PDA

View Full Version : Rode the new 450 today ...and raced too........

QuadJunkies
08-10-2003, 04:59 PM
All I can say is ....................WOW:eek: :eek2: :cool: :macho VERY sweet quad!!!!!! Ive already seemd them several times now riding around and Troy raced him on the PRedator.A few weeks go he raced a guy from St. A's and it just whooped his butt:o ..But not the case today....:D IMO he needed to re-jet(the 450) and do a few minor adj and it would run a ton better,(he had open air box and baffle out)my only complain about it was the seat SUCKS royally!!!!:ermm: the most un comfrotalbe seat I have ever sat on.And the owner agreed.He didnt seem to impressed with his new quad.We all got to testing each others rides out and I really liked the RPMs.Just when you think you should be shifting soon...............You just keep a revvin.......I hope Honda's is the Bomb(which we all know it will,I have faith;) ) but for all who has not got to experience riding one yet...They are DEf fast!!!!!:blah:

Narly R
08-10-2003, 05:08 PM
AWSOME! ya there nice bikes, but I would love to see Honda kick there butt with there new quad, but I think there going to be quit the same! This is what iu found on a nother site about the new Honda...

Yes, it is finally real. What you see here is all Honda is revealing but at least we can end the rumors on what engine will be in the new Honda TRX. Watch here for details on Spetember 11th.
Torrance, CA - On September 10th, 2003, American Honda will introduce the long awaited replacement of the legendary TRX 250R.

The incredible TRX 450R is powered by an all-new, purpose built, race ready ATV engine based on the award winning CRF 450R motocrosser. At the time of announcement, details will also be provided on special HRCŪ closed-circuit performance parts.

The new era of domination begins after the Honda Dealer Business Meeting, on September 10th at www.hondamotorcycles.com.

.......... I dunno if its been posted but it will be here I want to see this bad boy!

08-10-2003, 05:17 PM
why do you guys like the yfz so much, its a nice ride but i still like my 400ex more:ermm:

416exmx
08-10-2003, 05:17 PM
i ran my built TC425 national kit quad aginst a yfz450 today. he pulled me in the straights by a couple lengths but i always caught him in the corners. his threw him farther in the jumps than what mine did. i kinda struggled to clear stuff he was playin with. i dont know though, i am not going to get all excited about it or the new honda untill they smoke my houser/axis yzf426.

QuadJunkies
08-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
why do you guys like the yfz so much, its a nice ride but i still like my 400ex more:ermm: why did I like it.......:huh because it was THAT nice........:cool: Im still holding out for ole HOnda, but I am just telling you my experince on the machine and how I felt it was like....For just an day riding,the fell is very nice and the power is Def there, everything feels real good (except that darn seat):p Not every one has to like just ONE quad, Im open mided to all quads,my 400ex I love too, but its needing more get up.Here soon we shall see....;)

08-10-2003, 05:48 PM
i didnt think it was any fun to ride, 250rs have more bottom end imo it handles nice but the bars are too low ,it feels like the gearing is wrong or something i dunno, i didnt like it too much , i still wouldnt mind having one tho;)

QuadJunkies
08-10-2003, 05:54 PM
i didnt think it was any fun to ride, 250rs have more bottom end imo it handles nice but the bars are too low ,it feels like the gearing is wrong or something i dunno, i didnt like it too much , i still wouldnt mind having one tho;) personally..I would like to get one out on the flattrack.......:macho :blah:

own2424
08-10-2003, 06:03 PM
you guys think a YFZ450 will take a piped Banshee in the sand? Hills and straight flats?!:confused:

08-10-2003, 06:06 PM
it should def with a pipe, there fast

D-4our
08-10-2003, 07:11 PM
to me riding the 450 was just like my 250r and everything more. i loved it but i think id still rather buy a 400ex and mod the $#!t out of it for the same price as a 450 would be.

QuadJunkies
08-11-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by own2424
you guys think a YFZ450 will take a piped Banshee in the sand? Hills and straight flats?!:confused: Well, yes IVe seen it beat piped Shees was well,but I think alot is going to be a rider issue as well.Ive seen a few piped that have beat the 450 but have seen it the other way around as well.Just like yesterday,our Predator beat a slightly modded 450 by a few bike lengths,and yet the one on out duning trip beat the Predator with little ease ......

Glow Plug
08-11-2003, 03:32 AM
So Quadjunkies you wanting to sell that 400ex if the new 450r is all it's cracked up to be?

QuadJunkies
08-11-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
So Quadjunkies you wanting to sell that 400ex if the new 450r is all it's cracked up to be? Alot will depend on finances.Im still thinmking on 440 for mine this spring cause I do love my quad,I may trade her off .Im in no hurry though so Ill just sit back and see what Honda does........:blah:

Pappy
08-11-2003, 04:02 AM
i rode one this weekend. seemed like one of the best STOCK quads ive ever riden besides the cannondale. the power was smooth and predictable. i didnt think it felt any stronger then my 426 but all in all a very decent set up.

dislikes???

chain adjustment
swing arm
shocks were a bit stiff but still very good

QuadJunkies
08-11-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i rode one this weekend. seemed like one of the best STOCK quads ive ever riden besides the cannondale. the power was smooth and predictable. i didnt think it felt any stronger then my 426 but all in all a very decent set up.

dislikes???

chain adjustment
swing arm
shocks were a bit stiff but still very good How about the seat?Did you like it?I felt as though I was riding on a seat made from a log....:eek2: I also saw my first Cdale speed locally and raced one of them too........:p After riding the 450 I then hopped on a Z400.At first I liked it, but after comparng to other quads,I didnt like it as well.So Kenny, did he do any airbox mods or was it still totally in stock form?

flyin#5
08-11-2003, 04:19 AM
a kid i talk to all the time has one and i got to see him race it this weekend. i got a concusion in practice and really wasnt "right" all night otherwise id tell you how he did. lol but it was a beast and i could tell it riped.

Pappy
08-11-2003, 04:24 AM
i think he did the typical mods....stock pipe tho.

i didnt mind the seat cuz the one on my 400 is like a brick:o lol...but jeff has my new hi flite foam on order:macho

i didnt crank to hard on this kids quad but i opened it up pretty good. i also spent an hour or so in the woods with A class gncc rider mike johnson. he could ride alot better then me:D but i wasnt far behind him on my stock 400. every chance i had id try to stick with him on the straights and i did.

the yzf is gonna be a great quad. it has its problems as do most but overall id stick a yammy in the garage based on the sketchy info i have on the honda:ermm: i cant stand rebuilding a 4 stroke every year and if its a crf im afraid thats gonna be the case.

another big plus for the yammy is the engine. you hear of very few failures......i cant say that about the crf. its a great engine but kinda like a super model....it needs constant attention and work:D

dirtmomma
08-11-2003, 05:40 AM
Yeah Tina that is what I didn't like about the 450 either is the hard arse seat!!!! I never used to like our 400 seat either until I started riding sport quads now it's alright, my 300 seat is still way more comfy, glad to see I'm not the only one who judges that on a quad LOL. I sat on a brand new 300EX & that seat was about as hard as the Yami!!! Yeah it would be AWESOME to be able to flattrack one, man can you imagine hehehe I'm hoping there isn't a butt load of them in the womens class this season cuz that'll suck!!! Here I thought I upgraded to my 300 LOL, but I'm getting ready to freshen her up, new piston,cam(maybe), valve adjustment, & maybe a different carb I'll have to see on that. Ordered my new rear rims & front tires finally, went w/ the Kenda Klaw MX for the fronts in a 20x6x10 figure if I don't like them the hubby can put them on the 400 & I'll get holeshots. But of course they ar eon backorder for 3 weeks:grr: :rolleyes: :( but don't need them really till Oct. waiting on the rims though can't wait to get the new flattrack tires on them & see what they look like!!! BTW went riding w/ soggyrider,joeex, & deepcj7 this weekend had a good time they are a good bunch of people!!! Some MAJOR trails, only wide enough for one quad (thank god I took my front spacers offf) & lots of whoops, rocks, tight turns!!! But it was fun & I kept up!!!!!

QuadJunkies
08-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Yeah Tina that is what I didn't like about the 450 either is the hard arse seat!!!! I never used to like our 400 seat either until I started riding sport quads now it's alright, my 300 seat is still way more comfy, glad to see I'm not the only one who judges that on a quad LOL. I sat on a brand new 300EX & that seat was about as hard as the Yami!!! Yeah it would be AWESOME to be able to flattrack one, man can you imagine hehehe I'm hoping there isn't a butt load of them in the womens class this season cuz that'll suck!!! Here I thought I upgraded to my 300 LOL, but I'm getting ready to freshen her up, new piston,cam(maybe), valve adjustment, & maybe a different carb I'll have to see on that. Ordered my new rear rims & front tires finally, went w/ the Kenda Klaw MX for the fronts in a 20x6x10 figure if I don't like them the hubby can put them on the 400 & I'll get holeshots. But of course they ar eon backorder for 3 weeks:grr: :rolleyes: :( but don't need them really till Oct. waiting on the rims though can't wait to get the new flattrack tires on them & see what they look like!!! BTW went riding w/ soggyrider,joeex, & deepcj7 this weekend had a good time they are a good bunch of people!!! Some MAJOR trails, only wide enough for one quad (thank god I took my front spacers offf) & lots of whoops, rocks, tight turns!!! But it was fun & I kept up!!!!! Awe...you lucky gal!!!I picture JoeEx and Soggyrider to be a kick in the pants!!:p Did you get any pics?? I was hoping to go up to Silver creek plundge this wk end and trail ride and hit the hot springs,but money permitting and all that packing for a wk end is to much.I got my new rear tires this week, and oredring a set of Burgards if I ever find where I lost there number to call them at..:o my fronts I have now and awaiting to buy rims for them as well.Im in a bit of a hurry for them so I can practice up for my first race of the season next month.My grahpics should be ready in another week or so,and I got my sway bar and frontlowering kit last week....Just about ready to rumble.......:macho

dirtmomma
08-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Yeah I got some pics but gotta finish off the film, didn't use the digital this trip. They are pretty funny we had a good time BS'ing w/ them!!! Sounds like your set to start racing soon, your guys' starts next month?? Wish ours did, it starts in Nov. I just found out today that they are closing one of the nicer fast tracks down south (Rainier) that sucks:mad: they are going to make it into a jeep 4x4 track or something:ermm: then the big track up north in Bellingham(Hannegan) they dont' know if they will have flattrack next season either I don't know whats going on but I wish I could go buy a big ol piece of land & start our own!!!

cjpoole1
08-11-2003, 04:20 PM
i didnt think it was any fun to ride, 250rs have more bottom end imo it handles nice but the bars are too low ,it feels like the gearing is wrong or something i dunno, i didnt like it too much , i still wouldnt mind having one tho;)
I thought the gearing was too high also. I dropped a tooth on the front and now I absolutly love it and can't wait to put the pipe, filter, and rejet it and see how much even better it gets!!!
http://bxtrememotorsports.com/yzf/450-8.jpg

QuadJunkies
08-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Yeah I got some pics but gotta finish off the film, didn't use the digital this trip. They are pretty funny we had a good time BS'ing w/ them!!! Sounds like your set to start racing soon, your guys' starts next month?? Wish ours did, it starts in Nov. I just found out today that they are closing one of the nicer fast tracks down south (Rainier) that sucks:mad: they are going to make it into a jeep 4x4 track or something:ermm: then the big track up north in Bellingham(Hannegan) they dont' know if they will have flattrack next season either I don't know whats going on but I wish I could go buy a big ol piece of land & start our own!!! Im only racing once on the fast track here in Sept then the season starts up the week before Thanksginving usually. They just wanted all the new womens class racers to race the summer track once before it ended...:)

86350x
08-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Most 4-wheeler seats are pretty cushy. But on all moto cross bikes they are hard, and almost non-exsistant. You will be sore for the first couple hrs on end rides, but soon your duff will get used to it.

