PDA

View Full Version : 440 kit

01-23-2002, 06:31 PM
wil a 440 kit effect my engine life

01-23-2002, 08:01 PM
my guess would be that since the 440 kit runs hotter that there is a greater chance of chopping some time off of your engine life. i am not positive of this its just a guess. but i think that you could just rebuild it once every few years and it would be fine.

Matt Fisher
01-23-2002, 09:00 PM
As a general rule, anytime you make more power, it decreases engine life. Likewise, the harder you ride, the shorter your engine/bike life. One could always ride a detuned 400EX like an 85 year old with bad vision; it'd probably last forever :rolleyes:

If you build an engine correctly, you can minimize the wear effects. Also, RPM's usually have a more detrimental effect on engine life than just making more power. If you built a mild 440 and didn't wind it out as much as a stocker, it might last just as long.

Since there's no hard or steadfast answer, I'd say make the power and have fun. It is a toy, after all.:)

oynot400
01-24-2002, 08:19 AM
It is in all how you take care of your machine. I know guys that have stock bikes and they can't make them run over a year. I have a 440 in mine and have had no trouble with it. Yes it does run warmer so I change the oil a little more often. I am think of getting a oil cooler kit from Four Stroke Tech to help out with that. If the engine was done right proper maintance you should have many years of enjoyment out of your machine. Plus you will love the power that the 440 puts out. :D

01-24-2002, 07:43 PM
thanks for the help. ill get one