PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in Craptors PLEASE HELP

RUFIO
08-07-2003, 08:43 AM
My neighboors bought 2003 Raptors....and they have no idea how to work them :huh. So i've been clueing them in on somethings. But i do not know the correct way of breaking in a new quad b.c i usualy deal with used ones. So any method would be appriciated

RAPTORAZ
08-07-2003, 02:55 PM
The most common way is to let them heat cycle a few times(let them idle for ten minutes and then let them completely cool down. Repeat). And then ride them easily, varying the throttle for 1-2 full tank's. Then let 'em rip.

Houser Cannondale
08-07-2003, 04:39 PM
dont lit it sit and idle. make sure you ride it just dont romp on it to hard. ride it for 10 min like he ^ said then let it cool down for a couple times. if you let it idle that wont seat the piston rings at all. you have to put pressure on the piston rings to make them seat into the new cylinder. the only way you can do that is ride the bike.

NTPRacing#19
08-08-2003, 11:41 AM
yes listen to houser cdale. you should never let them idle. always whack the throttle to keep the oil pumping and flowing to the valves and cam. when you start up a new quad or motor your problems will most likely occur when you just start them and oil doesnt get to the over head cams and valves and such.

i just rebuilt my motor and i putted around whacking the throttle no more than half and then once i had about 30 mins on the motor i took it riding and i didnt really take it easy. you dont need to spend too much time breaking the motors in.

ewalker302
08-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Ive always read that you should start by riding for a little while giving it no more than 1/4 throttle but varying the throttle a lot.

Then do the same thing up to 1/2 throttle 3/4 etc.
About 30 min - 1 hour riding time for each.
But 4 sure dont let it sit there & idle.

This is what my clymers manual says to do to break in the 400ex also.

:bandit:

Houser Cannondale
08-09-2003, 06:48 PM
well any known break-in method would really work i guess. just personal preference; ride it easy or run the crap outta it. just as long as you dont leave it idle for a long period of time your fine. ;)

08-09-2003, 06:52 PM
DONT LET IT IDLE & youll be okay