PDA

View Full Version : Safety tether during xc race

Braff1
08-11-2003, 06:44 PM
During my last xc race up at haspin I noticed that most of the riders have the kill switch and don't have them hooked up. What is your opion on this.

popo
08-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
During my last xc race up at haspin I noticed that most of the riders have the kill switch and don't have them hooked up. What is your opion on this.

In order to race a GNCC you will need one. Some have them hooked up, some not. Kinda a pain if you get stuck ,your teather snaps off and your quad dies.

I have only been checked once at tech inspection.

bradley300
08-12-2003, 02:52 AM
jeff told me not to hook it up because sometimes you can have ignition problems with them. i dont want my quad to start cutting out while i'm halfway up that hill at the iron man!

ex kid
08-12-2003, 03:11 AM
its saved my bike and me a few times. dont get s sh**** maier. get a pro design. the maier one i had broke after about 3 months.

250rmike
08-12-2003, 01:31 PM
i will never run a bike without one. one thing with the pro design it has a metal end that is directly attached to the wires i do not suggest touching it with the bike on i was doing a no hander one time when i went to put my hand back on i hit it cause i have mine right by the grips for easy acces and zap my hand went numb not a good think when you in the air

Booth440ex
08-12-2003, 02:05 PM
why did your hand go numb? i also have mine near the grips and it gives you a nasty shock when you touch it did this happen to you

250rmike
08-12-2003, 02:15 PM
yea i touched the metal part

JUSTINcredible
08-12-2003, 03:07 PM
i would never ride with out one wheter i was racing or not, I have seen many times during a race that a crash happens and the quad keeps goin and it can go right out in front of other quads that wont see it untill it is to late or it could go into a group off ppl and even if u are just playing around and never plan on racing i would still get one, i would not want to fall off and have to chase my 4 wheeler or going down a trail and have it run into a tree or somthing like that.

all of the tracks around here will not let u go out if u dont have one and they do always test them

250rmike
08-12-2003, 04:05 PM
if you wear gloves it wont shock u but i couldnt find mine for some reason i alsways have them but those one or two times when i got shocked. i had the switch covered with tape but i thought it looked dumb so i was like ill just take it off and try not to get shocked. yea i will not ride a bike without a killswitch on it(well i wont ride it like i ride my bike atleast)

ILGNCC400EX
08-13-2003, 03:03 PM
popo still bragging about getting pic in mag it is a pain if you have to get off and push

300exOH
08-13-2003, 04:29 PM
I see popo says safety first. HA! No flame intended but shouldn't you practice what you preach? I think there are too many popo's in this world that bend the rules to suit their own needs. What if an innocent fan gets creamed by a flying quad?

cdalejef
08-13-2003, 05:13 PM
There is no rule in GNCC racing that says the teather must be hooked to your body. Only that one must be on the bike and working! I don't know of any pros that hook theirs to their body. It probally should be a rule but Popo is not breaking any!

coryatver
08-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Who needs a kill switch? The trees will stop it! Acually I do use mine and it really slows you down when you get stuck. I just feel better with it hooked up.

300exOH
08-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
There is no rule in GNCC racing that says the teather must be hooked to your body. Only that one must be on the bike and working! I don't know of any pros that hook theirs to their body. It probally should be a rule but Popo is not breaking any!

True. but popo never said his was working. Just an observation. I'd just hate to see someone hurt badly by an out of control quad just because someone decided to bend the rules. Maybe the rules should be changed a little.

popo
08-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I see popo says safety first. HA! No flame intended but shouldn't you practice what you preach? I think there are too many popo's in this world that bend the rules to suit their own needs. What if an innocent fan gets creamed by a flying quad?

SAY WHAT!!!!! "THATS A PRETTY BOLD STATEMENT FOR SOMETHING I NEVER SAID"

I never said anything about safety first!!!! I have one on my quad and it works. I prefer not to hook it on my body. THATS NOT SUITING MY NEEDS OR BREAKING ANY GNCC RULES.

I agree with with you about an out of control quad. But a dead engine is not going to stop, a flipping quad out of control from going into the crowd or hitting a parked trailer next to the course. It may hinder the quad from rolling over you if you take a nose dive.

Go to a GNCC race, and notice the how far they have the fans ropped off from the start area or entering into the woods. Except for the second down hill turn at the Wisp.

QuadJunkies
08-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
jeff told me not to hook it up because sometimes you can have ignition problems with them. i dont want my quad to start cutting out while i'm halfway up that hill at the iron man! I hooked up mine once and this happened.

Meek
08-14-2003, 12:28 AM
I don't race XC with mine hooked up.

Braff1
08-14-2003, 12:34 AM
I have had my Pro- design kill switch on my 400 since I got it about 2 yrs ago and have not had any prob. with in malfunctioning. I was just being curious. To me it would be better to use it and keep your quad from running accross the woods without you.

300exOH
08-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by popo
SAY WHAT!!!!! "THATS A PRETTY BOLD STATEMENT FOR SOMETHING I NEVER SAID"

I never said anything about safety first!!!! I have one on my quad and it works. I prefer not to hook it on my body. THATS NOT SUITING MY NEEDS OR BREAKING ANY GNCC RULES.

I agree with with you about an out of control quad. But a dead engine is not going to stop, a flipping quad out of control from going into the crowd or hitting a parked trailer next to the course. It may hinder the quad from rolling over you if you take a nose dive.

Go to a GNCC race, and notice the how far they have the fans ropped off from the start area or entering into the woods. Except for the second down hill turn at the Wisp.

Oh my bad. It says Be Safe right at the boittom of your post. And haven't you ever heard of a stuck throttle. I would think someone in your position would be more likely to promote the rules. I'm not trying to start anything here but if you don't use the tether properly then it isn't doing anyone any good. What if I let my 2 kids do this with their quad? Then I would be getting called an irresponsible parent.

cdalejef
08-14-2003, 06:00 AM
I would think someone in your position would be more likely to promote the rules. Like I said before, it is not a rule that you have to wear the teather!

300exOH
08-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Then what's the point in having one at all if noone is going to use them. They require that you have a helmet but it wouldn't do any good if it isn't on your head. Hopefully a GNCC official will read this and make a change in the rules. I just don't think it's fair to others to risk their well being. What would it do for the sport if someone was seriously injured or killed during a race because of a stuck throttle? Don't get me wrong I think quad racing is the best but I'd rather not see someone hurt. A similar event happened with the Hans(sp) device in NASCAR and it took the life of Dale Earnhardt to make a change in the rules.

Taco
08-14-2003, 02:20 PM
don't worry there is always a tree to stop a WFO quad in GNCC

Chef
08-14-2003, 02:52 PM
. A similar event happened with the Hans(sp) device in NASCAR and it took the life of Dale Earnhardt to make a change in the rules.

A better example from NASCAR would be the almost back to back deaths of Adam Petty and...well I cant think of the other guys name from stuck throttles and no kill button. Both at the same track within 3 feet of each others marks on the wall, I might add.

Meek
08-14-2003, 05:18 PM
When your throttle sticks, which it sounds like it happens quite often, because of the the way that you are dwelling on the subject. Can't you just pull in the clutch, or shut the bike down, or maybe I just don't understand.

300exOH
08-14-2003, 06:08 PM
I personally have never had a stuck throttle but I've been around friends who have. The oak tree it hit was bashed very badly. If it was a human they surely would've been hurt or maybe even killed. I'm just tired of people bending the rules to suite there own needs and risking other's safety in the process. Also it's kind of hard to pull the clutch when you're thrown from the quad. Would it be so tough for people to follow the rules now and then? I personally have been affected by a phameceutical company who decided to bend the rules and let's just say they are the reason I own my home and everything else free and clear. I think I have a reson to b***h bout people not following the rules.

Meek
08-14-2003, 10:09 PM
WHAT RULES?????

popo
08-14-2003, 10:28 PM
I personally have never had a stuck throttle but I've been around friends who have. The oak tree it hit was bashed very badly. If it was a human they surely would've been hurt or maybe even killed. I'm just tired of people bending the rules to suite there own needs and risking other's safety in the process. Also it's kind of hard to pull the clutch when you're thrown from the quad. Would it be so tough for people to follow the rules now and then? I personally have been affected by a phameceutical company who decided to bend the rules and let's just say they are the reason I own my home and everything else free and clear. I think I have a reson to b***h bout people not following the rules.

Well take a chill pill cause!!!! I am not breaking any rules to suit my needs as you so clearly stated that Police officers do.

300exOH
08-15-2003, 03:53 AM
I never said that all police officers break the rules. I simply said that someone in a position of authority should be setting an example. I see people in all walks of life breaking the rules. Like the punk in the thread that was talking about riding on private property after being denied permission. I didn't mean this as an attack on the police or anyone in particular. I'm simply saying that a tether cord isn't technically functional unless both ends are attached. It will not do what it's intended to unless it's connected to the rider, right? To me it's no different than wearing your helmet but leaving the chin strap loose. Please don't misunderstand this is in no way an attack on police. I know there are officers who do their job and do it well and you may well be one of them. I'm just trying to explain that an operational tether would have to be connected to the rider to serve any purpose at all.

quadman21
08-15-2003, 05:40 AM
Popo, meek, just let it go. This guys a drama queen. We all know no one is braking the rules. How many times do you walk up public stairs and not hold onto the railing? How many times in your entire life have you not buckled up? How many times have you had to use a handicap toilet because the bathroom was full but not use the handles? Can you say you have never drilled a hole without using safty glasses? all the safety equipment is there. C'mon, get real and join us on planet earth. Like we have all said, no one is breaking any rules and there is no reason to jump all over Popo.

BigThumper33
08-15-2003, 06:12 AM
A tether kill switch is a great idea, but if a quad is tumbling, or even moving fast on on 4's killing the engine doesn't ensure its actually going to stop before smashing into people...

I think we have heard of more people with manfuctioning tethers than people who were glad they had it on in case their throttle stuck.

Who's responsible then when the kill switch malfunctions off the face of a jump and the rider nose dives and is paraliyzed by the quad falling on top of him/her???? just a thought....

imac
08-16-2003, 02:42 PM
you will never get the majority of xc racers to wear the cord. Ive heard that they wont even check to see if they work because then they(the promotor, person doing the checking, ect.) is liable if the thing then does not work. Also you hear on nascar about those that find the best ways to bend the rules are the fastest. I would asume that this is true. So here is a thought, we can all hook up our cords but run a switch down under the fenders somewhere so we can make it nonfunctional if we do come off the quad but turn it on just for tech. The main responsibility lies within those that are spectating!! I see some very crazy people spectating at some xc races and have no chance of getting out of the way if a crash happens. I wont name the track, its not their fault but there must have been 100 people all crowded at this really tough but short climb at a district race. Anyway the bikes were first and we all know that they just normally lay down on there side when they dont make it, quads lots of times bounce totaly out of control down the hill. The footing was terible and there were so many people that those behind you would have prevented you from getting out of the way in a hurry, here is the bad part. Women holding infants were on this hill too. If a quad came at them they would probably get in trouble for child endagerment if something did happen.

imac
08-16-2003, 02:45 PM
just to clarify, "they" in the above post would be the mother and not the racer.

nutcase
08-18-2003, 04:46 AM
Just for examples,( I am new when it comes to xc riding)

1. the first xc ride that I had a wreck was at LBL and I had the cord attached I hit a deep rut and got ejected over the front of the quad and when I finally got up I noticed that the quad was out of the rut but the engine was dead and may have kept me from more injuries (the one I got has srewed up my wrist(25% mobility) for life according to my doc)

2, while riding down a hill on some private(again wearing the cord) land I hit a tree which put me on the front hood of the quad. I noticed the quad didn't stop (because the cord broke!!) and I rode down the hill like a hood ornament until the quad put my back into a tree and stopped.

I always wear one with a long cord becase it has saved my ***** a couple of times

just my thoughts on the subject

proquad_20
08-18-2003, 05:46 AM
AMA Rules ; ATVs, Chapter 11

All ATV's must be equipped with a functional tether type mechanical kill device or ignitin cutoff switch or button attached to the vehicle and to the rider so that the engine ignition is cutoff at any time when the rider becomes seperated from the ATV.

Read the Rules fellas... :D

I bet the people that have had a throttle stick when they were thrown off have never had it happen before that either.

When your quad runs over specators possibly killing someone, youll wish you did. Prime examples why ATVs are taking heat and there trying to ban them..