PDA

View Full Version : Stopped Smoking?

spliffy
08-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Who here has quit smoking cigarettes & how did you stop... I just found out that I'm going To be a dad :D & my wife would like it if I could quit.. I have tried the patch, gum & cold turkey...no luck.... I am going to try again here soon & would like some other ideas.. :scary:

08-07-2003, 08:19 AM
first just start cutting down majorly, then while your smoking think of how bad it is think of the smoke entering your lungs and picture it in there. and the taste ugh. think of all that and how bad it smells. think of your kids health and second hand smoke. just some ideas.:D :( :)

sickmojave
08-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Good Luck. I feel your pain I need to quit too:(

MOFO
08-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Here's my smoking story. I started when I was around 16 or so.... smoked pretty good till I was 22 and started my current job. This job does not hire smokers (long story)...anyways, I basically quit, cold turkey during work hours. I would still smoke after work.....(ie bars and out with friends). Then I met my current g/f (fiance) and she hates cig smoke (nurse), so I dont smoke around her either...

Now my smoking is limited to when i am drunk off my arse and thats it. I do have an occasional cigar every once and awhile when I'm drinkin booze.

p@iNn3ck
08-07-2003, 08:23 AM
I just quit chewing a little over a month ago..... all it took was a second kid, the wife constantly nagging, 12-15 suckers per day, 2 packs of gum a day, and I get to put $3.50 a day towards new shocks!

blondie69
08-07-2003, 08:24 AM
seein as i never smoked i can't really help much:ermm:
but just try your best to fight off the cravings. and jus think...u don't want that chit goin into your new born childs lungs...cuz it could really hurt em...bad. so i dunno what else to say

but congrats on being a daddy!:D

MOFO
08-07-2003, 08:24 AM
I've got a sick trick to show you how much crap your lungs hold in when you smoke.

Take two napkins that are the same. Suck smoke into your mouth (do not inhale), then blow it through the napkin... you will see a sick black/brown color on it.

Next, inhale your smoke, then blow through the napkin.... you'll hardly see any residue.... where did it go you ask? Your lungs absorbed it... :eek:

blondie69
08-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Take two napkins that are the same. Suck smoke into your mouth (do not inhale), then blow it through the napkin... you will see a sick black/brown color on it.

eeeeeeeeeww:eek2:

Bean
08-07-2003, 08:29 AM
my friend showed me that MOFO, only he used a sponge like thing from a ring box, here is what i would try spliffy

say you smoke kools, well try one pack less a week, then move to marbol reds, then move down to lights, that way you slowly wean yourself off of them, 75% of people cant just go from a powerfull good ciggerette like kools and such to nothing in a day, your body cant take that, instead move slowly and the cravings will be easier to defeat because you get used to a weaker smoke

stiffy
08-07-2003, 08:34 AM
Would you be able to smoke the napkin??? Just kidding the first time I quite I did it cold turkey and that worked for about a year then I started again. I figure when I get pregnant I'll quit.

300exOH
08-07-2003, 08:44 AM
pneumonia(sp) works well. that's what made me quit. you just have to make up your mind that you WILL be a non-smoker. I tried those gums and patches and when it comes down to it it's pure will power.:macho

PHIL_B54
08-07-2003, 08:53 AM
started when i was 16 and was a pack a day when i could legally get them, quit when i was 20.

i smoked reds, so i went to lights for a month or so. then to ultra lights for another month or so. then i weened my self to 1/2 pack a day then 5 a day then quit. 3 tries but ive been without for about 2 years. really the hardest part is the smell, on break when everyone else was smoking, marlboro lights still smell pretty damn good

good luck

DEAL
08-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Just try cutting back more and more as time goes on.

trueblue450
08-07-2003, 09:10 AM
a friend with a collapsed lung did it for me..:eek:

660LE
08-07-2003, 09:20 AM
I started when i was 12 and then seen my dad been going thru hell cuz he smoked a pack or 2 a day at least. an hes super scare to go see the doctor hes afriad of the words you have cancer. an seeing an hearing him scared teh chit outta me an i told myself what the hell am i doin to my self. i bought my last pack on december 20th made it last a week then bummed smokes when i could and on jan 1 this year i smoked my very last cigarette an havent even touched one since. it took a tonn of will power an a tonn of encouragement from my friends an pals but i did it i dont plan on ever going back.. :)

Tina
08-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Cold Turkey! I was a smoker, my husband was not. When we found out I was having a baby, my husband asked the doctor about my smoking cigarettes. Of course the doc says, in his Korean voice, "You no smoke cigarette" and proceeded to explain all sorts of nasty stuff about what could happen to the baby and so on.... So on June 5th 1997, after my doctor visit, we drove to my mom's and I stood under her big pine tree and smoked my last cigarette. I could not bear the thought that everything I took in, so did my baby. All I could picture was that little baby's lungs filling up with smoke with every puff I took. I still feel guilty for even having that last cig after I knew I was pregnant. After that I wouldn't let anyone around me who smoked. My oldest daughter is now 5 1/2 and the younger is 1 1/2 and I still don't let anyone smoke around them. After you quit, you realize how much you, and everything you own, really stinks like smoke. I could not quit for myself like they say you should, but I could quit for my baby and it worked for me. I can't believe it, but I still wheeze sometimes even after all these years.

Well GOOD LUCK to you!:macho

P.S. Congrats to you and your wife!!:D :D

Now, if I could only quit chocolate.....

Giz400ex
08-07-2003, 11:07 AM
I would also say "cold turkey"! I use to smoke and cutting down does not help!!! If you smoke 1-2 cigs a day, it doesn't matter. The nic is still in your system. If you can make it through the 1st month then you should have it licked. But, its not easy, it also depends how bad you want to quit too! If you really don't want to then your not. Find other things to keep you occupied and after that 1st month, you'll feel like a million bucks!!! "Energetic":D

YLW400
08-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Cold turkey is the way to go man......I smoked for 11 or 12 years...and I am only 25...I quit a year ago this month :D I love not waking up in the morning with a sore chest....it is still very tempting when I have about 300 beers though.......

08-07-2003, 11:37 AM
well guys i dont smoke either :) im only 13 but my dad smokes and but hes trying to quit so what he is doing is he has stopped buy lighters and now is only relying on the car lighter that comes in the car!!! that way he doesnt smoke as much!!

RED121572
08-07-2003, 12:15 PM
I used the patch. I was on it for 4 weeks. It worked for me and I smoked for 15 years. I hope you find something that will work for you.

dpizz450
08-07-2003, 12:31 PM
well im not really proud of it but im 14 n smoke n im realli tryin to quit i use to smoke one every hour but now im down to like 4 a week n im not doin nothin but jus tryin to stop n thinkin about how i could get lung cancer

honda400exrider
08-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Im 14 and started like last year, im not addicted but I stopped smoking pot like a week ago so I smoke a little more cigarettes than I normally do. I tried chewing and stuff and thats fun but Im trying not to get addicted to anything. If you live a stressful life, cutting down the number per day does generally NOT work. My sister smokes like two packs a day and she tried that but has like mental issues so when she tries limiting when she does go back she just smokes more so that isnt always the best suggestion. Good luck quitting!

WEEZIL
08-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Well i tried it before a while ago i couldnt stand it.. plus my dad smokes around me in the truck and that pisses me off really bad! my pap had a heart attack from smoking (years ago) he is better now.. My uncle had a stroke and it was linked to smoking somehow so all i have to say is **** YOU TOBACCO COMPANYS OF AMERICA YOU ROTTEN SONS OF B!TCHES!!! GO TO HELL AND I HOPE YOU ALL DIE IN A HIDEOUS GRUSOME MANNOR!!!!!!!!!

Pappy
08-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Tina

Now, if I could only quit chocolate.....

they say choclate releases the same chemicals in the brain as sex:confused2 anyone want a herseys bar:p

my wife was able to quit when we got word our 1st child was a comin:macho

i tried a few times yet no success:ermm: the best time was when the ol'lady said she would ....ummm... well lets say she was gonna ....ummm, i cant really explain it but its kinda like the choclate thing:D anyway ...that worked....for about a month.

btw...thats the reason i have 2 KIDS:eek:

I WILL QUIT...someday:(

Adam202
08-07-2003, 04:12 PM
cold turkeys the only way. you just have to want to quit, i smoke but i dont want to quit. my boss and a few peeps i know smoked for like 30 years and quit cold turkey.

Adam202
08-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by honda400exrider
im not addicted but I stopped smoking pot like a week ago so I smoke a little more cigarettes than I normally do.
i would quit smoking cigs ANY day before i quit smoking bud. if moneys the problem with smoking weed just dont buy it. if its creating a problem for your life than quit, but if alls going swell, Smoke the green stuff ;) .

dpizz450
08-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Adam202
but if alls going swell, Smoke the green stuff ;) .

oooo YEAH!
:D :D
lol one time i was hi n i was drivin my old 250ex around n i was in the video game atv offroad fury!!! it was ****in awesome LMAO like i would be goin in a dead straight away and all the sudden i jus turn for no reason it was pretty damn fun.........:devil:

markeg192
08-07-2003, 06:38 PM
I smoked from myu early teens until I was 28 and haven't smoked for 9 yrs. I tried to quit for a long time with no success until I was serious and threw them in the trash and never smoked again.

08-07-2003, 07:15 PM
You seroius about quiting? if so read below.....

This has helped to date 4 people except myself cause im a coward .......

Depending on how much you smoke buy lets say 3 packs not cartons just 3 packs.....
Sit or stand in a well ventalated area,,, and start puffing away... but here is the catch... you may ask he wants to quit not sit down and smoke...................

Well the catch is that once you start smoking the first cig from the first box you dont stop.... thats right... Its choooooo choooo time... and just when you think you had enough cigs start up another one... and another... and another... (it took my bro 15 straight) but when you trow up after smoking so much you will never want to touch or smell a cig for as long as you live.... its almost like women when they are pregnate and al of a sudden a perfume gets to them or something like that they will never like it again....

My brother to this day cant stand the smell ... when he smells it he walks away cause it reminds him and he starts like wanting to trow up.........

Disclaimer.....

This should not be tried with out supervision or by anyone under the legal age of smoking... I am not responsible if you croke or have a mofo heart attack.... This is something that was told to me by an old man one day and everybody that has tried it .. or better yett that has had the balls to try it has QUIT!!!!!

PS... please dont hurt yourself...

08-07-2003, 07:25 PM
so I think u should get pregnant man b/c it has helped alot of chicks on here

sparky450AR
08-07-2003, 07:39 PM
my uncle used those filters...you get like 6 filter and put them on the end of your ciggarete and you put on a new filter every month and as you go on the filters keep taken out more and more nicotene(sp?) until your not addicted.....he said it was really easy

and walking around with a deformed ciggarete for six months would be worth quiting.....it owuld be a good plan you got 9 months to do it:D

good luck...and respect to you for tryin to quit....****s stupid

JUSTINcredible
08-07-2003, 07:56 PM
i have never quit or plan on quiting ever, simply because i have never started and im not gonna

Glamis400ex
08-08-2003, 01:17 AM
It will be one of the hardest things you'll ever do...:(

You have to want it bad enough. I smoked for 17 years and finally quit...coming up on 1 year here pretty quick.:D

Glamis

honda400exrider
08-08-2003, 01:18 AM
i would quit smoking cigs ANY day before i quit smoking bud. if moneys the problem with smoking weed just dont buy it. if its creating a problem for your life than quit, but if alls going swell, Smoke the green stuff ;) .

Moneys not really an issue with why I quit. I still once in a while, but not as much;) like I got high this one time and I was riding on the streets with some chick and a cop pulled over to try to chase me like on an turn and I just ran acrost the road and almost got hit by this other car, plus I had a chick on the back:eek2: And then I just generally got burnt from it, like im mad slow now:ermm: But I still will at parties and stuff it just came a point where I was getting high and then riding like all the time which is fun but you shouldnt do:rolleyes:

daiglea
08-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Well i started smoking when i was 16 and smoked till i was like 23 then i met my current wife and she nagged the cravings right out of me ;). A few years pased and i started smoking cigars until i too found out my wife was pregnant (now 6 month's in by the way). Well one day i got realy sick and went to the doc. They told me that because i smoked cigars that i has a very agravated ulcer. That was the end of it. All it took was 3 day in the hospital ;).

Adam202
08-08-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by 250r_W_huevos
You seroius about quiting? if so read below.....

This has helped to date 4 people except myself cause im a coward .......

Depending on how much you smoke buy lets say 3 packs not cartons just 3 packs.....
Sit or stand in a well ventalated area,,, and start puffing away... but here is the catch... you may ask he wants to quit not sit down and smoke...................

