PDA

View Full Version : Modifying stock header...

JhallettEX
01-24-2002, 07:58 AM
I was told by a guy to take my stock header off and ground out the welds inside of it instead of buying a Powerbomb header. He also said that there is a review on it somewhere here on exriders. Does anyone know anything about this? Please let me know or give me the link. Thanks alot guys.

86atc250r
01-24-2002, 08:25 AM
Some headers are worse than others... Mine wasn't too bad, but I've heard of others that had significant blockage where the flange is welded onto the tubes... It's easy enough to pull off and take a look.

We went ahead and cleaned mine up while we were there, don't know how much difference it made (I'm sure not much in my case), because we did so much else at the same time.

01-24-2002, 10:05 AM
I"m sure it would help but don't think it's gonna be the same as adding a powerbong. You MIGHT notice a difference cleaning up the header pipe,,,but you WILL notice a difference with the powerbong..:D But you have to pay for the powerbong were you won't spend a dime on cleaning up the header pipes.:(

250rampage
01-24-2002, 05:58 PM
I wrote a review of that on here along with my silencer mods a few months back....

01-24-2002, 09:49 PM
I know U guys are talking about 400's but I have a tip for 300 riders also.

The stock 300ex header is very small as U know.I took a die grinder and opened up the end that bolts on to the head alot.I cut about a 1/4 inch of the end that bolts on top the header so I could get the die grinder in there also.I opened up that end and the inside of the stock muffler.(There is alittle bit that can be cleaned up)

I also put a 350x airbox boot and went to a 125 main jet.This helped alot.The only problem is the 350x airbox boot makes the carb tilt a little bit forward making the choke hit on the starter.

My bike runs alot better now.I raced a 250x with a cam and FMF exhaust and we ran dead even.

The airbox boot was 50 dollars from honda and a main jet was 6.9I know it high for a jet)I feel it was well worth it though!

86 trx250r
97 300ex

JhallettEX
01-24-2002, 10:06 PM
250rampage i have looked everywhere for your review, cant find it can you please let me know what the link is if you can find it? Thanks

250rampage
01-24-2002, 11:15 PM
Hmmm....seems like the one I wrote is gone off of here. It was about a year ago though. Click here (http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=256880&highlight_key=y&keyword1=exhaust&keyword2=Exhaust) for a similar post I made over at the connection.