PDA

View Full Version : need feedback on mods i am about to make on my 2001 300ex

cain73
08-07-2003, 04:44 PM
OK lots of questions for you veterans out there. I am looking for more out of my 300ex as my friends '89 250 leaves me in the dust. I am going to add a pipe, jet kit, fast trekker tires, and uni air filter.
what is the best and most economical pipe that will give me the desired results?
same for the jet kit, and which do I need stage 1 or 2?
with the tires I was thinking about going down to 20's - any feedback for that?
I was going to go with the K&N but heard in Florida it's too dusty and the KN lets in too much. Is this true? And will I need to put in any extra air holes in my box?
will I need to / or should I change my sprockets with these mods to make it perform better.
Any info you guys give is greatly appreciated as I am new to the sport and really looking forward to getting more out of my quad.

300exOH
08-07-2003, 05:23 PM
From what I've seen the 300 responds really well to just about any pipe. As for the jets it all depends on your pipe. The only problem with the 20's is ground clearance. I have both 20's and 22's and I switch depending on where I ride. I like the 20's for acceleration. The same can be acheived with gearing and 22's. I would stick with a UNI if you ride in dust and sand. I don't think the holes in the airbox are worth the lack of protection. I hope this helps. Welcome to the most addictive sport around.:D

sprtrx300ex
08-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Don't get a K&N. They let in way too much dust. Id get a UNI. As for a pipe, I'd reccomend white bros e-series. It has great power good sound and can be adjusted.

sweet300ex
08-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
Don't get a K&N. They let in way too much dust. Id get a UNI. As for a pipe, I'd reccomend white bros e-series. It has great power good sound and can be adjusted.
word

deathman53
08-08-2003, 02:00 PM
also get a 350x intake tube(carb-airbox), It fits the 300ex and is tube is bigger, so it lets more air into the carb. new they cost about $50. alot of people use the carb from a 400ex also.

ZSK
08-08-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm suprised no one has said it already, but I don't think you will be able to beat an R. I pulled the airbox lid and re-jetted, added a lot of power, no lie the wheels will come up in 4th.

Chanman420q
08-08-2003, 04:03 PM
actually guys a K&N is made for dusty conditions, and a UNI is for wet conditions.

Diedrich
08-08-2003, 06:50 PM
pipe- sparks,lrd, or dmc..white bros are ok but everyone has them
get a stage 2 kit
k&n with an outerwear
take the air box lid off
fast trekkers are great tires for the trails

bradley300
08-09-2003, 10:10 AM
pro circut is a great pipe

white brothers or uni filter

the whole bike works better with 20 inch tires

300exOH is right, dont do the holes in the lid

yes a 300ex can be made to beat an r, but which 250 do you mean, r or x?

GThunder is building me a custom 350 big bore right now, he also has great prices, so you might want to talk to them if you really crave power.

and go up 1 tooth on the front sprocket(with 20 inch tires)

kabd69667
08-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by sweet300ex
word

you better hope the hard arse clan doesnt' see this...

Braff1
08-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Yes the 300 likes about any pipe but to me the true difference is seen when you replace that narrow head pipe with a aftermarket headpipe. The one I have on mine is about twice the diameter as the stocker. 20 inch vs 22 well most 400's run 20's and don't have much trouble with clearance. If you plan on racing xc and the coarse is muddy then I would consider the 22's to get through the mud pits.

Dan

AtvMxRider
08-09-2003, 11:34 AM
All this crap about K&N's letting in more dirt is just that crap. A properly oil filter is not going to let dirt in. The oil is what traps the dirt not the filter.

Braff1
08-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
All this crap about K&N's letting in more dirt is just that crap. A properly oil filter is not going to let dirt in. The oil is what traps the dirt not the filter.

If you run a pre filter like Outerwears it provides just as good filtration as any other filter out there on the market. Just be sure to clean it on a regular basis.

WEEZIL
08-09-2003, 04:19 PM
yeah man go with the white brothers E-series they are an excelent pipe! uni filters are awesome too. as far as tires i suggest maxxis all-tracs i have them on my 300 they look good and grip even better! let me know how you liked your E-Series because i will be updating my pipe in a few months to one so when you get it please pm me and let me know how ya like :scary: :scary:

cain73
08-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the input, I will take it in consideration.
About my friends 250, I have no idea what it is R or X , but he has it piped and jetted and leaves me cold. I don't have to be faster than him but....... it sure would be nice. If nothing else I want to keep up. Thanks again.

bradley300
08-10-2003, 03:25 AM
the x is identical looking to your bike, the r is a 2 cycle

phatswinn
08-10-2003, 04:35 AM
i got some tips for you too,

any pipe will be good , exept dg and cobra, without many engine mods you wont need any more flow from an exhaust than a white bros (thats what i use) AND MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE FULL SYSTEM the 300ex headpipe is not very free flowing at all

as for the jet kit, i just changed the main to one size up, leave the pilot and put the clip on the needle one slot down

i run a k&n with no outerwear (i hate them) so i put a big hole in my lid and stapled the outerwear over it then use silicone to keep it from moving anymore

and i run 14/36 gearing and i love it, theres still no use for 1st gear but you keep up with the bigger bikes much easier

just my 2 cents but all my friends think mine is the fastest 300ex around (and theres some highly modded ones around

tuning the carb exactly right is the key!

cain73
08-11-2003, 04:50 AM
I tried to take apart the carb but there are two screws on the side (holding on the cover where the cable goes through) that won't budge even with penetrating oil. any suggestions other than drilling and tapping?
as for my friend's bike it is an r then. 2 stroke and fast.

back to the carb..... i have another prob besides the screws.... there are 2 hoses coming off it (overflow and ?) one is no prob but the one that is near the bottom of the bowl leaks any time the gas is on. what is this hose for and how do i stop it from leaking? I have it capped with a screw for now but i want to find out what the prob is. any one familiar with this please help

dirtmomma
08-11-2003, 04:57 AM
Well I didn't read the whole thread but I run a FMF Megamax full system, w/ a DynaJet stage 2 kit & a K&N filter w/ no air box lid, also have 18" tamers on the rear w/ one tooth bigger front sprocket than stock & over the weekend didn't have any trouble keeping up w/ the people I was w/ on 400's!! would of been nice to have a taller tire for the nasty trails lots of whooops & huge rocks but it was the 1st real trail ride I took it on since I got it it was a good time

300EXrider02
08-11-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider

I was waiting for someone to say this

everyone think K&N will let crap in, they both protect the same, just get a outerwear with it and then cut holes in the lid, a filter is supposed to get dirty, might as well get the power out of it when you get it, uni is great to, but K&N will flow better