Doing the old buns of steele work-outs will help out too. Your riding style will change, you won't sit down much, and in most cases if your standing up your going faster.

Baisically my 426 has a seat about the size and hardness of a 2x4.:ermm:

QuadJunkies
08-12-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
Most 4-wheeler seats are pretty cushy. But on all moto cross bikes they are hard, and almost non-exsistant. You will be sore for the first couple hrs on end rides, but soon your duff will get used to it.

Doing the old buns of steele work-outs will help out too. Your riding style will change, you won't sit down much, and in most cases if your standing up your going faster.

Baisically my 426 has a seat about the size and hardness of a 2x4.:ermm: Yeah your right there..But someof the general public (well a major amt of public really) Who buys quads dont race ,I mean sure.We have TONS of poeple who race but dont they base some on the Ave rider ??A seat is a drop in the bucket,it would never make or break my buying decision a seat can be customized.hahaha buns of steel......Do they also help blisters you get on your duff from hours of riding???If so....maybe I should buy that video then:p

08-12-2003, 05:11 AM
to me the shocks felt exactly the same as my works peformance, things i didnt care for was

the rear brake resvoir having a lil cover and mounting odd,yamahas throttle positioning censor, yamahas just seem to have more wires and its not as easy to understand as a honda imo, the seat latch is just molded off the plastic on the seat and there are no pegs like honda,i like the snorkel system honda has for the airbox, the front shock mounts dont look too strong either does the tubing the front motor mounts go to, the front motor mounts just dont look strong, the frame is ugly in between the a arms and looks kinda cheesy, the bottom a arms scare me, chain adjustmnet sucks, the swingarm b others me, axle looks like a warriors, hubs and wheels look low quality, those metal things on the inside of the front wheels, the plastic is ok except its extremely hard to put numbers backgrounds or stickers on, the linkage for the back shock just lookes small and worries me,but the rear shock setup looks like a 500 link style or dirtbikish,the steering stem is a ****ty setup, and the bottoms of the front shocks just dont seem right

08-12-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i think he did the typical mods....stock pipe tho.

i didnt mind the seat cuz the one on my 400 is like a brick:o lol...but jeff has my new hi flite foam on order:macho

i didnt crank to hard on this kids quad but i opened it up pretty good. i also spent an hour or so in the woods with A class gncc rider mike johnson. he could ride alot better then me:D but i wasnt far behind him on my stock 400. every chance i had id try to stick with him on the straights and i did.

the yzf is gonna be a great quad. it has its problems as do most but overall id stick a yammy in the garage based on the sketchy info i have on the honda:ermm: i cant stand rebuilding a 4 stroke every year and if its a crf im afraid thats gonna be the case.

another big plus for the yammy is the engine. you hear of very few failures......i cant say that about the crf. its a great engine but kinda like a super model....it needs constant attention and work:D

i feel more comfortable rebuilding mine at the end of the season

86350x
08-12-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Yeah your right there..But someof the general public (well a major amt of public really) Who buys quads dont race ,I mean sure.We have TONS of poeple who race but dont they base some on the Ave rider ??A seat is a drop in the bucket,it would never make or break my buying decision a seat can be customized.hahaha buns of steel......Do they also help blisters you get on your duff from hours of riding???If so....maybe I should buy that video then:p

LOL! no hemroids or blisters yet. Ya don't need the vid, buy the denise austin one instead:p Doing step ups on an aerobics step or a weight bench will get your buns into shape (along with some running or jogging also).

I know what ya mean on the tons of people, I'm sure someone will offer a taller softer seat, that's the case for most modern moto and off-road bikes.