PDA

View Full Version : bent valves?

djmac
08-07-2003, 04:49 PM
i just took my top end off my 350x and found that the 2 exhaust valves are stuck open. there is no damage to the piston but i quess the piston must have clipped the valves and bent them. i have no idea why though. i the connecting rod bearing seems ok. the compression release has the cable disconnected. could that have rotated around wrong and held the valves open so they got slapped by the piston? i just replaced the clutch. could i have done something wrong when replacing the clutch. the valve timing is fine as well .............well took the valves out of the head expecting to find them bent. they were stubborn and i had to pull and twist to get them thru the guides. next i put them in a drill to see how much they were bent and surprise there not! and once i got them out they slide back in and move great! whats the deal???????????any ideas would be appreciated .

Castor-426ex
08-07-2003, 07:14 PM
how does the rest of the valve train look? the vavle spring retainers might have failed but its "iffy"

take some pics

jerry-89-250R
08-08-2003, 01:47 AM
i just re-built a 86 350 4x4 with the same problem it jumped time, timing chain was shot

djmac
08-08-2003, 04:49 PM
bump