PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler

northeast400
08-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Anyone know of a bigger replacment oil cooler. I do not want to drill into the motor and run an FST cooler. I don't mind running new lines from the stock location. Any ideas?

Castor-426ex
08-07-2003, 07:23 PM
sometimes ebay has a few....

but on the other hand....the people that have the fst cooler that I know like it...and the drilling is to the rocker cover I thought...i could be wrong...and is pretty much straight forward...but again dont quote me on this...and that way the oil is coming straight from the cooler and onto the cam and valvetrain....

the difference probably isnt much without the tapped line to the head...

but def give ebay a shot

northeast400
08-08-2003, 03:22 AM
who makes it

F-16Guy
08-08-2003, 04:58 AM
In addition to the rocker cover, you also have to drill into the oil galley in the clutch cover. This requires removal of the clutch cover in order to ensure that it's drilled properly and that all debris is removed. You also need to plug the original oil passage. This can be done when the rocker cover is removed by tapping the old passage and installing a set screw with some loc-tite. It sounds like a lot of work, but it doesn't really take that long, and the benefits are very noticeable. when I hooked up my cooler (ProFab installed the fittings when they did the 416 kit), I connected the hose from the cooler to the rocker cover and tightened the clamps. Then I connected the hose to the other side of the cooler, but before I connected it to the fitting on the clutch cover, I pumped a quart of oil through the cooler into the top end to purge any air from the cooler and lines and ensure that the cam would get oil right away on start-up. It's a good investment of time and money, if you ask me.

bmw500hp
08-08-2003, 09:28 AM
If you do not wish to use a FST type, Dirtmods98@aol.com makes a bigger one to replace your stock.

northeast400
08-08-2003, 10:36 AM
anyone ever use an old air cooled XR650 cooler? it seems bigger