PDA

View Full Version : Shocks: Who's the best? Rate the rest!

trx440
08-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Who makes the best shocks?

What has been your experience?

I'm planning on getting long travels for my 450R and wanted to do an informal pole. Even if you haven't used any of these shocks, go ahead and rate them. You all have heard plenty about them at the races and on the net.

Here's the choices:

Axis, PEP, Elka, TCS, MotoWoz, Afco, King, Ohlins, Works (pro series), did I forget any? Rate them 1-9.

400exstunta
08-11-2003, 06:48 PM
hasnt this been beat to death?

trx440
08-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I actually searched the category and read all that was there. I did see a pole but people were not giving detailed accounts of their experiences. I saw nothing about Afco or King. There was a little about MotoWoz and Ohlins.

This is a Forum. I have seen the same things over and over again for more than 3 years but things are constantly changing and new suppliers are entering the market. Had my curiosity been satisfied, I would not have asked the question. Maybe we should stop posting and just read whats already been said since there is no need in learning anything new.

Sorry I annoyed you.

quader400
08-12-2003, 03:40 AM
1- motowoz i have heard they are the best
2- axis- havent had any experience with either 1 or 2 but i think its a giving
3-elka i have a set and love them and will never change
4- pep i have ridden them and really like them
6-tcs ive heard they are good but something about oil leaks
5-ohlines i dont really think these are the best shocks out there
6- works bottom of the line shocks but if you just ride recreationally works would be a good shock
7-king i put this down at the bottom cause i never heard of them
8-afco and again the same thing i put them at the bottom cause i have never heard of them

Pappy
08-12-2003, 03:49 AM
ALL the aftermarket shocks are good.....but...and its a big BUTT .....its getting them set up for you. and if that means sending them to a shock builder to get them perfect well then thats what it takes.

i dont think you can go wrong with axis..pep or elka .

quadman21
08-12-2003, 04:56 AM
If your already planning on a goodies list than this is what I suggest. WAIT! wait and see if the Honda will have fully adjustable shocks like the yammi. If so, than get a reputable builder like derisi, or even Elka to re-spring and re-valve your fronts. Trust me, as soon as tha Honda hits the floor suspension companies will be offering re-valving and set up for the shocks. They will be as good as any top of the line shock out there when done correctly.

08-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by quadman21
If your already planning on a goodies list than this is what I suggest. WAIT! wait and see if the Honda will have fully adjustable shocks like the yammi. If so, than get a reputable builder like derisi, or even Elka to re-spring and re-valve your fronts. Trust me, as soon as tha Honda hits the floor suspension companies will be offering re-valving and set up for the shocks. They will be as good as any top of the line shock out there when done correctly. this is with all my personal experience....PEP-9-ridden with a set..very plus ride but they would not bottom....TCS-8-nice ride...a little bit harsher on the low speed breaking bumps...but i ahve no complaints......Elka....i ahve no personal experience with them yet so i am not giving them a rating....but i ahve heard nothing but god things from their customers too...in fact with all the good things im actualy considering to get them for my next set of shocks(LT Setup)

bmw500hp
08-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
ALL the aftermarket shocks are good.....but...and its a big BUTT .....its getting them set up for you. and if that means sending them to a shock builder to get them perfect well then thats what it takes.

i dont think you can go wrong with axis..pep or elka .

I can not imagine purchasing a new 450r, and that is what this thread is about, then spending $1800.00 for the the new "name brand" shocks mentioned above only to kiss the shocks and your hard earned bucks goodbye for a week due to poor initial setup.

If thats the case they should offer "Free U.P.S. Stock with every new Shock" :p

It would clearly seem one should purchase the shocks from the person you call the shockbuilder in the first place...then spend the money saved on good routine service and maintainence.

