PDA

View Full Version : 250x problem

Diedrich
08-10-2003, 06:42 PM
my buddy has a 250x and we cant get it started. he went through it and replaced the rod,piston,rings,valves,cam, and timing chain. it ran after he put it back together but it has been sittin for about 2 months since then and now it wont start. we adjusted the timing the other day and it ran for a couple of minutes then shut off. its not the carb cause we've even tried spraying starting fluid in it and starting it. and we've cleaned the carb twice. does anybody have any idea what it could be?

wilkin250r
08-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Adjusted the timing? How so?

Provided it was assembled correctly, first and foremost make sure you are getting a spark. Second, be sure you are in the ballpark for jetting. It may help to push/tow start it if you are having trouble kicking it.

When it ran for a few minutes, did he check the plug? What color was it?

Diedrich
08-11-2003, 10:29 AM
i know its gettin spark..we took the carb off and sprayed starting fluid in it and it still wont start. no we didnt check the plug and he set the timing to what the manual said. i thought it could be jumping time maybe. cause it ran for a couple weeks when he first put it back together but after he let it sit it stopped running and has only ran for the 2 minutes since then

Diedrich
08-11-2003, 05:01 PM
ttt

wilkin250r
08-12-2003, 05:03 AM
These sort of problems are difficult to diagnose, because there can be a hundred different reasons why a quad won't run.

Check the compression to make sure the rings are good and such. Make sure the carb is clean and it is getting fuel. Make sure it has a good spark. Check and double check all the basic things, fuel in the tank, new spark plug, make sure it's getting enough air. (I had a rag stuffed into an airbox boot once, it took me 3 hours to figure out why it wasn't running)

The jetting doesn't need to be exact, but it needs to be ballpark. You will never get it started is you are WAY to rich or lean.

If all that fails, take it to a shop.

WEEZIL
08-12-2003, 06:08 AM
YES wilkin250r you couldnt be more correct. my blaster was running like poo after i got it and rebuilt it here a chipmunk decided to call my airbox his home the airbox was TOTALLY full of stuff. everyting you could imagine was in this airbox so definately check the air route especially if it sat for 2 months :scary: :scary: