it and tought I could handle it. Needless to say I was wrong, way wrong!

My advise is to stick with the thumb throttle when it comes to ATVs, it's a lot more predictable and saffer, specialy when landing hard.

PsychoDave
02-01-2002, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I agree. I grew up with dirt bikes and the thumb throttle was hard to get used to. I put a twist on my ex and loved it until I was flying through some whoops and at the end of them there was a big jump. So as I was hanging on, I couldnt let off the throttle so I hit the jump too fast and got squirly in the air, came down and twisted my ankle. After that I put the thumb back on. Think of it like this....companys spend millions on R&D and they put thumb throttles on stock.....I think they know what they are doing.... (except that I wish the ex had more power)

Nausty
02-01-2002, 07:19 PM
I think that statement about the companies put them on because they know what they are doing is wrong because I bet you if they wern't worried about being sued they would have twist throttles on them.