PDA

View Full Version : will a billet shift lever make a noticeable difference?

duneittilludie
08-10-2003, 03:32 PM
my wife rides a 440 ex that she has been doing some sand drag racing with and she is having trouble with missed shifts ,has anyone switched to a billet shift lever and if so how did it work for you?

Sick0
08-10-2003, 03:40 PM
I bought the Roll design's stainless steel shifter and it made a big improvment in shifting. I don't really why it made as much of a diffrence as it did but I think the shifters was worth 65 dollars i spent on it. It's help me get better starts and probly help my lap times.

honda350r
08-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Does she where riding boots? If not the billet shiffters hurt your toes !

cals400ex
08-10-2003, 06:23 PM
certain shoes make a difference for me. i miss a lot of shifts with one pair on because of the way my shoe rests on the foot peg.

RytM1
08-11-2003, 02:59 AM
I've got the pro-design shifter, and it was a noticeable improvement. The stock one seemed to have some flex in it, and I noticed that it had even bent toward, and was rubbing on the case at one point. Went to reach for the shifter a couple of times, and it wasn't where I thought it was. I don't have that problem with the billet one.

mcmike
08-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Had an aluminum pro design, it stripped out in 6 months. Have you tried changing the position of the lever? I moved mine up, because I kept stepping on it during races and down shifting. It also gave me more room to get my boot under it.

Sick0
08-12-2003, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcmike
[B]Had an aluminum pro design, it stripped out in 6 months. Have you tried changing the position of the lever? ]

Thats why i went with roll design. its made out of stainless steal. It would be a lot hard to stripe out than the pro-design or othere aluminum shifters.

My stock one would bend towards the case also. I Think the stock shifter contribute to the blow second gear. I know form all of the misshifts I had and the gears grinding and finally wore out the dogs on the gears. Plus I think I lost alot of points last year with bads starts. I havn't had a problem with shifting since.

bmw500hp
08-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcmike
[B].
My stock one would bend towards the case also. I Think the stock shifter contribute to the blow second gear. I know form all of the misshifts I had and the gears grinding and finally wore out the dogs on the gears. Plus I think I lost alot of points last year with bads starts. I havn't had a problem with shifting since.
makes sense..never thought of it that way...:huh

08-13-2003, 02:17 AM
A billet shifter will help you not misshift as often. It helped me a bunch. My stocker would bend like a playdoh after 6 months of use. The billet shifters are expensive but they are a nice upgrade I think..