PDA

View Full Version : 2 wheeling on turns

Braff1
08-11-2003, 06:42 PM
I just recently started racing XC and I am having trouble with my quad wanting to 2 wheel in the turns. This even happens when I am hanging off to the inside of the quad. Any of you racers out there have and suggestions to help fix this.

400exstunta
08-11-2003, 06:47 PM
wider a-arms and axle...

Braff1
08-11-2003, 06:52 PM
I already have a lsr 2+ axle. any other suggestions

bradley300
08-12-2003, 02:54 AM
when yourr in a turn, stay 100% on the gas, then your more likely to have the tires spin and slide around instead of gripping so well.

400exstunta
08-12-2003, 03:23 AM
and losing traction helps you become slower and lose control. so IMO opinion thats a bad idea. its kinda like locking your brakes up completely in a turn. you dont want to do that either.

bradley300
08-12-2003, 05:06 AM
maybe, but you can turn faster on 4 wheels than you can just 2 right? at least it feels like you do.

RIDER11X
08-12-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exstunta
and losing traction helps you become slower and lose control. so IMO opinion thats a bad idea. its kinda like locking your brakes up completely in a turn. you dont want to do that either.

:huh Powerslides put the rear ties out to the side acting as sort of an outrigger to HELP stabilize the quad, not just look cool. But at certain times this is not a good idea such as on rutted corners that can grab a tire and flip ya!:ermm:

LTandRaptorider
08-12-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
:huh Powerslides put the rear ties out to the side acting as sort of an outrigger to HELP stabilize the quad, not just look cool. But at certain times this is not a good idea such as on rutted corners that can grab a tire and flip ya!:ermm:

And you definitely know that from experience!! :D :D You were right behind me, next time I looked I said to myself, "Where did he go?". Then you show up with dirt all over... :eek2:

I nail the brakes at the last possible second going into the turn, with a little more on the rear brake to start the slide. Then back to the gas, paying attention to the line you take, make any corrections with throttle, brake, body english you may need. I use the rear brake A LOT, while on the gas, keeps rpms up.

flyin#5
08-12-2003, 09:52 AM
i like to let off into a turn and then when you get to the halfway point you can just gas it and pick up speed. if you stay on the gas through the whole corner you get to that mid point in the turn and you get unstable and your wheels come off the ground. your loosing speed there because you have to let off the gas at the moment where you should be giving it the most gas. so i say go into the corner at a more medium speed then hammer down after you round it half way.

JUSTINcredible
08-12-2003, 01:00 PM
stay on the gas to the last possible second then hit the brakes and pull in the clutch and rev it up and dump the clutch 1/2 to 3/4 way through the turn on tight turns

on long swepperkind of turns just give it the bisquits the whole way through and powerslide through it

RIDER11X
08-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
And you definitely know that from experience!! :D :D You were right behind me, next time I looked I said to myself, "Where did he go?". Then you show up with dirt all over... :eek2:

I refer to that as me taking a soil sample to see what soil cushions my fall the best. I rate that particular soil highly, as the moisture content was excellent!:rolleyes:

08-13-2003, 02:09 AM
Good SSD shocks make a world of difference. Wider axle and A-arms help but XC is not something you wanna have a +4 axle for..:ermm: I"m yankin my LSR axle out for the winter XC series and puttin my stocker back in..

Overall good shocks are the main thing that can help. When i went from my rebuilt rear and front works to Elka's all around,,the first thing i noticed was how well it cornered...:D

quadman21
08-13-2003, 02:44 AM
Except for Rico, you guys all missed the point. He said he started racing XC. Unless your at the start on an open field, you do not have long sweeping turns. When your in the woods you have two rutted slots to follow mostly. When you go into a turn hot and heavy in a XC race you have a huge motion wanting to push you over. My advice is to #1 make sure you are running a 6ply tire that has stiffer sidewalls #2 lower the quad as much as you can without sacrificing ground clearence with leads me to #3 better suspension. Suspension is the one greatest modification a woods racer can make.

ex kid
08-14-2003, 02:04 PM
sounds like your trying to make up time by staying on the gas around nasty corners. your betting off using the clutch on the way into the corner and locking it up a little then as soon as you get the bike square with the turn get back on the gas. lean more. if you dont have shocks your gonna be haning off the bike really really far if you dont want it to 2 wheel and you still want to hit the turn hard.

toby400ex
08-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Hasnt it been said before that a back end alot wider than the front makes more body roll.

Braff1
08-14-2003, 04:00 PM
1. would 2+ front end be too wide for xc?
2. do you think putting more air in the rear would help loosen up the rear?

MojaveKing
08-14-2003, 04:04 PM
thanks...

quadman21
08-15-2003, 12:49 AM
No, you want to stay away from a +2 fromt end for XC. The typical set up for XC is stock width or +1 arms with 4-1 offset rims. I would change my axle if I were you. It's cheaper than buying new a-arms. Also, you don't want to run too high of Psi in XC. You need traction and you want your 6-ply tire to do it's job and not get punctured. Running a higher PSI in the rear will give you a harsher ride will making the tire more prone to punture. Everyone is different with what psi they like with but average is about 3-5 in the rear and about 4-6 in the front.

ex kid
08-15-2003, 01:57 AM
a +2 front end in the woods is pretty much a death wish. what size tires do you run. if you have 22'' tires thats playing part of the problem because there putting your weight up higher. if your running 20''s i dunno what else to tell you exept to go out and practice and try different ways to hit corners.

Braff1
08-15-2003, 02:14 AM
I am running 20's with a 2+ axle. I think I am going to try playing some more with tire pressures and suspension some more. If that don'w work i'll guess I will learn to deal with it.

quadman21
08-15-2003, 02:29 AM
Loose the +2 axle! and run about 4 psi in the rear and about 6psi in the front and adjust from there.