PDA

View Full Version : post a tip for installing cam and piston

cals400ex
08-07-2003, 09:15 PM
i am looking for any random tips, hints, tricks etc. for installing a piston or cam. also, whats this i hear about compression and decompressor release on the cam? that is totally confusing me. it will be on a new hotcam if that matters.

UglyMotha™
08-08-2003, 02:35 AM
the biggest and the only tip you'll ever need

GO BUY A MAINTENCE MANUAL :p

There now your set

YZROOSTINYA
08-08-2003, 03:20 AM
CLEAN YOUR QUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You DO NOT need the decompressor for the new Hotcam stage 1 OR 2. All you need is the cam sprocket and the two 6mm allen bolts.

Patience
a manual as previously stated
and all the parts your gonna put in.

f your running a XR400 head gasket it will give you about .3 more compression.

dont go above 10.5-11:1 or you will have to run race gas.

I am at 10.8:1 and I have to mix 1 gallon race to 4 gallons 93 in the summer.

dariusld
08-08-2003, 06:13 AM
Another tip when doing your cam, is lean your quad on two wheels (lift the gas knob side) for a couple of minutes. If you don't do this alot of oil leaks out of the head cover when you remove it. The left side of the head(sitting on quad) has a spot where the oil puddles. So even when you drain your oil its still up there. This is also a good tip to get more oil out when doing an oil change.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next, look on the rear-right of the head, for a hex nut. This is the tensioner. Remove that bolt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my quad this nut is actually a screw. And its very tight. So make sure you take out the screw before you take off the tensioner, to make it easier to get the screw off.

bmw500hp
08-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Try to find a bud who's been through the process before and invite em to hang out while your doing the build.

Buy the beer, invite hot women, toss em $50.00 or whatever it takes. The right person can give you tons of tricks and tips and ya still get the pride of self accomplishment. :D

carlj75
08-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Make sure that you remove the plunger and spring from the top of the head. You don't need it with a HotCam.

TheX1992
08-08-2003, 05:40 PM
use assembly lube/coat in oil for the piston

hondafox440
08-08-2003, 06:04 PM
The decompression mechanism is not necesary. I dont have it in the 440. But make sure if you are going to remove it, remove the entire assembly, not just the pin that activates it.

Make sure the circlips are seated right in the piston. They will make a satisfying "click" when they are in place.

Make sure you dont snag a ring when reinstalling the cylinder. This will case the piston to go in crooked, and can crack the lower part of the sleeve. You shouldnt have tol force the jug down, a light amount of pressure and it should side down easily.

cals400ex
08-09-2003, 12:02 PM
when you say plunger and spring, are you talking about the decompressor? i will be getting a manual but just didn't get to that yet.

carlj75
08-09-2003, 01:04 PM
No, there is a little metal pin sticking out of the head when you take the cover off. Underneath the pin (plunger) there is a little spring. It's hard to explain, but you will see it if you follow the manual.

NTPRacing#19
08-10-2003, 01:35 PM
make sure when starting it and letting it run for the first time that you do not let it just sit there and idle. hit the throttle just a little bit to keep that oil pumping up to the valves and cam! the problems that you will come across most often happen when you just start the motor for the first few minutes. it will not hurt the motor to rev it a little bit like 1/4 throttle.