PDA

View Full Version : Pipe and k&n power kit??????

01-24-2002, 10:50 AM
I am deffenlty getting a white brothers s bend for my 250ex. My dealer says I should get a K&N power kit, which comes with a air filter, jet kit and some other things. I am going to have my dealer instal it cause im not going to mess it up playing with the jets. The power kit is 100 bucks, is it worth it? On the ads they say it adds about a 15% power increse. Would I be better off just getting the white brothers s bend pipe or will this power kit make a huge difference?
thanks
joey

2k2-300exnj
01-24-2002, 12:49 PM
r u asking which one you should get if so i would say the pipe but when u get a pipe u have to re-jet and i would put a K&N wit prefilter on since i jetted it so i cant really pick one they do to different things

TRX250EXER
01-24-2002, 12:55 PM
It will help. If ya have the money go ahead and get it. The air filter is a big help but with the pipe and the filter you might run lean and that is what the jet kit is for. That way you can tune your carb. It comes with a new needle jet and a crap load of different main jets. If ya ever decide to do anything else to the engine besides just a pipe these will be nice to already have. But if not just buy the pipe and the K&N air filter and see how it runs, if its lean then just buy a couple of bigger main jets. They are pretty cheap. Its only worth it in the long run. Hope I helped

Oh and if I were you I would see if they make the e-series pro meg for the 250ex. I have the s-bend and I am now wanting a header pipe too. I hear they make a big difference.

MOFO
01-24-2002, 01:12 PM
ONE HUNDRED BUCKS for a few jets and an airfilter!?!?!? I'm sorry, I could not justify spending that much. If your dealer is doing the install, just tell them to jet it and buy yourself an airfilter separate. You might spend around $10 in jets total, once they have your jetting worked out.

Eric

TRX250EXER
01-24-2002, 01:23 PM
aww... I know what you mean, its not worth it if ya know what jets ya need. But it comes with more than a few jets. It comes with 14 different main jets a new long tapered needle jet with 5 clips instead of the stock 3. And the kit comes with the filter that is already like 50 dollars. The precharger and the recharger cleaner stuff which is 20 some dollars there. So for what you are getting its cheaper to go that way. I bought the crap separately and spent more than a 100. Because my retarded dealer told me that they dont have a powerkit yet for the 250ex. Which I think they just didnt have new catologs yet and it wasnt in their books. So thats why I said just get a couple main jets if you arent going to do any other mods in the future. Like he said its only like 10 bucks that way.

01-24-2002, 01:23 PM
The power kit comes with jets, needles, springs, shims, K&N air filter, Pre- RE charger. I added all this up and I can save about 5 bucks buying this k&N power kit rather than buying it all seperate. i was wondering do I need all this stuff. Am I better off buying the pipe and air filter and than mamby buying dome tires with the extra money from not buying th epower kit. I dont know if I need all these needles, springs and shims. I dont want to make it less reliable and I really want to put some new tires on it. Should I buy the kit or keep all that money and buy some tires.
thanks
joey

MOFO
01-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Listen, I am going to save you some major $$$. Go find out what size your stock mainjet and pilot jet is. Go to your dealer and order the next size up jets...maybe even two sizes up. Go get yourself an airfilter (with all the extras you need to clean it). Since you are just adding a pipe, this is all you will need to change.

I dont get when people buy that K&N kit when they "usually" only use 2-3 jets out of the entire kit. I have enough jets to run my stock pipe (summer and winter) and my FMF pipe with airfilter (summer and winter) and I might have $25 in jets. I paid around $30 for my Unifilter.....so I have $55 total. If I do a 416 kit, well I will spend a few bucks on some new jets. But until then, I dont need 100 jets sitting in my garage. (sarcasm there ;) )

I'm just trying to save ya some cash for those tires you are talkin about.... ;)

Eric

TRX250EXER
01-24-2002, 01:38 PM
okay add it all up again dude. I think the filter is ruffly 50 dollars + the cleaner stuff is ruffly 15 and say 20 dollars in jets. plus if ya want the precharger for the filter it will cost some more too so you are really only saving 5 or 10 dollars if anything. And you wont ever need to buy new jets with the kit. So its your choice on what you want to do. If you are ever gonna do anything internal to the engine just get the kit. you will save money in the long run.

01-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Thank. Im not gonna get that kit. What type of difference in jetting is there between running in the wintere and summer. I want to be able to start so tell me what jets to get.
thanks
joey

MOFO
01-24-2002, 01:49 PM
I can only speak from dealing with my 400EX.

In the winter, having a larger pilot jet (42) helps it start in the cold much easier. Also, you have to remember, if you live in a climate that is around 80 in the summer and 10-20 in the winter, the air density is different. I have noticed that I have to run a larger mainjet in the winter because the cold air is "thicker" and causes my quad to run leaner. In the summer, I open up my airbox and back off the mainjet one size. This has worked perfect for me....still running the same plug from this past summer and it runs great.

Eric

330exracer
01-24-2002, 01:50 PM
damn 50 bucks that a major rip off for a filter. i can a k&n for 25 bucks. and any way they suck ***. buy a uni much better than k&n doesn't filter very good. learned this the hard way twice.

01-24-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks Ill check into that. Now on tires what type should I get. I ride in mud and on trails. I was looking into the bandits, dirt devils, maxxis sur track, realtor or bear claw. i dont want a tire that is going to beat me at high speeds but will puch me through the mud. How do you like your dirt devils?
thanks
joey

MOFO
01-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 330exracer
damn 50 bucks that a major rip off for a filter. i can a k&n for 25 bucks. and any way they suck ***. buy a uni much better than k&n doesn't filter very good. learned this the hard way twice.

I agree with you 100% about the K&N....but thats a whole other story... ;)

Eric

01-24-2002, 01:57 PM
how are the uni filters. will i notice a difference from stock
joey

TRX250EXER
01-24-2002, 01:59 PM
I think the dirt devils is what one of my riding buddies has. He loves 'em and everybody says they grip great. Plus I think they look bad ***. How do you like them on the 400 VW??? I was also thinking of buying some of those with my tax return money.

MOFO
01-24-2002, 02:01 PM
I love the dirt devils. I run them year round. I would only use them as a snow tire, but I find myself in more mudholes than I can get myself out of. ;) They grab very well on hill climbs and I can still get the rear end to kick out when needed. Overall, I give them two thumbs up.

Eric

TRX250EXER
01-24-2002, 02:07 PM
cool, thats what I wanted to know,
Hey i see that ur the coordinator for the WVirgia ride. I have a group of friends that have been there and plan on going again sometime this summer. They asked if I wanted to go and Im planning on it. Do you recemmend a long *** trip for it. is it worth it?

P.S. sorry to get off the main subject

MOFO
01-24-2002, 02:10 PM
Personally, I think its some of the best public riding on the east coast. I'd recommend it to anyone with some experience under their belt...

Eric

01-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Will they wheelie to get over some pretty big logs? I saw some dirt devils on a 300ex and they looked really neat. Its eather that or the sur tracks for me. Anyone have anything to say about the sur tracks. I know some people who have them on the rides section on there 250ex and they like it. Are the Dirt devils a lot heavier?
thanks
joey

01-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Just don't get tires too heavy. 229cc air cooled motors won't pull heavy tires too good. I can only speak for my maxxis all traks. approx 2500 miles on them, and are wore probably 10%. seriously. just don't drive on pavement too much. they are a good all around tire. not really good at any one thing, but provide good traction in a variety of surfaces, long wearing, tough(for 2 ply), and fairly light weight. they don't corner as well as the stock tires(for a 400ex) but are more than sufficent for me. They are also 22"(unlike my 20" stock, but you already have 22", so you shouldn't notice much difference in handeling) I also got mine much cheaper than bandits, which I was going to get. ($78 canadian vs $120 canadian per tire) Oh yeah, these tires powerslide good too, but are still predictable. I know that there are a lot of other good tires out there too.

roostfrom250ex
01-24-2002, 04:42 PM
Dude! Go with the whole system. All the way or nuttin'.
You'll end up doing it anyway.

You must re-jet if you re-pipe.

" For every action there is a ....reaction....... bla,bla,bla....

I guts a Graydon full, k&n, no airbox lid, and a 112 main replacing a 93.

Now i can give roost from my 250ex!