PDA

View Full Version : bicycle speedometer

dingo
01-24-2002, 01:06 PM
I read in a recent magazine that yo can glue a bicycle speedometer to a quad. I have not had much luck installing it. tolarance on the brake is tight and i need 1mm to make it work right on the sensor Any ideas or better speedometers.

Also what is the better investment uni-filer or k and n?

MOFO
01-24-2002, 01:22 PM
To answer your question about the speedo, I would recommend the Trailtech speedo. I dont have a website handy, but I know Rocky Mountain sells them for like $60 I think.

As for your airfilter question, I would recommend a UNI filter all the way. For small motor applications, I dont think the K&N really does a better job than a UNI...but as for protection, a UNI does a superior job at filtering....hands down.

Eric

01-24-2002, 05:09 PM
I have a bell bike speedo on mine. I had to extent the wire with speaker wire though. Glued the magnet to the inside of the front rim. I put the sensor on the brake caliper, and ran the wire up the brake line, and up the steering colum. zip ties work well to secure the wire. Had mine for a year, and works good. accurate if you don't go high speeds for too long.

JOEX
01-24-2002, 11:10 PM
Do I know you?

Joe

400exJOE
01-26-2002, 07:44 PM
i want to do the same thing. What kind of glue did you use to attach the magnet to the wheel??? Also, did you cut the magnet off the thing its attached too? Mine has a screw in the back and is ment to tighten around a bike spoke.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-27-2002, 05:32 PM
not just couse i have one, but becouse a freind of mine 400ex has the k&n i've never had carb problems....he's havon all sorts of problems...constatly givin it gas to stay started....it'll run no doubt.....but we drag raced and i won on acount of this....strted off when he went to gas it the motor idle went down instead of up he said go and i jumped he stayed behind and got it fired and cought me but i passed the line first....needless to say i rubbed it in real good.....

Kadafiy
02-03-2002, 12:38 PM
About the glue, I used JB Weld to glue the magnet to my old Lt250r an the thing never moved. You do not need that little piece that goes around the spoke just the magnet.

02-03-2002, 03:32 PM
I took the magnet out of the plastic case, and glued it to the inside of the wheel with goop. it's like shoe goo. bought it at canadian tire, but as the name implies, you guys don't have CT. any auto parts store should have it. just let it dry for a wile(at least overnight) you must also find the circumfrence of the tire. put in a little more than the tire when you calibrate the # in the speedo because at speed, the tire will "flex" and bow out, gicing you a lower speed than you actually are going. for only 20 bucks, it works awesome, and i'm still on the origional batterie.

Blackguywithouta400
02-03-2002, 04:59 PM
Heres a shot of the pickup on my Specialized MTB computer

02-06-2002, 11:19 AM
I have the Trailtech setup on mine it works great. But it is pricey. if you want to save a couple of bucks Walmart sell the exact same one for 30.00 bucks its called Panorama..

luvmyex
02-10-2002, 11:55 AM
I just bought a panoram bike computer.The wire is short.How did you guys splice the wire to make it long enough?Is it a single wire or a coaxil?

02-11-2002, 09:11 AM
The Speedo cable on mine has two leads inside the cable. you can splice the cable with thin speaker wire. But I would just Go to the Trailtech site www.trailtech.net. and just buy the cable kit. I spliced the first one I bought but wasnt happy how it came out. So I bought the cable kit .. It realy nice and the mount for the pickup it quality, No micky mouse ****. .. The end result for me was. I bought the Speedo from Walmart and the Cable kit from Trailtech. I saved about 20.00 may or may not be worth it to buy like that but the speedo works good.

02-22-2002, 05:21 PM
k&n helps some but the best i've found is whitebrothers :D

03-07-2002, 07:32 PM
the speedo on the trailtech website is called a panoram also. the computer wiring and mounting harness sells for 74.95

03-07-2002, 07:34 PM
i just read about the computer speedo and its pretty cool. it is backlit has service reminders trip odometer avg speed max speed and pace settings. and it records speed up to 199mph (not that you could even dream of going that fast)

Kadafiy
03-08-2002, 04:28 PM
I called Trail-tech to order the wiring kit from them but the person I talked to said that I was better off just ordering the kit from RM. They said that because RM's price was cheaper than their's and that the computer I bought from Walmart was made by someone else. They also said that the speedometer from RM has some changes in it to compensate for vibration. Also, by the time she added up the cost of the wiring plus some magnet and magnetic bolt it was the same cost. Oh yeah, and they said that if you buy the one from Walmart their warranty will not cover it, but the warranty does apply to the RM one. So I'm going to return the other one to Walmart and buy the speedometer designed for the 400ex.

Leo
03-09-2002, 02:56 PM
we currently have trail-tech's in stock and ready to ship...

for the ultimate setup check out the billet mounts for the trail-tech computer, VERY nice!

EXriders.com store (http://www.thump-racing.com)

I'll attach a picture of the trail tech speedo and billet mount installed on a 400EX.

Leo

Kadafiy
03-09-2002, 02:58 PM
How much for just the speedometer setup with shipping?

Leo
03-09-2002, 03:02 PM
just the speedomer kit (inludes cables / etc..) $74.95

priority mail shipping would be $3.50 (usually takes 2-3 days to arrive)..

Leo

03-10-2002, 03:01 PM
hey leo i notice you have a t4 on your 400ex how do you like it??
i just ordered a t4 slip-on and a k&n powerup kit
what size main jet do you use??

Leo
03-10-2002, 07:41 PM
I love the T4, great sound, but it's a bit loud if you ride where noise is an issue..

If noise isn't an issue you can't beat the pipe, especially when you consider the price..

Leo

03-11-2002, 06:50 PM
I cant wait!! mine will be here on wednesday of next week. I also want to drop a tooth in the front sproket. who makes a good sproket?? i just put 22x11x8 xtc holeshots on the rear.

super_man37366
06-01-2002, 01:21 AM
can u mount a speedo on the 250ex (bracets thats is)