PDA

View Full Version : do I need a lawyer?

zephead400ex
08-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Do I? Last week at the Linkin Park/Mudvayne concert, my gf and I got MIP's. Ya it sucks but oh well...anyway, it is our first offense so I will probably be able to get a diversion b/c it is in Wichita, KS. and they have a lot more to worry about other than first time offenders with something petty like an MIP!(...this is what I was told my a police officer that works for WPD.) IF and/or when I go to court I am going to plead guilty and ask for a diversion which will probably only consist of a fine and possibly a short probation period. Do you think I will need a lawyer or just handle it by myself?

thanks

peace

Pappy
08-07-2003, 10:13 AM
mip:confused: wtf:devil:

monkeyboy
08-07-2003, 10:17 AM
howw wuzz da concrt:confused:

we taaght wee hadd da mips 2 butt it wass onn leee da chiigerz:ermm:

MOFO
08-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Its amazing how three unknown letters can make everything seem.. :confused:

What is MIP?

I know if someone told me I was guilty of a three letter abbreviation, I'd probably call a lawyer. :eek:

RIjon
08-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
mip:confused: wtf:devil:

400exTN
08-07-2003, 10:22 AM
You know M.I.P.

Masturbation In Public

:eek2:

02Yellow400
08-07-2003, 10:23 AM
You got caught Masterbating In Public?

sickmojave
08-07-2003, 10:24 AM
minor in possesion???:confused: that's my guess

monkeyboy
Originally posted by 400exTN

Masturbation In Public

:eek2:

wat duzz dat meeen:confused:

Pappy
oh my:eek: it has to be something different:confused2

Ben
08-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 02Yellow400
You got caught Masterbating In Public?

:scary: :confused:

RIjon
08-07-2003, 10:25 AM
ROFLMAO

JabberJaw
08-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
wat duzz dat meeen:confused:

It means... he was rubbing a little Johnson & Johnson on his johnson!

zephead400ex
08-07-2003, 10:29 AM
haha! Minor in Posession!

BTW: concert was kick ***!

JabberJaw
08-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex

Let's just hope his 'court date' is not!

sickmojave
08-07-2003, 10:31 AM
haha! Minor in Posession!

in possesion of what? :eek:

Ben
08-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I'd call a lawyer...

Pappy
08-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Minor in Posession!

minor:ermm: atleast ya could have lied....the rest of us men do:devil:

youll probly be ok.....hire ben and see just how much trouble you can get in:devil:

Ben
08-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
minor:ermm: atleast ya could have lied....the rest of us men do:devil:

youll probly be ok.....hire ben and see just how much trouble you can get in:devil:

:eek: :blah: We can sue the city for harassment :scary:

zephead400ex
08-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Yeah, I'd call a lawyer...

Can I call you? lol! I have never had to have a lawyer before, what kind of info do they need? What kind other pertinant info do I need to know?

It was posession of alcohol...fortunatly:blah:

Ben
08-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Can I call you? lol! I have never had to have a lawyer before, what kind of info do they need? What kind other pertinant info do I need to know?

It was posession of alcohol...fortunatly:blah:

If it was possession of drugs it wouldn't matter if you were a minor! :D

I doubt the penalties are harsh for such a crime, but having anything on your record isn't good for your future. Hiring a lawyer gives you the benefit of someone who deals with these things every day and can tell you what to expect at your hearing, what the maximum penalties are, etc. He might even be able to talk to the court and get the penalty lessened, etc. There are lawyers in your home town that specialize in minor criminal work, as well as juvenile case work such as this...

Doibugu2
08-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Ben
If it was possession of drugs it wouldn't matter if you were a minor! :D

I doubt the penalties are harsh for such a crime, but having anything on your record isn't good for your future. Hiring a lawyer gives you the benefit of someone who deals with these things every day and can tell you what to expect at your hearing, what the maximum penalties are, etc. He might even be able to talk to the court and get the penalty lessened, etc. There are lawyers in your home town that specialize in minor criminal work, as well as juvenile case work such as this...

So in other words, it's not a big enough case for you to take on?

Ben
08-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
So in other words, it's not a big enough case for you to take on?

LMAO!! :D I am not licensed to practice in Kansas so I couldn't help him out :( If you were in WV I'd be glad to help. Anyways, I've still got one last year of law school before I can practice law ;)

zephead400ex
08-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Well from what I was told by the officers if I am able to get a diversion I will have to pay a fine which will wipe my record clean. Sedgwick County (where this took place) has a long waiting period for anything to come through the courts. It will be 7-8 months before I receive a supponea to court, if I do receive an suppenea. One of my friends got a DUI in the same county but never receive anything to go to court. They have a lot of stuff that gets thrown out due to the large volume of cases they handle.

JW: how much will this lawyer cost me? any ideas?

Ben
08-07-2003, 10:53 AM
I don't doubt you can get it wiped off your record since it is your first offense and it is a relatively minor crime. Talking to a lawyer would give you the peace of mind to know that you are following all the right steps in order to get the matter taken care of. Cost - a couple hundred I would imagine....

zephead400ex
08-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the advice Ben...I figured it would be a couple hundred $ for a lawyer!:mad: Well, I guess I will wait for the mail to come in about 8 months! Hopefully I will not receive anything, but with my luck, it will be here in 4! haha! later

Guess I will have to wait for another month to drink in public...I turn 21 on Sept 6.

peace

trueblue450
08-07-2003, 11:10 AM
pay 500$ bucks for a lawyer and a 200$ fine.. F*** that..

just plead guilty.. pay for the ticket and it will wipe off your record when your 21 anyways.. if you are under 18.

THATS WHAT I DID AND LOOK AT ME!!! :scary: :o

bansheeguy77
08-07-2003, 01:16 PM
i will be your lawyer for 50 bucks :cool: ive handled cases like this before....

JOEX
08-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
It means... he was rubbing a little Johnson & Johnson on his johnson!
Sounds like he's keeping it in the family!:devil:

Originally posted by JabberJaw
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's just hope his 'court date' is not!
LOL!

zephead400ex
08-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Sounds like he's keeping it in the family!:devil:
LOL!

hey, I am just using it, not abusing it! haha jp!

08-07-2003, 04:08 PM
my buddies got that it was like a 150 dollar fine

08-07-2003, 05:36 PM
say I was in a car crash & I hit her from behind going very slow. then, I get out to see if the lady was okay & look at the damage, she tells me "you should watch where your going" & gets back in car & pulls into parking lot. I keep going not knowing what is going on? is this classified as a hit & run (Ben)? Thanks for the help

PHIL_B54
08-07-2003, 05:48 PM
when i got my mip i was 18 , but some of the people there were 17 so they went to juvie court and had to take aa classes. i got like a $120 fine, my name in the paper, and i couldnt go to any extra curicular activity for 30 days at school. i was still class pres. and valivictorian(sp?) of the class of 2000.

there was 16 of us and we all went to see the judge at the same time, he gave us the small end of the fine, but he assured us that if he saw us again we would see the county jail. i wouldnt worry about it.

hondafox440
08-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by PHIL_B54
when i got my mip i was 18 , but some of the people there were 17 so they went to juvie court and had to take aa classes. i got like a $120 fine, my name in the paper, and i couldnt go to any extra curicular activity for 30 days at school. i was still class pres. and valivictorian(sp?) of the class of 2000.

there was 16 of us and we all went to see the judge at the same time, he gave us the small end of the fine, but he assured us that if he saw us again we would see the county jail. i wouldnt worry about it.

Must be quite a school if the valedictorian gets a MIP, and can't even spell valedictorian.. :rolleyes:

popo
08-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Let me give you some free legal advice.

Talk with the prosecuting attorney, ask if you can enter into a bond forfeiture. It’s not an admittance of quilt, simply an arrangement between you and the court system to stay out of trouble for a year and to pay the court costs. You can request to have your MIP removed off your record after a year.

Hiring an attorney is not going to get you out of the MIP charge, unless you want to spend the extra $$$ to fight it.

Good Luck.

popo
08-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
say I was in a car crash & I hit her from behind going very slow. then, I get out to see if the lady was okay & look at the damage, she tells me "you should watch where your going" & gets back in car & pulls into parking lot. I keep going not knowing what is going on? is this classified as a hit & run (Ben)? Thanks for the help \

YES, it is classified as hit and run.

08-07-2003, 07:31 PM
thanks popo :)

08-07-2003, 07:52 PM
hey popo lets say sumone 16 did a hit and run, and they didnt relize they did. would there be an easier way for them to get off?

JUSTINcredible
08-07-2003, 08:16 PM
jeez, i got a minor consumtion a few weeks ago and all i got was a $73 dollar tocket and a the next day a cop called my house and talkke to my parents about it...... the parents were harder to deal with than the ticket

popo
08-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by member
hey popo lets say sumone 16 did a hit and run, and they didnt relize they did. would there be an easier way for them to get off?

How could you hit something and not know about it.

You are going to need a lawyer

popo
08-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by MNmxblaster37
jeez, i got a minor consumtion a few weeks ago and all i got was a $73 dollar tocket and a the next day a cop called my house and talkke to my parents about it...... the parents were harder to deal with than the ticket

Well according to your spelling your still intoxicated!

08-08-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by popo
Well according to your spelling your still intoxicated!

Woo Hooo I"m not the only one this morning...:tired:

jcv400ex
08-08-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Ben
If you were in WV I'd be glad to help. Anyways, I've still got one last year of law school before I can practice law ;)

NO! If he was in WV......the cop would have asked him for a beer! :eek: And told him to make sure to have his sister home right after the concert!

I don't think it'd be worth keeping off of your record to pay for a lawyer. It's going to be a hefty bill.

08-08-2003, 03:00 AM
but didnt they flee the scene??? like maybe they were drunk or didnt have a license?

zephead400ex
08-08-2003, 03:19 AM
Let me give you some free legal advice.

Talk with the prosecuting attorney, ask if you can enter into a bond forfeiture. It’s not an admittance of quilt, simply an arrangement between you and the court system to stay out of trouble for a year and to pay the court costs. You can request to have your MIP removed off your record after a year.

Hiring an attorney is not going to get you out of the MIP charge, unless you want to spend the extra $$$ to fight it.

Good Luck.

Whoa...were else are you going to get free legal advie?haha Thanks Popo. I have no intention of fighting the charge:ermm: I think I can handle this in court, if it goes to court:blah:

Originally posted by MNmxblaster37

I wish the cop would have gave me a ticket right then, I would have paid it, maybe even gave the cop a tip...jp! The cops called all the parents of the underage persons, my gf is 17:eek2: . Her cousin and his friend were there too, all underage. My gf's parents were pissed, but they let us drink around them without saying anything, this time we just got caught! Good luck with the parents!

peace

JTRtrx250r
08-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
say I was in a car crash & I hit her from behind going very slow. then, I get out to see if the lady was okay & look at the damage, she tells me "you should watch where your going" & gets back in car & pulls into parking lot. I keep going not knowing what is going on? is this classified as a hit & run (Ben)? Thanks for the help lmao.....are you serious???Im nothing close to a popo but it seems to me you'd be whipped-on for "just kept on goin not knowing whats going on" haha.....good luck dude:D :rolleyes: :D

roostin_dale
08-08-2003, 04:28 AM
My friends and i got cought with it and they got 5 months probation...drunk as hell..haha. I left out the back door and they didn't know i was there. I couldn't get in trouble because i was on probation at the time:ermm:

bansheeguy77
08-08-2003, 04:54 AM

YES, it is classified as hit and run.

seriously? lmao so i can sue a 4th grade teacher cause she backed into me, we both looked at the cars they were ok so we left?

08-08-2003, 05:03 AM
if she didnt call the cops its not a hit and run

08-08-2003, 05:34 AM
well im confused..im just gonna see what happnes...thanks for the help everyone...especially popo...:huh

SGA
08-08-2003, 05:49 AM
My gf's parents were pissed, but they let us drink around them without saying anything, this time we just got caught!

:confused2 How could they be pissed, If they let you drink around them?

sly400ex
08-08-2003, 05:54 AM
Try coming up with 2-10K for a lawyer depending on how things go.........:(

sly400ex
08-08-2003, 05:55 AM
Oh yeah....a 250R and 400EX may be up for sale soon.....:(

zephead400ex
08-08-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by SGA
:confused2 How could they be pissed, If they let you drink around them?

Exactly! They are cool now, but they damn they were pissed! We weren't doing anything different then if they were there, we just got caught!