View Full Version : How to prevent blisters on hands?

Ty's400
08-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi I just was curious what you guys do so you don't get blisters so bad. After my race today my hands were so sore and had blisters. I don't know if it is cause my gloves aren't good enough or what. Just wanted to hear some tips. thanks

ex kid
08-10-2003, 04:16 PM
i havnt had a race where i havnt got blisters. ive herd of racers wearing blister resistor gloves under there reg. gloves with some gold bond powder. jonhy g or jeff or harlen might know somthing.

08-10-2003, 04:38 PM
i dont wear gloves...but then again I dont race...i aggressive trail ride tho :confused:

Castor-426ex
08-10-2003, 04:45 PM
kevlar gloves

TCracin440ex
08-10-2003, 09:10 PM
i can almost garentee all racers and riders get blisters...nothin to complain about....but get some gloves...and also i kno a trick to reduce vibration of the handle bars....makes ridding long time les tiring on the arms....put foam in the ends of the bars....it works it obsorbs vibration

infantry317
08-11-2003, 12:46 AM
At the Millville WORCS race I saw Daryl Rath had medical tape wrapped around his hands kinda like a boxer just not as much tape ;) I will try this next time I do a XC.

08-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Blister resistor gloves do help but it's hard not to get them. I rode on a MX track for about 45 min. on friday night and got 2 blisters..:ermm:

soft grips, blister resistors, and good gloves help but the best thing you can do is ride more...

660bigdaddy
08-11-2003, 01:40 AM
first three races i got blisters, once your hands get callased, (sp) you don't have to worry any more about blisters. :D jmo

(KN)GNCC91
08-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Ride time cures everything. If you can't find the time to ride try some oury waffle grips, if you run a twist by the road bike grips.

Ty's400
08-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Thanks a lot for the help. I might try some of that medical tape and see about some better gloves. I'm sure that the more I race that I won't have as much trouble! thanks

ex kid
08-11-2003, 03:34 PM
just fuc**in deal with it:scary:

cdalejef
08-11-2003, 03:41 PM
I guess I've been racing so long that I just don't get them anymore unless the track is extremely wooped out. Grips are a big factor in getting blisters. The grips that I like the best are Renthal full waffle mediums and factory Cannondale (motorcycle) grips. The worst ones I have ever used are the Scott Hurricane's, I get blisters just looking at them!

Alot of racers use the Blister Resisters like Rico said. I have never used them so I can't comment.

honda400exrider
08-11-2003, 04:00 PM
I have really calloused hands so that always helps:devil: but I still bleed on the outside of my pointer finger when I ride in real rough stuff all day. *note* I dont wear gloves, although I should, n I dont race, although ive been to rausch just once:devil:

Castor-426ex
08-11-2003, 05:24 PM
if you want some kevlar gloves pm me...ill sell you some..I have an unlimited supply...lol heeheeheehee

Ty's400
08-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Where can you find these blister resistor gloves at? thanks

cdalejef
08-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Most dealers should be able to order them for you.

400exmom
08-12-2003, 03:53 PM
that did it for me i only wear gloves when i race but i can play ride now hard for hours and dont get blisters but my hands arent very lady like any mo:devil:

QuadJunkies
08-12-2003, 07:45 PM
I just started getting blisters this year riding..:huh Never got them before, but this las trip out riding for three days(well about 18 hours or so of riding) and my hands were toast!blisters on blisters.I think some of it has to do with these gloves,but I dunno.They are Thor Mx I think .My cheper ones were better I think.How about gel grips? Do they work well?? Between my gloves and my grips, I think a softer set would come in handy... I was told of a good set,but cant remeber for the life of me what they are called........:confused:

08-13-2003, 01:52 AM
Well I run renthal Medium grips and they work great but you will get blisters. Calasas...blah...I cut em off.. calassas bring on blisters if ya ask me. Another factor is if you got the hammer down. I can take an easy ride and be fine... For example i rode at this last hatfield trip for 100's of miles and hours and hours of riding and never got 1 blister my gloves were pretty much soakin wet the entire time too...I rode hard but not like on a mx track. I spent 40 minutes riding last friday on the MX track and came home with 2 blood blisters...:ermm:

gncc35
08-13-2003, 02:29 AM
The medical tape works. I have tried everything and nothing works as good as the tape.

QuadJunkies
08-13-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Well I run renthal Medium grips and they work great but you will get blisters. Calasas...blah...I cut em off.. calassas bring on blisters if ya ask me. Another factor is if you got the hammer down. I can take an easy ride and be fine... For example i rode at this last hatfield trip for 100's of miles and hours and hours of riding and never got 1 blister my gloves were pretty much soakin wet the entire time too...I rode hard but not like on a mx track. I spent 40 minutes riding last friday on the MX track and came home with 2 blood blisters...:ermm: mine are stock grips, I used to use firm Renthal on my 300ex...boy, that was a joke:p ,I tried Raptor grips on my 400ex,but couldnt get them to stay on.I did ride pretty hard this last tow wk ends of riding so maybe thats a good reason for the blisters.....

Doibugu2
08-13-2003, 04:33 AM
I got the pro grips which seem to work pretty well. I still get blisters but not as bad.

WOOLIN
08-13-2003, 09:30 AM
the more you ride the more callased your hands will get callases protect your hands from blistering so ride more often to get rid of the blisters :D

monkeyboy
08-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by WOOLIN
the more you ride the more callased your hands will get callases protect your hands from blistering so ride more often to get rid of the blisters :D

dattz cuzz u puncch u munch kin 2 mucch nott frum ridden u fo weeela:ermm: :blah:

300exHILLER
08-13-2003, 10:23 AM
Like what 660bigdaddy said just keep riding they will go away

Martin Blair
08-13-2003, 03:47 PM
i dont get blisters, i ride everyweekend and my hands have built up calises and tought spots, it doesnt bother me much anymore.

quadracer99
08-13-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
i dont get blisters, i ride everyweekend and my hands have built up calises and tought spots, it doesnt bother me much anymore.
i have doen the same thing... i have never gotten a blister on my hands at all... juss calises

86atc250r
08-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Surprised I haven't seen one of the most important suggestion here, yet...

Wear gloves that fit.

By fit, I mean, well... Fit like a glove.

I sit at a computer all day long. My hands are not calloused at all. For the last year or two, the only riding I've been able to do is racing & I can't remember the last time I got a significant blister, even when I rode the 12hrs of America race last year.

I do however, have a couple sets of gloves I rotate thru and am very careful of the sizing & replace them when they get worn and/or stretched.

One of the most important thing you can do to prevent blisters is make sure your gloves fit TIGHT & don't have seams/sewing in places where they will rub.

Oh yeah, I've found over the years that some of my favorite gloves for comfort and durability are MSR - their good gloves, not the "rage" series...

cdalejef
08-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Good point! I've also seen some gloves that have pads made into the palm actually cause blisters because they tend to bunch up when you are gripping hard on the bars.
You gotta make sure they aren't too tight tho because that can lead to the dreaded arm pump.:huh

shamisc
08-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Ty's400
Hi I just was curious what you guys do so you don't get blisters so bad. After my race today my hands were so sore and had blisters. I don't know if it is cause my gloves aren't good enough or what. Just wanted to hear some tips. thanks

Use KY jelly!!:devil: :D JK!

QuadJunkies
08-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
Use KY jelly!!:devil: :D JK! :eek: :o LOL!!!!!

QuadJunkies
08-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Surprised I haven't seen one of the most important suggestion here, yet...

Wear gloves that fit.

By fit, I mean, well... Fit like a glove.

I sit at a computer all day long. My hands are not calloused at all. For the last year or two, the only riding I've been able to do is racing & I can't remember the last time I got a significant blister, even when I rode the 12hrs of America race last year.

I do however, have a couple sets of gloves I rotate thru and am very careful of the sizing & replace them when they get worn and/or stretched.

One of the most important thing you can do to prevent blisters is make sure your gloves fit TIGHT & don't have seams/sewing in places where they will rub.

Oh yeah, I've found over the years that some of my favorite gloves for comfort and durability are MSR - their good gloves, not the "rage" series... good point... I dont wear mine too tight becuase I have circulation probelms in my hands,so this could be some of my problems too I guess.I guess Ill have to just try a new pair of gloves and go from there......:)

Jeffksf
08-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Tight gloves are the ones that fit, like 86250r said. Loose gloves cause blisters. Another good tip is to put a sprinkle of baby powder in your gloves or in the palm of your hand, then slip your glove on.

250rmike
08-15-2003, 05:05 PM
i have pretty big hands so the only grips i can use comfortably are oury thankfully they are big enough for my hands soft to help prevent vibrations and blisters and still last a long time. i would try some tape and baby powder next time i get to ride cause i used to have calicces(sp) but i still got blisters underneath them

TCracin440ex
08-16-2003, 03:00 AM
ive got the ultimate suggestion to the blisters subject....it works......STOP BEING SUCH A DAMN PU*SY.....i mean come on your ridding quads not driving in a vehicle thats supposted to ride like a cadillac...if blisters is what you complain about then this will separate the men from the boys....after your hands get used to it then it wont bother you...i havnt read in any quad mag from no rider like Farr, Gust, Jones, Ellis and them guys say "well i woulda won a race today but my hands were blistering up...or my gloves were too loose...bottom line...stop being a pu*sy, this is the sport of racing/ridding....not sitting on your couch playin video games or flickin thru tv channels with the remote.....on that note....im goin to play atv off road fury 2...let me know what yall think of my suggestion:D

250rmike
08-16-2003, 05:34 AM
i agree but come on dont you get blisters while playing games and going through the channels on tv? those things are killer

86atc250r
08-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Most of us would like to prevent un-necessary injury & pain - but hey, if enduring un-necessary injury and pain make you appear more manly, by all means, go for it....

Maybe you should ride with one hand on the exhaust if you're needing a boost to your manly-ness - after your hands get calloused up from holding on to a 1200° exhaust pipe, it won't bother you a bit. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right? And besides, no one will call you a Pu*sy once they know you're holding on to that glowing red header pipe tight during a race (they may call you other things, but certainly not a Pu*sy)

As for me, I'll continue to make sure my gloves fit & finish races without blisters... I just feel for the guys in the pits at the end of the day who's hands look like hamburger while mine are just fine. :D

250rmike
08-17-2003, 04:04 AM
lol yea i with him

EXtreme
08-24-2003, 06:59 PM
let go :eek2:
lol

joedirt
08-25-2003, 01:55 PM
QUIT USN VASOLEEEEEEN. make a couple of dry runs.

joshyz125
09-11-2003, 05:18 PM
i use moose underwear gloves under my regular gloves with baby powder, i can ride all weekend and not get blisters.
makes a WORLD of differance.