View Full Version : 400ex Battery problem

BigBadJ-400ex
08-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Hi all, I got a question about my 99 400ex battery....here's the deal, It was starting fine until today. It's been sitting a couple weeks and I went out to ride today and (nothing) I can hear the starter solenoid click but that's all.( N light comes on bright) I checked and cleaned the terminals also checked the ground. I hooked the battery up to my charger and it shows good , after a few minutes on the charger it comes up as full...with the charger hooked up it starts fine...what's the deal? Any help will be appreciated.. Thanks J

Diedrich
08-09-2003, 05:45 PM
check the fuses man..if they're ok wiggle the positive wire around some and see if it helps any

TIGER72
08-09-2003, 05:50 PM
i just went throught the exact same problems with my 2000 model...i did everything you have done, and i checked the fuses and wiring...finally i said screw it and bought a new battery, and that sucker fired right up. :confused:

Bad Habit
08-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Mine has done this always. If I let it set for two weeks or more, the battery is dead. I put the charger on it for about 30 minutes and it fires right up and will continue to fire right up until it sets a couple weeks again. Maybe it's just giving me attitude cause I have neglected it and have not taken it out so it can stretch it's legs often enough.:D

BigBadJ-400ex
08-09-2003, 06:17 PM
@TIGER72. I dont mind buying a new batt, I just hope the problem don't return...Has your's been in the quad very long? Long enough to start dying out on you?

@yellow416ex. I was kinda thinking the same thing...I let it set up and it died out on me....But wouldnt it show up dead on the charger?I'll hook it up and after a few mins it will show full. It'll start once maybe twice, then nothing. p.s. my charger is a everstart starter 50 w/2 amp trickle charge... Maybe my charger sucks:D

Bad Habit
08-09-2003, 06:27 PM
I put mine on a 6amp quick charge. And yes, mine will fire up like yours after about 1 minute if I leave the charger hooked up and use it like a buck booster. (Even though that is a good way to ruin a charger)
Mine never shows a full charge when I hook it up for a few minutes. It shows some charge but never full. I've got an Everstart too (good ol' Wal-Mart):D

BTW, if you have an aftermarket CDI, that battery better be full when you try to crank it or it will peter out in no time.

Geoff Thomas
08-09-2003, 08:42 PM
You may have a bad bat. When you put it on the charger it showes good because it has a surface charge. Once you put a load on it it goes dead almost instantly. Also make sure the wires are tight. I don't mean check the bolts for tightness but actually see if you can move the wires. I have seen where the bolts are tight but to long so they won't clamp down on the wires tight. Also make sure they have good contact and it is a good idea to coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease. If you have an amp meter disconnect one of the battery terminals and hook it up in series with the battery terminal and cable. With the key off there should be no current flowing. If so you have a battery draw and it is draining your battery. A good battery should hold a charge longer than 2 weeks.

Also if you keep letting your battery run dead all the time it will go bad fast. That is the WORST thing you can do to a battery is let it go dead. If you are haveing problems with this you should get a battery tender. It will save you money in the long run. And alway get a quality battery. Interstate and Yuasa are the best. If you cheap out and buy a cheap battery you get what you pay for and will more than likely pay more in the long run.

RED121572
08-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Replace the rectifier. Mine went bad on me last summer.

TRX~RAT
08-10-2003, 03:28 PM
How about buying a screamer like a 2003 Bright Yellow 250ex! They look awesome from behind huh?:blah:

BigBadJ-400ex
08-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys, ..I went out and got a new batt, everything seems fine for now. I'm gonna go out and get a battery tender for the days I can't ride...
@TRX~RAT..WOW!, you got a 250ex W/ a jaws bumper!....I bet that's nice...... Every 14 year old girl should own one of those Quads........:rolleyes::D:D :D

Geoff Thomas
08-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Don't just throw a regulator at it. They are not cheap and it may not fix your problem. If the regulator is bad the battery will either go dead while rideing not while sitting, or it will severly overcharge and usually once it is way overcharged you will start hearing a whistleing sound comming from the battery and smell a sulfery smell.

TRX~RAT
08-11-2003, 05:23 AM
Yeah I know, But what good is it to have all of that power if you don't get it over 25-30 mph.?????? Ditch the skirt & use the thumb Bro'! Maybe we can have the Dragstrip back this weekend or I'll take you to the new track at Bent Brook Hills. That chrome K&n does look sweet. I bet it gets 0-30 Really Fast now.....