PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is the right thing to do?

Ryan
08-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Well as of a week ago, I found my Cat with a baby Bat in his mouth. At first I thought "No big deal" Until I relized Bats are one of main carriers of Rabies.
We called up the Vet, asking numerous questions (hoping my cat does not have Rabies). They told us to keep the Bat and bring it in where they will ship it out somewhere to get it tested for Rabies. We did, and yesterday they called.......
I found out the Bat was to far decayed to be tested for Rabies. They didn't get any actual readings of the Bat having Rabies or not. This means the cat must be put to sleep immediately or be put in a cage to 2 weeks- 6 months, for any signs of Rabies. The Board Of Health is not willing to take any risks with a Cat that might possibly have Rabies.
My Cat is about 4 years old. I just feel terrible that we have to put him to sleep........ It might not even have Rabies. We tried to bring it to the vet today but the Cat would not budge and scratched the chit outta us. We just let him outside and were going to deal with it tomorrow.

Im curious, what are your guys/gals opinions on this? Is this really the right thing to do?

Thanks.

blondie69
08-07-2003, 12:55 PM
omg! thats no good! its not fair to put it down...but then its not fair to keep it caged up for 2weeks - 6 months:( I don't know what to tell u....

but thats a sin! I'm so sorry to hear that!:(

hessianmx111
08-07-2003, 01:00 PM
id rather be in a cage for 2weeks to 6 months than dead. so to answer your question id just put him in the cage and see what they can do.:(

Pappy
08-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by hessianmx111
id rather be in a cage for 2weeks to 6 months than dead. so to answer your question id just put him in the cage and see what they can do.:(

yeah it will be ok;)

blondie69
08-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by hessianmx111

puttin the kitty in a cage would be the best thing to do if u want it alive...but put yourself in its shoes...er...paws..watever...if u were crammed in a lil tiny cage just big enough for u to maybe move a lil tiny bit....imagine when u got out how cold hearted and bitter u would be towards ppls:eek2: but then again...thats better then death:confused2 i think..

trueblue450
08-07-2003, 01:41 PM
a cat with rabies scratched you..

:eek: :eek:

wilkin250r
08-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Ok, I know when dogs get rabies, they get violent. If your cat got mad and scratched you... :(

DEAL
08-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Meh it could be worse.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67536&highlight=Snake

honda400exrider
08-07-2003, 02:01 PM
If you really like the cat, keep it, if you dont... well... let him.... dieee! haha jk but if you where to cage him just like get a pretty big cage or something and just talk to him and stuff to keep him friendly. If I had a problem with a cat scratching me, id put it... throw it down dead:devil:

toby400ex
08-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Theres no reason it has to be a small cage does it?:confused:

CowsBitePeople
08-07-2003, 03:19 PM
id get a nice sized cage for it :(

Ryan
08-08-2003, 04:37 AM
Thanks for all the input.

We still havn't put the cat to sleep. We have done some research on bats and only a half-to-one percent of bats carry Rabies.

We are still not sure what we are going to do. We might lie to the Board Of Health and just keep the Cat at home. If we do this, we are putting ourselves in dangered. Let alone anything else it attacks outside the house.

We have to make a decision by today or tomorrow.

sly400ex
08-08-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by blondie69
puttin the kitty in a cage would be the best thing to do if u want it alive...but put yourself in its shoes...er...paws..watever...if u were crammed in a lil tiny cage just big enough for u to maybe move a lil tiny bit....imagine when u got out how cold hearted and bitter u would be towards ppls:eek2: but then again...thats better then death:confused2 i think..

HAhaha...very well said and funny!! Seriously though, do you have a room or something you can keep it locked up in? We had a cat room, that was priddy big, made out of plexiglass and plywood.....we put toys and a bed in there for him too. Wasn't to expensive.....

08-08-2003, 06:14 AM
dude...you need to ****ing stop..your cat doesnt have rabies...do you know the chances of him getting rabies are like 1/100??? U need to tel the animal clinic you will put him in a cage at home & dont...just let him be free & if you see him acting weird then put him in a ****ing cage & take him to the vet to do whatever. jesus ****ing christ

MOUSE
08-08-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
dude...you need to ****ing stop..your cat doesnt have rabies...do you know the chances of him getting rabies are like 1/100??? U need to tel the animal clinic you will put him in a cage at home & dont...just let him be free & if you see him acting weird then put him in a ****ing cage & take him to the vet to do whatever. jesus ****ing christ

Dude calm down dont jump down his throat hes jus asking for some help.

As far as im conserned if it was my cat i would probably go for the cage thing and just keep an eye on him. If he starts showing any sighns then you know what you have to do. I hope you the best.

RedRider300
08-08-2003, 06:35 AM
You'd better be careful, if your cat scratched you. If he does have rabies, then you and your family has to go get shots. My boyfriend's dog got attacked by a rabid raccoon, and his whole family and I had to get shots just because we came in contant with the dog. Trust me, It's not fun going thru 10 shots.

Bretmd94
08-08-2003, 06:43 AM
I dont think you have much to worry about. Did he catch the bat in the daytime? If the bat was out in the day thats a good sign it could have rabies.

But otherwise there is a very small cahnce taht you cat has rabies. My one cat has killed and eaten about 20 bats that i know of in her life. Dont cage the poor cat. And for gods sake dont put it to sleep. Theres very little chance your cat has rabies. :rolleyes:

XANDADA
08-08-2003, 06:58 AM
Your Vet is taking you for a ride! Let me guess they want the cat for those couple weeks for "observation" - no they want your $ and shame on them. My old cat used to eat bats, snakes, bugs, mice, rabbits, moles what ever the heck would fit in its mouth it ate. Seriously I bet it ate at least 3 bats a year that we saw, who knows how many that we didn't. Fogettaboutit! That's what cats do, eat anything they can catch. Seriously though it won't harm it a bit! Don't even put it in a cage either....

Ryan
08-08-2003, 07:18 AM
Yeah, im definitly not going to keep it in a cage. That is torcher to the animal (IMO).

Our vet in town is actually trying to help us keep the Cat. The main problem is the Board Of Health. We could be fined if we don't put it to sleep :rolleyes: . Which is rediculous.

Redrider300, I know all about the shots. My sister had a scare with Rabies and had to undergo all the shots. She told me it sucked!

Mouse, thanks for the input. The problem is convincing my mom. Im trying though.

Crazy400exman, Go make an ******* out of yourself somewhere else. I did have done nothing :rolleyes: .

Edit, I forgot to mention, my cat has not been vaccinated for over three years.

cody anderson
08-08-2003, 08:37 AM
CAGE IT DUDE...

sickmojave
08-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
Edit, I forgot to mention, my cat has not been vaccinated for over three years.

well now whos fault is that :mad: sounds like you didn't care for the last three years ,why start now? :grr:

Ryan
08-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Wasn't my fault. My dad didn't feel like doing it, so he skipped it. If it was my way, I would have kept up to date.

TheRedRebel17
08-08-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by cody anderson
CAGE IT DUDE...

From the sound of it you need to ^

Bretmd94
08-08-2003, 10:22 AM
i will bet 20$ that it doesnt have rabies. :macho

-=Skot=-
08-08-2003, 05:55 PM
can't a sample of blood from the cat be tested?