Pappy
08-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp

It would clearly seem one should purchase the shocks from the person you call the shockbuilder in the first place...then spend the money saved on good routine service and maintainence.

i agree...but 99% of the shock buyers dont do that.

trx440
08-12-2003, 05:50 PM
When I built my 440 back in the winter of 98-99, I decided to go with TCS. Alan Knowles already had my engine and he was just starting TCS with Todd(?) I went with the SCS dual fronts and a rebuilt SCS dual rear. The shocks were perfectly sprung and valved for big air and I weighed about 250 with my gear. They were a little harsh on the track in breaking bumps and rode rough in general at low speeds. When the speeds picked up though the shocks performed flawlessly. They were very hard to bottom. For a shock to be smooth at speed, resist bottoming and be able to do that with someone of my weight I thought was very good. I had only had Works Steelers before that and it was a night and day difference tween the 2.

When I moved to AZ though I found a weakness in the shock. At Glamis during busy weekends, those shocks would beat me to death. When the sand was rough from all those buggies, my ride was nearly unbearable unless I was WFO. I have since ridden a few long travel suspended bikes that are set up for the dunes and they are PLUSH. I was especially impressed with a set of PEP 19" shocks on a 465ex. They were sweet.

I haven't been on TCS's LT's, I've ridden Axis only on a Raptor, I've been on a Moto440 with Ohlins [That was about the same as my TCS but softer] I would even be interested in the new Works piggybacks if they come in LT's.

Even if Honda brings out shocks that are equal to the Yamaha's, I will sell them and get a set of 19"ers. If they come with LT's stock well that's another story. I am gonna spend the dough on front and rear suspension, a Sparks pipe and some Pro-Tapers. That's about it. It will have top line suspension no matter what.

Bottom line is alot has changed in shocks since I bought my last set. I only paid $590 for my TCS's. Now their top of the lines are @$900. I'd appreciate any help and opinions you guys have. Thanks for the posts and I welcome anymore thoughts or observations. -RT

bmw500hp
08-13-2003, 01:03 PM
A bud went from 2" housers and standard T.C.S. to L.T. American Stars and Quadruple rate 19" Elka's. He can't can't get over the difference...PLUSH! He says big diff in the Whoops...

08-13-2003, 04:00 PM
i think works or elkas are the best for the money :D

08-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
i think works or elkas are the best for the money :D dont elkas cost just as much as pep since they raised prices?

08-13-2003, 04:19 PM
i dont think so....how much are peps triple rates w/o rezzies? the elkas are like $850 now i think :huh

08-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
i dont think so....how much are peps triple rates w/o rezzies? the elkas are like $850 now i think :huh im not sure if pep offers a shock w/o rezzies...there standard triple rate shocks with remote rezzies are 590....i would think thats a better deal if you didnt ahve to wait 6 months:ermm:

08-13-2003, 05:01 PM
The only thing that stinks worse than all the shocks you mentioned are the prices they charge for them :blah: :blah:

Oh no thats not right these who's best threads stink ten times worse than the prices :devil: :devil:

I am serious too.

Now I had tried to find a way to evaluate suspension parts in late 01 to early 02 and the only thing I was able to determine beyond the above comment is that there all only as good as the overall set up. I dont mean just the spring and valving of the shock either cause its the whole package of how your machine and the suspension are set up and work together.

Do a search, hey do several because theres a lot on the site on this subject and you will get to see more than you will in this one thread

bmw500hp
08-13-2003, 10:05 PM
lol, Lenny and I have got our rants off for the week...he he..

Lenny, remember the exrider patron mark to the left under avatar...what to you think of a ( jorva ) member designation in the same place..

Guess just thinking of a little unification in the exciting world of armchair Lobbyists...

Consider a second go round at some exriders group unification..I am regretting not making it to that meeting in my Locale..and this whole federal land B.S. is starting to fire me up...I will give it a push with ya.. :muscle:

08-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
lol, Lenny and I have got our rants off for the week...he he..

Lenny, remember the exrider patron mark to the left under avatar...what to you think of a ( jorva ) member designation in the same place..

Guess just thinking of a little unification in the exciting world of armchair Lobbyists...

Consider a second go round at some exriders group unification..I am regretting not making it to that meeting in my Locale..and this whole federal land B.S. is starting to fire me up...I will give it a push with ya.. :muscle:

I say go for it, as usuall :D