PDA

View Full Version : degree kee w/ big bore heat problem

chrisp333
08-11-2003, 02:25 PM
just put a 416 in withe porting and a wb rev kit and talked to curtis sparks and they said that they wouldnt put degree kees in big bores because of the heatproblem. if i installed a FST cooler kit alog side the stocker would that drop the temp to a safe range that would allow a timing advance?

chad502ex
08-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by chrisp333
just put a 416 in withe porting and a wb rev kit and talked to curtis sparks and they said that they wouldnt put degree kees in big bores because of the heatproblem. if i installed a FST cooler kit alog side the stocker would that drop the temp to a safe range that would allow a timing advance?

Chrisp, a 416 is not a big bore! The key would be great for your hi-rever. I use the key on my BIG BORE, but i use it to add to my 70+ ft/lbs of torque. In other words, the key is a great addition to the 416,... The 416 gives top end hp and the key bumps up the low- perfect complement. Hope this helps.

Chad502EX.com

chrisp333
08-11-2003, 03:18 PM
i didnt realize 416 wasnt a big bore. what is? 440 and greater or does it have to do with actually boring the motor it self to allow a bigger piston?:confused:

Bad Habit
08-11-2003, 03:38 PM
In general, a 440 or bigger is considered a big bore because it requires installing a larger sleeve to accomodate those size pistons. A 416 still requires boring the stock cylinder out .080" or 2mm. Stock piston is 85mm, 416 is 87mm, 440 is 89mm. The biggest you can go with the stock sleeve is 88mm.

I have a 6deg key in mine and I don't really have any more of a heat problem. But then again, I mostly ride in the dunes and have alot of air moving around the motor. An additional cooler is always a good idea no matter what mods are done to a 400.

chrisp333
08-11-2003, 03:56 PM
ill get the auxilary cooler because imm doing mostly woods ridind and climbing in which case i dont get alot of air. it would prob be a good idea for me to get some air scoops as well. any idea how much more oil needs to be added to the engine with an FST cooler if any?

Colby@C&DRacing
08-11-2003, 06:14 PM
When sparks says big bore he is really means a high compression motor not just the bore size itself . I have talked to him about this subject allot and he says they do not recommend it on high compression motors due to the extra heat. I run one in my wifes 416 and it makes a big difference but yes it gets hotter. I run a um racing oil tank and amsoil to keep it under control.