PDA

View Full Version : the system sucks!!!

Pappy
08-11-2003, 03:48 AM
ok, about 4 months ago one of the guys that works for me had his raptor stolen. he called the police and they made a report. the insurance company paid off the balance of his 1 month old raptor and all was squared away.

so this morning he gets a call from the police saying they have the quad. seems they actually caught the thief the very next day....and retrieved the quad. its been sitting in an impound lot 2 miles from his house for 4 months!!!!!! the paperwork got jacked up and it took an officer who saw something that didnt look right on some paper work to figure out he had never been notified about his quad:confused2

so now he has to pay over $500 to the impound lot to get it back. i told him to file a complaint against the police for thier mishandling of the paperwork.

Doibugu2
08-11-2003, 03:52 AM
If he got his quad paid off from the INS company, why is he getting the quad back? Doesn't the INS company own it now?

Now what your saying, always have to pay for someone else's mistake.

Pappy
08-11-2003, 03:55 AM
im not sure about what involvement the insurance company will have. he paid cash for his quad and he had a policy against theft. at this point he will get his quad back and either have to turn it in to the insurance company or pay resitution to them. i told him to give it back or to inform them that THIER quad is in the impound lot:p and to go buy the new yammy instead:devil:

i just think it pretty crappy that due to a clerical error he would be charged the storage fee.

Doibugu2
08-11-2003, 03:58 AM
Yea I agree with you on both accounts.

JLanphear
08-11-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
inform them that THIER quad is in the impound lot:p

I think that is the way to go...they own it now, their problem.

Otherwise take the *** that stole it to court to pay the impound fees, or a complaint on the police.

I agree with ya.

-Josh

lil400exman
08-11-2003, 04:31 AM
j youre right i would take the guy to court..............:mad:

Pappy
08-11-2003, 04:32 AM
im certain once the insurance company gets ahold of all the info they will handle pressing charges against this individual. i dont believe my employee has any recourse of action at this time against him.

JLanphear
08-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
im certain once the insurance company gets ahold of all the info they will handle pressing charges against this individual. i dont believe my employee has any recourse of action at this time against him.

The insurance company will deffinitaly do whatever is in their best interest.

I'm glad they caught the little *** now though cause if he woulda sold that Raptor to somebody else and they didn't catch it right away there is a good chance that he would have gotten away scott free.

The system sucks though, cops are too worried about hiding in the bushes on the interstate catching people going 5 mph over the speed limit to be bothered by actually solving a crime.

I'm sort of in a similar situation right now with a Banshee that I had that got taken away because it had actually come back as being stolen. I had it registered and everything but the DMV missed it.

Anyway, the course of action that I have to take is this....I have to sue the guy that I bought it from (who wasn't the criminal in this), and he has to sue the guy he got it from (who again is not the criminal), and he has to sue the guy he got it from (who IS the criminal) and finally justice will be served. Well, the likeliness of the person I got it from, and the person that he got it from of still having all the info and paperwork in this is very slim since it's been over 3 years, and the cops don't seem to want to pursue this even though they know the whole story.

I get disgusted even thinking about it.

So in the end I am sueing the person that I bought the quad from, who sold it to me in good faith. Even if I do end up getting my money back, it sucks when I think about it. Guess you just have to think about yourself.

-Josh

Doibugu2
08-11-2003, 04:47 AM
What about the pain and suffering of quading withdrawel? Did your EE go to rehab because he didn't have a quad to ride?

Colby@C&DRacing
08-11-2003, 06:19 AM
Why in the INS involved in this I thought they only cared about aliens:D JK I don't see why your friend should have to pay for the impound fee's when the cops screwed up that sounds about like the way they do business around here pretty stupid.

Ben
08-11-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
The system sucks though, cops are too worried about hiding in the bushes on the interstate catching people going 5 mph over the speed limit to be bothered by actually solving a crime.

Amen to that :cuss:

Juggalo
08-11-2003, 06:41 AM
if am understanding this correctly his insurance bought him a new raptor when his 1st one was stolen (actually this happened to me before, its how i got my 400). then they found his but didn't relay the info to him until now and he has a pretty beefy fine at the impound. well that does suck but if i was him i would just think of it as buying another raptor for 500 bucks. which doesn't suck. hell tell him i'll buy his raptor from him for 600 bucks. that way he makes 100 bucks on the deal.

JLanphear
08-11-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
if am understanding this correctly his insurance bought him a new raptor when his 1st one was stolen (actually this happened to me before, its how i got my 400). then they found his but didn't relay the info to him until now and he has a pretty beefy fine at the impound. well that does suck but if i was him i would just think of it as buying another raptor for 500 bucks. which doesn't suck. hell tell him i'll buy his raptor from him for 600 bucks. that way he makes 100 bucks on the deal.

