PDA

View Full Version : DUNERS I need Help

Blackguywithouta400
01-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Im getting ready to start planing for my frist real summer at the dunes with the 400, well first summer needing paddles anyways. I dont know what to get ive been told i cant go wrong with the Haulers 20x10x9 8 paddles or do i need to go with the 20x10x10 10 paddles ? I dont really know what the 4 stroke will like Im pretty sure i want the haulers but thats it, what ever i choose i will use Douglas 190's :D

400MXer
01-23-2002, 08:59 PM
I would get the paddles on the 10" rim just because it looks sweet. as for the number of paddles on the tire, I can't help ya there.

01-23-2002, 10:10 PM
I've got 20" 8-paddles on a 10" rim and it seems to work pretty good, but I think I would have gone with 10-paddle had I seen them at the time. Looks like yer built pretty good, but keep in mind that sand EATS gas/power like crazy. Next time I go to Glamis, I think I'll go with a larger rear sprocket to gear it down a bit, I can barely get to top of 4th as it is in the sand.

Enjoy!

Chef
01-23-2002, 10:32 PM
Go 20x10x10 9 paddle haulers, that should do the trick! :D

01-24-2002, 09:36 AM
Has anyone used straight and V paddles? I'm going to buy some in the next day or 2 and just wonder what you recommend. I know that the v paddles help you turn and slide better, and the straight paddles are faster. Is the difference that drastic?

Wheelie
01-24-2002, 10:34 AM
Stick with 8 paddle whatever you do, your quad won't have the power to turn 9 or 10 paddle tires.

I highly recommend the Skat-Trak Edges, great hillclimbing ability and they still allow good turning ability. I'm a V-Paddle tire fan myself, that's all I will run.

Fatboy Racing:

You should be able to grab fifth gear in the sand without any trouble. It sounds like you are jetted to rich on the main circuit. Next time you go to the dunes, take a 155, 158, and 160 main jet with you and try them out. Any one of those three will drastically help the performance of your quad throughout the powerband.:D

I run stock gearing with an E-Series slip-on, K&N filter, modded airbox, 40pj, 155mj, clip on needle lowered one notch. It pulls fifth in the sand no problem (at 0-50ft elevation).

Just trying to help. No flame intented. Peace.

Jeremiah

Glamis400ex
01-24-2002, 05:26 PM
Blackguy400,

I second the motion for the V-paddles. It's all I run in the dunes. I have the Sand Sharks V-blade on mine. They are an excellent buy, about $50 or so a pop. Not the most expensive, but work very good for the money.

FatBoy,

I also have no prob what-so-ever getting into 5th with my 400ex and stock gearing. I have a full DMC exhaust, K&N and no airbox lid, 160 main, 40 pilot. Plug is perfect. That set-up works very good for me.

Hope this helps,

Glamis

JOEX
01-24-2002, 11:03 PM
Make sure whoever is in front of you has V-paddles.......they don't throw as much sand as the straight paddles!!!

As a general rule:

V-paddles are better for trails and turning.

Straight paddles are better for climbing and launching.

Joe

Crowdog
02-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Blackguyona400
Im getting ready to start planing for my frist real summer at the dunes with the 400, well first summer needing paddles anyways. I dont know what to get ive been told i cant go wrong with the Haulers 20x10x9 8 paddles or do i need to go with the 20x10x10 10 paddles ? I dont really know what the 4 stroke will like Im pretty sure i want the haulers but thats it, what ever i choose i will use Douglas 190's :D

Blackguyona400:

What tires did you end up with 8 paddle or 10?

My wife's 400 (pipe, k&N, jet) has 8 paddle haulers and seems perfect. I plan to do at least a 416 on mine. Will I be able to pull 10 paddle haulers or should I stick with 8's?

Crowdog
Friends of Sand Mountain (http://www.sandmountain-nv.org)

Blackguywithouta400
02-21-2002, 03:38 PM
I havent decided yet on them, i think ill go with the 8 paddle haulers myself that seems to be the average/norm out4sand has 8 paddle haulers on his 425 he might be albe to tell us a little more how he likes his setup.

mopar 400
02-22-2002, 10:18 AM
I have used both straight paddles and the V paddles on my 400. I would say that if you are going to do a lot of straight line drags, go with the straight 8 paddle haulers. If you are looking for a good all around V paddle, then I would suggest the Sand Skate II's. These are the current tires I have been running for the past year, and for overall dune riding, they are awesome.

Just my 2cents!