PDA

View Full Version : i got to thinking aobut timing

Martin Blair
08-12-2003, 04:11 PM
when you install the sparks timing keyy your turh the flywheel counterclockwise till it stops, i was thinking do you advance the timing buy turning the flywheel, does turning the wheel actually advance the timing? or is it the key tht actually advances the timing, my thought was if you avually do it buy turning the flywheel then y couldnt you just take the key out and turn the flywheelk 6 or 7 or 8 degress, basically advance it as much as you wnt then tighten the flywheel?

It would be adjustable and you could advance it just like a car till it pings, then bck it off a hair then its advance all the way it can be for maxx power, and it wouldnt cost you a thing.

so which actually adjust the timing the key, or rotating the flywheel?

cals400ex
08-12-2003, 06:43 PM
the key itself will advance the timing. when you put your flywheel back on, your "T" mark on the fly wheel will not be exactly top dead center. top dead center should be about 5/16" past the T mark on the flywheel. don't quote me on all of this, but that is what i have been told.

Martin Blair
08-12-2003, 06:45 PM
yeah but the key is off set to allow the flywheel to roata 6 degrees more to the left, so if you just removed the key and turned the wheel 6-8 degrees to the left would that advance the timing?

toby400ex
08-12-2003, 07:35 PM
All i know is (excuse my language), YOU prolly shouldnt phuck with it

MIKE400EX
08-13-2003, 02:03 AM
If you leave the key out, and do manage to get it set at X deg. advanced, there's a very good possibility that the flywheel will eventually walk some and your timing will be off. Also, how will you know exactly where the crankshaft is (rotation wise) when you install the flywheel?

Geoff Thomas
08-13-2003, 03:44 AM
If you leave the key out you will spin the flywheel on the crank then it won't be in time at all and probably won't run. You have to have that key in there to keep the flywheel from turning even if you crank it down really tight. One good kick back will make the rotor turn.