He can't have the money and the quad, only one or the other

TheRedRebel17
08-11-2003, 06:48 AM

Ya..or the insurance copany would be out of 6 grand:blah:

Juggalo
08-11-2003, 06:48 AM
well maybe the insurance doesn't have to know he got his quad back..lol. or somethin. my quad was never recovered so i dunno what happens after the insurance gives you the money and they find it. my guess is they take your old one and put it up for auction or somethin

400EXrider#91
08-11-2003, 06:54 AM

i could be wrong, but i think he is saying that with the money that he got he bought another raptor:confused: (why would you buy another raptor when you could get a yfz) and he could buy his old one back for 500:confused2 i dunno, i don't understand this kind of stuff

Pappy
08-11-2003, 07:01 AM
alot of the times if its recovered the insurance company will offer you to buy back the vehicle. if not they auction them off.

popo
08-11-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Amen to that :cuss:

And that's why we need more laywers...... :grr:

It's always the cops fault..... We all set in the trees and do nothing. 47 stolen quad arrests this summer is doing nothing.:grr:

"THE SYSTEM" is nothing but a routine called a circle jerk. We the cops who's fault it is for everything, catches the crook takes him to jail, than it'a up to the LAYWERS to play there games. "Most of the time golf "

Guy400
08-11-2003, 09:26 AM
This exact scenario happened to a girl I was dating in college. Her car was stolen and the insurance company covered the theft per the insurance policy. At this point my girlfriend no longer owned the car. The title was given to the insurance company. About 2 months later her car was recovered in a sting operation along with about 8 other cars. The car was sitting at the police impound lot but at this point in time the title had been released to the custody of the insurance company. Whatever they choose to do is up to them. The same should apply for your employee's Raptor. When the insurance company paid the claim they should've requested the title from your employee (if he paid for it in cash) or requested the title from the bank (where the payment would've been made had there been a lien on the quad). If for some strange reason they paid him the money and he didn't turn the title over to the insurance company 3 things could happen: 1.) They request the money be paid back in full, 2.) You pay the current value of the quad established by the insurance company (and pay the impound fee), or 3.) The insurance company files an insurance fraud case against him.

Pappy
08-11-2003, 09:27 AM
ahhh it aint the officers fault...well actually it is because the reporting officer was suspended 2 days after he busted the quad thief:eek: they wouldnt say why, but thats the reason they are giving for it taking 4 months to get around to informing him:)

go get'em popo:devil:

JLanphear
08-11-2003, 09:35 AM
QUOTE]Originally posted by popo

It's always the cops fault..... We all set in the trees and do nothing. 47 stolen quad arrests this summer is doing nothing.:grr:

"THE SYSTEM" is nothing but a routine called a circle jerk. We the cops who's fault it is for everything, catches the crook takes him to jail, than it'a up to the LAYWERS to play there games. "Most of the time golf " [/QUOTE]

Ouch...lol...

But seriously if you were in my shoes when my whole situation went down you would understand where I am coming from. I had virtually NO HELP from the police, and had a hard enough time just getting them to return my calls. There are so many details that I am more than willing to elaborate on if you want to hear them....feel free to ask.

I'm not just saying that because I am out a quad worth several thousand dollars....that isn't the cops fault. Goes back to the whole "buyer beware" story. The quad technically was not mine in the end and that's basically my problem, but this got dragged out over several months and I would either get NO ANSWER from them or when I did get an answer it contradicted what I was already told.

Sure I'm a little down that I didn't get the quad back, but I don't place any of the blame on them, BUT like I said, I have my fair share of complaints about them.

I live in Vermont, it's a very rural area....I'm not saying that all police officers do nothing, and sit around all day, because I know that's not the case. However, I have had ZERO luck getting assistance in anything from them any time I have asked, not just this. I know that the police aren't my personal gofers that should be around to cater to my every whim but they do have a responsibility and if you read their mission statement they are not living up to it.

I have a 30 minute drive to work every day on the interstate. You can't go that distance without seeing at least 6 STATE officers parked in the median or in the bushes trying to nab people on the way to work. I don't totally disagree with this because the highways need to be patroled too, but you always hear them crying on the news that they are under staffed and all of that. Maybe they are, I'm not an expert, but when you see 4 officers in the same median parked next to eachother with their windows down chatting it makes you wonder what is really going on.

I'd personally like to see a report of the percentage of cases that are resolved here...I bet it's slim to none as far as thefts and things like that goes. I also bet that the ones that are solved are because somebody actually went to the police station themselves and gave them the specific information, with little or no investigation occuring. Speaking of which that just happened recently...

Anyway, maybe it's just the officers I've dealt with so far. Whatever the reason, my opinion of those specific officers is not very high. I received no answers, and no closer from any of them, regardless of what I have asked so far.

Speaking of lawyers....I've have good experiences with any that I have talked to. In fact I spoke with 2 on the phone recently and they gave me free council for handling my suit regarding my Banshee. They took the time out of their schedules to do that for me. I sent an email to both and within 1/2 hour they got back to me asking me to call. One of them was not in when I had the chance to call, but he returned my call within the hour.

Do you want to know what the quickest response time I got from the State Police was??? 1 Week!

Rip_Tear
08-11-2003, 11:50 AM
I am glad the quad was recovered and the theif caught! Its too bad that it took so long! Its nice to get cheap stuff from INS companies!

JTRtrx250r
08-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by popo

"THE SYSTEM" is nothing but a routine called a circle jerk. We the cops who's fault it is for everything, catches the crook takes him to jail, than it'a up to the LAYWERS to play there games. "Most of the time golf " I like this guy.....:D get em Popo and dont take no chit!!:macho INS co's suck!!you have to pay them thinking they are there for you......but really do what helps them:grr:

Texan32
08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
so, the quad was stolen. The insurance paid him a settlement. Cops caught the guy and recovered the quad.

Since he was "taken care of" (i use that term loosely when talking about insurance) by the insurance, the insurance co. actually owns the quad. Its just lik when you wreck a car. If te insurance considers the vehicle "totaled", they pay a settlement (pay off loan, re-emburse owner,.....), they then own the vehicle. You, the previous owner, can request to purchase the vehicle BACK from the insurance company. But, you will likely have to bust your arse to get the totaled "stamp" off the tags. But you CAN usually buy your wrecked car back.

250x#93
08-11-2003, 03:32 PM
That sux bad:(

popo
08-11-2003, 06:08 PM
If you would like Police stats, I would be more than happy to provide them.

The city I work for has 1750 sworn officers, which calculates out to be 1 police officer for every 2,457 citizens. On the average night I would take up to 30 dispatched runs and almost put a 130 to 150 miles on the cruiser within a 10-hour period.

As Pappy stated the system sucks. Point in case, I am still am going to court on a gentleman I arrested for his 12 OMVI (DUI) over two years ago.

Recently I caught some thieves breaking into a building, with the cruiser video recording the whole incident as they rammed there truck thru the overhead door, as I wait for back up, they where able to load up a bunch of tools and miscellaneous items etc. We swoop them, and away the go to jail with there hands in the cookie jar.

Well the lame *** prosecuting attorney felt sorry for them yadda yadda and they get 90 days probation. The business owner gets screwed because of the system’s paper pushing pass the buck lawyers with their cat and mouse routines. The business owner files a complaint against me, because these idiots get 90 days probation.

Remember that saying you catch them, I’ll clean and cook. Well Police Officers, State Troopers or any other fashion of law enforcement, only get to catch. We do not get the privilege to clean, otherwise the system would not suck!

Point in case, Look how many people have been sitting on death row for 10 years or more, who have been found guiltily with out a reasonable doubt within the highest levels of the court system. Or sentence somebody to death, in a state that does not carry capital punishment.

Crazy4bluEx
08-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Point in case, Look how many people have been sitting on death row for 10 years or more, who have been found guiltily with out a reasonable doubt

you would actually be surprised at the RIDICULOUS amount of people that have been killed on death row, or are currently walking it , that have been completely innocent indeed. Our whole system is screwed ^. If you know the right people, have enough friends, have alot of $$$$, ect... you can get away with more than the people that are less fortunate than you, its sad but true. I learned this the hard way. Popo the Police Department Officers in evansville In, are great guys, they work hard, and keep our streets safe. Its the punk ***** and yes i said punk sherrif officers that really get me going. They sit and wait 2 catch speeder's at 2 in the morning, when there is NO ONE on the road. Yes going 60 in a 45 on a perfectly SMOOTH blacktop road is against the law, but at 2 in the morning when there wont be a car seen for miles? they should simply say "slow down" before you get in an accident. Instead, what do they do? give reckless driving tickets, and take people 2 jail for DUI's when they arent drunk *happened 2 my dad*... he got all his money back, court fee's payed for, and the 2 days work he lost. All because the sherrif wanted 2 be a dickhead and take him "downtown" 2 ask questions since the breathalizer machine thing wouldnt work. I'll stop with the stories, but sherrifs around here SUCK, but the city police officers get my upmost respect and courtesy

Jmo...

wilkin250r
08-12-2003, 05:41 AM
My best friend is a police officer, so I get alot of exposure. I feel for police officers, they deal with the dregs and lowlifes of society on a daily basis.

If 90% of the people you deal with lie to your face, pretty soon you start to believe that all people are lyers. I can see how police officers turn into pricks. From their point of view, society is comprised of a pot full of degenerate scum.

I'm not saying I agree with it at all, but it happens. I've heard of cops that aren't racist, but soon LEARN to hate black people because 90% of the people they arrest are black, and soon they become racist by exposure.

This certainly doesn't apply to ALL cops, or even the majority, but it happens, and a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

What are your thoughts on this popo?

spincr4hire
08-12-2003, 06:28 AM
I think cops, firemen, and teachers are all WAY underpaid.

When you drive into our great state of Kentucky, the sign says "Welcome to Kentucky, where education pays", they left out the part "but teaching doesn't"...:rolleyes: