PDA

View Full Version : Hernia, anybody ever had one?

spincr4hire
08-12-2003, 01:56 AM
I think I may have one...dreading the visit to the doctor.:(

JTRtrx250r
08-12-2003, 02:05 AM
dont worry....they dont grab your nads anymore.....at least my doc didnt lol,Either way that chit can be pretty serious so get yourself checked,I had 1 on the right side(due to double bass on my kit of all things:rolleyes: )but didnt require surgery,my pal (who also plays drums)had a double hernia and did have to go under the knife,if it ruptures....you can die w/ the quickness!!:(

spincr4hire
08-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
if it ruptures....you can die w/ the quickness!!:(

thanks for calming my nerves...:confused2

Pappy
08-12-2003, 02:09 AM
alot of times they will make you where a brace...i have 3 but none on the boys:p the new procedures are pretty quick and painless...youll be fine;)

Pahrump
08-12-2003, 03:12 AM
I had a good buddy that had one and he had to have the surery but it was quick and painless the only thing that sucked is that he had to stayy off his quad for 6 weeks.

He only made it to about 4 1/2 weeks but he rode easy and had no problems at all.

zephead400ex
08-12-2003, 03:17 AM
My gf as one, it makes her sick as in having a bad stomach ache. Other than that, there are pills you can take to help releive some of the pain. Or you can get a pretty painless operation like Pappy said!

peace

z400rider23
08-12-2003, 03:27 AM
I had a hernia but I divorced the *****. :D

blondie69
08-12-2003, 03:36 AM
what is a hernia? i've heard of em....but i have no friken clue what they are:confused:

spincr4hire
08-12-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by z400rider23
I had a hernia but I divorced the *****. :D

ha, ha, same here...:D

Just got back from the doc, its a pulled ab muscle, not a hernia, thank goodness!

olyeller
08-12-2003, 05:28 AM
there are a couple different kinds of hernia's. I had what they call an ingroinal hernia which is when your intestins poke a hole in your abdominal wall and push through into your ball sac. Dont worry they dont rupture and you can't die from it. I think that guy thought you were talking about the apendix. The surgery i had was cake. I was an outpatient which ment i didn't have to stay overnight. It took like 2 hrs. total and i was bac to work and walking in a couple days. but, I'm a CAD Tech so i dont do hard physical work.

JTRtrx250r
08-12-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by olyeller
there are a couple different kinds of hernia's. I had what they call an ingroinal hernia which is when your intestins poke a hole in your abdominal wall and push through into your ball sac. Dont worry they dont rupture and you can't die from it. I think that guy thought you were talking about the apendix. The surgery i had was cake. I was an outpatient which ment i didn't have to stay overnight. It took like 2 hrs. total and i was bac to work and walking in a couple days. but, I'm a CAD Tech so i dont do hard physical work. lmao.....yeah, I was thinking of 2 diferent things:rolleyes: :D and was just waking up:blah:

Narly R
08-12-2003, 06:13 AM
Man defently go to the doctor, because it cant be a good thing when you ride..?:ermm: The sooner you get it fixed the better it will be and maybe you dont even have one... my dad had one a long time ago, Im not shure what his case was but good luck!;)

250x#93
08-12-2003, 10:00 AM
I never have had one, but two of my friends have, Doesn't sound like fun to me thought:( I always wonder cuz of liften my quad into my dads truck by myself, maybe I shoudn't, does anyone else? Just curious:confused:

4traxx
08-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Symptoms ?
Pains ?

JUSTINcredible
08-12-2003, 04:04 PM
i have no idea what a hernia is or how u get it or what is goin on here... maybe someone can help me out and fill me in?

jarred15801
08-12-2003, 04:15 PM
yeah i had one when i was a little kid. Haha it was from picking up to big of a rock to throw it in a pond. i had to have surgery for it. I think a hernia is some kind of torn muscle am i right??

JTRtrx250r
08-12-2003, 06:05 PM
like the guy a few above was saying....theres a few kinds of hernia,...the 1 I was thinking of is a Hyatal(sp?) hernia,where it can burst inside ya and spill intestanal/stomach acid ,thats what I meant when I said it can rupture and kill ya,its been yrs and Im not to up to par w/ my medical terms:uhoh: :confused2 .....someone....help me out here(olyeller),am I on the right track.....in any way,lol

TDBRPH
08-13-2003, 12:58 AM
I had an inguinal hernia as well hurt like a mofo....... It was fixed through laproscopic surgery not to bad and healing time was fairly quick......

Here is some accurate info.......

An inguinal hernia is a bulge of soft tissue through a weak spot in the abdominal wall in the groin area. Inguinal hernias can occur in one or both sides of the groin area at the same time or at different times. The bulge usually contains tissue lining the inside of the abdomen (peritoneum) and may include fatty tissue from inside the abdomen (omentum), a loop of intestine, or fluid (ascites).

There are two types of inguinal hernias: direct and indirect.

Direct inguinal hernias

A direct inguinal hernia occurs when a weak spot develops in the lower abdominal muscles due to the normal stresses of living and aging. Tissues push through this weak spot when abdominal pressure increases.

In adults, the cause of a hernia often is unknown. However, lifting a heavy object or doing other activities that put pressure on the abdominal muscles, such as frequent coughing or straining when urinating or having a bowel movement, are thought to cause a hernia. Excessive weight gain, pregnancy, and constipation also are possible causes.

Older adults and people who are overweight are at a higher risk than are other people for direct inguinal hernias because of stress on the lower abdominal muscles.

Indirect inguinal hernias

An indirect inguinal hernia occurs because of a persistence of an opening that usually closes before birth. An indirect hernia pushes down from the abdomen through the inguinal canal. In men, it may push into the scrotum. In women, it may push into the large fold of genital skin. This is the most common type of inguinal hernia and may occur at birth or in later life.

Indirect hernias are more common in men because the testicles (when they descend) and blood vessels pass through the inguinal canal, making the opening from the abdomen less likely to close completely.
Women are more likely to have an indirect inguinal hernia than a direct hernia.
Another type of groin hernia, a femoral hernia, occurs when tissue bulges from the lower abdomen into the upper thigh, just below the groin crease. A femoral hernia pushes down through the femoral canal, a narrow passage that carries blood vessels to the leg. Because of its location, a femoral hernia sometimes is mistaken for an inguinal hernia or a lymph node.

ranger400ex
08-13-2003, 06:27 AM
So Brian....looks like you are still "flogging the dolphin", then you try and blame it on a hernia...time to pick up a new girl to take care of that for ya!! Rico might have one for ya...she works near hatfield!! lol

:eek:

Ben