PDA

View Full Version : need more low end what to do?

Martin Blair
08-10-2003, 05:33 PM
I would like more low end power out of my bike i have a lrd exhaust system and a k&n filter i dont really want to tear the motor down, will a tc exhaust give me more bottom end?

Bender
08-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Well if you have a full race exhaust on a pretty much stock engine, you may have lost a bit of low end torque.
Try just a slip on.Drop a gear up front to 14, if you havn't yet. I would just get a higher compression piston or go with a 416 and a Hot Cam stage 1. But I guess you don't want to get into the engine.

Martin Blair
08-10-2003, 05:59 PM
i tired a 14t front sprocket and it doesnt work to well i get stuck between 2nd and 3rd so i went back to stock gearign so i can hold second longer for more speed but still have power, yes my exhaust is a full system, i know tc racing has good lowend does anyone know tcs #?

toby400ex
08-10-2003, 06:07 PM
A different pipe isnt going to do much. I need to get a 14 tooth sprocket because it seems in most cases 2nd is too low and 3rd is a bit too high.

Martin Blair
08-10-2003, 06:10 PM
yeah i hear ya there but i get stuck between 2nd and 3rd so i was thinking aobut goign up to a 39 on rear and leaivng the bakc a 15.

Or posibly run both a 14 frotna nd a 39 rear.

drip
08-11-2003, 05:37 AM
I am running 15-39 on my 400ex with 20 inch tires. I have a WB ProMeg system with vents in the airbox lid and my jetting is a 155 main with a 40 pilot. I have plenty of low end power.

markeg192
08-11-2003, 05:55 AM
This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about a lack of bottom end. Your best bet would be a high compression piston.

Martin Blair
08-11-2003, 07:52 AM
hmm well my bike has alot of bottom and midranges power the lrd pulls hard threw the midrange and taking the choke out helped topend, i just htought maybe there was a way to get a little more bottom end without tearing the mototr down, i cut 2 inchs of my lrd but i dont think and wasnt expecting any power gains, just a bit louder and i think it looks better.

Im going to run a 14t front and a 39t rear, i dont hit 5th gear at all so maybe i can start using all the bikes gears.

Martin Blair
08-11-2003, 04:12 PM
bump

Diedrich
08-11-2003, 04:20 PM
get a TC pipe, high compression piston, and a cam. thats not much motor work. you can do it all your self

08-11-2003, 04:36 PM
get a TC pipe, high compression piston, and a cam. thats not much motor work. you can do it all your self

Pretty sound advice.

If you want to pick up a little bottom end power just try a second hand disc type silencer on the oem header. You will loose some of the top end (one of the benefits of the free flowing lrd) but will gain on the bottom if you find the right amount of discs to run.

The only way your going to get the increase in the bottom end torque without loosing much top end is to go with the high comp piston, and no I am not talking 10.5:1 either. And you will still want to be able to adjust the back pressure in the exhaust to tailor it to your likes.

Martin Blair
08-11-2003, 05:26 PM
i think my bike is good after cutting 2 inches off it helped a bit and the screen type spark arrestor helps alot, its a ggod midrange pipe and i am getting a 40mm flat side carb this winter and prob piston and cam so im keeping the exhuast, im am also goign to run 14t front and a 39t rear for power since i never hit 5th racing i can now use all the bikes gears.