PDA

View Full Version : CounterShaft Seal gone wild

toby400ex
08-11-2003, 03:01 PM
OK, im no engine person and really dont know what im doing. Yesterday while riding i noticed a little oil in my chassis skidplate and all around my front sprocket. I have found where it is coming from and it is from around the countershaft. Air is blowing out of the seal, just little puffs and i imagine thats wear the oil came from too. My question is can i avoid messing with this until winter, or is it going to get alot worse. Cuz ive got a race this sunday and prolly not the money to fix this even though the seal itself only costs 4 bux:mad:

chad502ex
08-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
OK, im no engine person and really dont know what im doing. Yesterday while riding i noticed a little oil in my chassis skidplate and all around my front sprocket. I have found where it is coming from and it is from around the countershaft. Air is blowing out of the seal, just little puffs and i imagine thats wear the oil came from too. My question is can i avoid messing with this until winter, or is it going to get alot worse. Cuz ive got a race this sunday and prolly not the money to fix this even though the seal itself only costs 4 bux:mad:

Toby,... yea the seal is only a couple of bucks and if ya can run the race without losing too much oil then maybe you'll be ok till ya purchase the few dollar seal- pop the old on out with a pick- then push the new one in. It's that simple. Good Luck, hope ya don't lose too much oil! HEH!

Chad502EX.com

toby400ex
08-11-2003, 03:11 PM
but do the cases have to be split, like the engine in half, will i have to finangle with the tranny parts too:(

chad502ex
08-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
but do the cases have to be split, like the engine in half, will i have to finangle with the tranny parts too:(

No, the cases do not have to be split. Use a pick to pull the old seal out and push in the new, that's it!! But be carefull when sliding the new seal over the shaft, don't screw up the new seal.

Cahd502EX.com

toby400ex
08-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks, thats a relief:rolleyes: