PDA

View Full Version : What cams are best?

Geoff Thomas
08-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Well I'm thinking of doing some power up mods to the 400EX and want to put a cam in it. I am going to have the head ported and have the ports micorported. I will probably also put a hi compression piston in it but not sure if I'll bore it out yet. I also plan on a full exhaust system. I'm thinking an E series. And a K&N and open up the air box. What cams make the best power and what all is needed to install them such as heavier springs and hardend rockers? What brands should I stay away from? Also I would like it to make good power throught the power range and not be to peaky as it is the little ladys bike. I just want it to get her around the bigger dunes better and be more tollerable for power when I ride it after my 250R.

Chef
08-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Hey Geoff, this is Donnie. I've always used megacycle in my 400. I dont have any idea how to get one though. You need heavier springs and hardened rockers, as well. Fletch got them for us, so thats all I know. I can get ya his number if ya want though.

Evo8
08-10-2003, 02:31 AM
over sized cams are the best lol :cool:

Diedrich
08-10-2003, 06:45 AM
if u do the motor mods dont get an e-series..go with a sparks or lrd

Big - D Racing
08-10-2003, 07:22 AM
MEGACYCLE, get them through Duncan Racing

Giz400ex
08-10-2003, 11:05 AM
With most of these engine builders, eliminate the middleman and go right to Webcam. It is recommended to do the rockers and might as well do springs.

nakomis0
08-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Diedrich
if u do the motor mods dont get an e-series..go with a sparks or lrd

Actually the E-series is a good pipe for built motors. Its got alot of flow. Its also tunable and quieter than Sparks or LRD.

Geoff Thomas
08-11-2003, 04:10 AM
Hey Donnie what's up? I hear the races got canceled this weekend. Dad said you guys are headed for the dunes in a couple of weeks. How many days are you guys going down there? I'll have to check at work to see if we can get those cams. I know we can get hot cams and it seems like we can get the web cam but I don't remember for sure what the other brand is.

I'll replace the rockers for any cam I run. it is NOT a good idea to run used rockers not matter if they have 2 hours or 20 hours on them on a new cam. I just wanted to know what cams need hardend rockers and or new springs.

I like the E series because it sounds good and is quieter than some of the others. The noise restrictions are pretty bad at Florence so I don't want to be obviously overlimit.

On another note does anyone make oversized valves? I think I found an oversized intake but not exhaust.

K_Fulk
08-11-2003, 09:54 AM
If you do a search on hotcams you will see they have had some problems with them.

I have used a megacycle for the past 2 years and i have yet to have any problems with it. Its about the same as the webcam and the white bros track cam too.

Chef
08-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Geoff Thomas
Hey Donnie what's up? I hear the races got canceled this weekend. Dad said you guys are headed for the dunes in a couple of weeks. How many days are you guys going down there? I'll have to check at work to see if we can get those cams. I know we can get hot cams and it seems like we can get the web cam but I don't remember for sure what the other brand is.

On another note does anyone make oversized valves? I think I found an oversized intake but not exhaust.

Yep, Bellingham rained out, again. We have Castle Rock this weekend though, and its only been called once due to rain. All the guys that I race with are goin to the dunes on the 23rd. Me and Tara are goin for sure I think, but I dont know about mom and dad...

Yep, you can get oversize valves for both intake and exhaust. If worse comes to worse you could have some made, like mine are, but those are a bit spendy.:ermm: