PDA

View Full Version : I Wanna See The New Honda!!!!!!

HotRod2Fitty
08-11-2003, 04:20 PM
I absolutely cant wait to see the new honda. Come spring im definetely getting either the yami or the honda. I am a die hard honda fan, but you gotta admit the yami is pretty impressive.
I hope the honda is good or better.

Ralph
08-11-2003, 04:23 PM
what kinda riding do u do. i can tell u exactly weather or not to get the honda. How much experience do u have with rebuilding engines?

HotRod2Fitty
08-11-2003, 04:26 PM
I do mostly woods riding/racing. I can rebuild simple air cooled motors like my 250x. I heard that the honda is complicated to work on with that unicam design, am i right?

Ralph
08-11-2003, 04:33 PM
buy a 400ex:)

08-11-2003, 04:40 PM
dude save your time & money & just get a 400ex after this new honda comes out they will be so cheap its not even funny...im thinking the ones in great condition will be around $3,600. :confused:

Castor-426ex
08-11-2003, 04:47 PM
i dont think the 400ex price will drop that much being the new models have a bigger carb, and i can tell you that the 400ex is gonna get more improvements along the way

and dont worry...the crf motor in the 450r wont use the same piston thats in the dirtbike version...it will have a piston skirt...and it wont have a rebuild requirement every so many hours of use...

4wheelboy
08-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by HotRod2Fitty
I absolutely cant wait to see the new honda. Come spring im definetely getting either the yami or the honda. I am a die hard honda fan, but you gotta admit the yami is pretty impressive.
I hope the honda is good or better.

then ull have to wait till september:(

08-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
i dont think the 400ex price will drop that much being the new models have a bigger carb, and i can tell you that the 400ex is gonna get more improvements along the way

and dont worry...the crf motor in the 450r wont use the same piston thats in the dirtbike version...it will have a piston skirt...and it wont have a rebuild requirement every so many hours of use...

What a sour deal, I bet the one without the skirt is much more fun :D :cool:

hondafox440
08-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Wouldn't a piston skirt cause it to need to be rebuilt more often than the non-skirted dirtbike, since there is more piston there? Last time I rebuilt by bike it has noticable wear on the skirt.

Castor-426ex
08-11-2003, 06:25 PM
ok think of it as this...with the piston on the cfr dirtbike there is no skirt...nuthin but ***..haha

Honda specifies that the top end of the crf450 be rebuilt every 15 operational hours

plus the crf piston is only a double ring piston

well when you talk about heat dispersion theres no place for it to go...plus the high compression of that motor...its really hell on the rings...the skirt also aids with friction issues along with giving the high heat a place to hang out besides the rings and ring grooves...

then theres lubrication...no piston skirt equals more oil loss because the skirt actually helps contain the lubrication run off and helps keep the cylinder well lubed...

basically all the crf450 is is a 4 stroke monster with a two stroke piston

jmoney45
08-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
buy a 400ex:)

Ralph,
Are you saying that the quad's motor is going to be as high maintenance as the bike? I wouldn't mind a once a year teardown, but 15 hours would be a bit much.

Natertot426ex
08-12-2003, 01:56 AM
My buddy just went down and put money down on the new honda a few days ago. He is really excited.

spincr4hire
08-12-2003, 01:59 AM
so when is the dealer stock date?

Pahrump
08-12-2003, 03:15 AM
I have already tried to put my money down actually I tried to pay a set amount in full and the dealer would not take my money cause they said they do not have a stock number yet and will not know when they will have one until sept 10th

bansheeguy77
08-12-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by jmoney45
Ralph,
Are you saying that the quad's motor is going to be as high maintenance as the bike? I wouldn't mind a once a year teardown, but 15 hours would be a bit much.

we heard at rausch the crf motor is high maintanance and will require a rebuild atleast every 6 months...but honda could change that who knows :blah:

Dave400ex
08-12-2003, 03:37 AM
I'm thinking the motor will be different and not need to be rebuilt that often. Honda knows the average rider doesn't want to mess with it, plus that would get expensive.

Castor-426ex
08-12-2003, 03:39 AM
yeah no kiddin i couldnt imagin spending 7 grand on a quad and then rebuilding the top end in it once or twice a year...ouch

Pahrump
08-12-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I'm thinking the motor will be different and not need to be rebuilt that often. Honda knows the average rider doesn't want to mess with it, plus that would get expensive.

Well I hope so but they do sell the CRF 450 dirtbike to the average rider cause I had one.

Castor-426ex
08-12-2003, 03:52 AM
whyd you get rid of it?

Pahrump
08-12-2003, 04:04 AM
whyd you get rid of it?
Well I lived in texas before and was able to race a few different motorcross tracks that were prety close and even race everynow and them in the PJ1 superarena cross series, but now I moved to Nevada close to las vegas and there is nothing here to do with it so I sold it hoping that honda would come out with a new quad to replace my raptor with that maybe I could race here in the desert series or go ove to cali and find a couple of motorcross tracks.

Plus I sold the bike cause when you get on it all you want to do is RIPIT and my wife does not ride quite as fast so when we go riding together I can stop and go to sleep on the quad while I wait on her to catch up. LOL

But I will tell you this I had my CRF for six months and never had to rebuild it and the guy that has it now is still going strong on it. Now I am not of Carmichaels calibar at all but I do ride hard and when I had a CR250 I used to rebuilt the top end about every 2 months or less.

Ralph
08-12-2003, 04:11 AM
yeah no kiddin i couldnt imagin spending 7 grand on a quad and then rebuilding the top end in it once or twice a year...ouch

RACERS spend 20 grand on their quad and rebuild it every race. u asked for a race quad and thats what their giving. U may think u wont need to rebuild often but i know u do!

Castor-426ex
08-12-2003, 05:40 AM
yeah i see your point....im curious to see what honda has coming
:D

Dave400ex
08-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Ralph I highly doubt they will make it that race ready. Sure they want it to be raceable, but they also know that less then half of the guys buying them will race with it.

dpizz450
08-12-2003, 01:55 PM
aaahhhhhh im goin nuts wit all thsesnew honda threads....try to keep them all in that sticky one ;) :grr:

08-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Ralph I highly doubt they will make it that race ready. Sure they want it to be raceable, but they also know that less then half of the guys buying them will race with it.

Have to agree with that since I couldnt see Honda giving up the reliability for just a few more ponies and a slightly quicker rev when its going into a quad.

Remember that if this machine is close to what we are expecting it will be Honda's first attempt at a "real" high performance engine in a quad in years. I just dont expect them to pull all the stops on the first release, and just hope that in the near future the performance designed into the quads catches up with the CR dirt bikes.

Now since this is all speculation and none of us here seem to really know for sure I bet none of us can wait to finally find out.

bluebaron
08-12-2003, 03:47 PM
how often for the yfz