Well the catch is that once you start smoking the first cig from the first box you dont stop.... thats right... Its choooooo choooo time... and just when you think you had enough cigs start up another one... and another... and another... (it took my bro 15 straight) but when you trow up after smoking so much you will never want to touch or smell a cig for as long as you live.... its almost like women when they are pregnate and al of a sudden a perfume gets to them or something like that they will never like it again....

My brother to this day cant stand the smell ... when he smells it he walks away cause it reminds him and he starts like wanting to trow up.........

Disclaimer.....

This should not be tried with out supervision or by anyone under the legal age of smoking... I am not responsible if you croke or have a mofo heart attack.... This is something that was told to me by an old man one day and everybody that has tried it .. or better yett that has had the balls to try it has QUIT!!!!!

PS... please dont hurt yourself...
if your desperate i can almost garuntee this will work. ever puke off a certain type of alcohol and you cant drink it anymore cause youll puke if you smell it?, same concept.

08-08-2003, 05:28 AM
i puked my brains of caus eI drank a whole thing of crown royal in 2 hours & i weigh 135 lbs....I almost died i think? I still love the stuff..i wont get totally smashed & ride but if im buzzin from alcohol ill ride around my backyard....its really fun.

Chanman420q
08-08-2003, 05:37 AM
DONT DO COLD TURKEY!!!

it was the worste thing i have ever went threw and other people will feel ur pain too. ( im a real d1ck when i dont smoke )

This is what i did, When ever i wanted one, i wouldnt smoke one. Wait til the urg dies down, when it comes back, only smoke half the ciggerette. i did that til id take like 2-3 drags and feel light headed like when i first started. This really helped me, but the biggest thing is so skip every other earge. I was able to go from a pack a day to 2-3 a day within a week or so. I also bought ciggerettes that were REALLY nasty. Like i dont mind Marlbs or parlaments, but i would buy like Private Stock or sonomas which are just horrible. And my last trick that maybe might work for you was fruit! when ever i got the earge id eat some kind of citruis fruit. Such as oranges and Mellon.

Good luck man, its tuff but once its over its so relieving

Adam202
08-08-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
i puked my brains of caus eI drank a whole thing of crown royal in 2 hours & i weigh 135 lbs....I almost died i think? I still love the stuff..i wont get totally smashed & ride but if im buzzin from alcohol ill ride around my backyard....its really fun. well it only does it sometimes it seems, i will never touch captain morgans again, i only weighed like 100 pounds and slammed about 1/3rd of a 1/5th straight which is alot for someone who never drinks. well i prolly almost died, i pretty much was so drunk i blacked out and didnt remember the whole night. that scared the **** out of me and i take it easy when i drink now.

08-08-2003, 06:23 AM
if your desperate i can almost garuntee this will work. ever puke off a certain type of alcohol and you cant drink it anymore cause youll puke if you smell it?, same concept.

EXACTLY!!!! exuces dont work either .... Another guy here at work just told me he tried it over the weekend and he was my smoking buddy now he says he will pass...... dammm now I have no smokind buddy.... he tried my method with out me knowing cause he said that if it didnt work then no one would know that he even tried it....... the count is up to 5!.... man I should go into business with this idea... GUM...blah... patch....blahhhh smoking yeah..... just dont stop .... till you puke is going to be my marketing logo...

Chanman420q
08-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by 250r_W_huevos
EXACTLY!!!! exuces dont work either .... Another guy here at work just told me he tried it over the weekend and he was my smoking buddy now he says he will pass...... dammm now I have no smokind buddy.... he tried my method with out me knowing cause he said that if it didnt work then no one would know that he even tried it....... the count is up to 5!.... man I should go into business with this idea... GUM...blah... patch....blahhhh smoking yeah..... just dont stop .... till you puke is going to be my marketing logo...

im so close to quitting, if my method doesnt work ill be trying yours

JabberJaw
08-08-2003, 07:27 AM
Most people don't really want to quit. They get asked by others, have various reasons to quit, but for the most part, deep down they really enjoy smoking.

If you really want to quit, you'll know it! You'll start to hate smoking, and be angry that you still do. You won't need any excuses of why you want to quit, how it's going to help you.

Until you really honestly want to quit smoking, it will be difficult, and most times, a failure.

The other important thing to remember, is that you ARE a smoker, that you cannot simply hide the ciggarette's and the problem will go away. Not having ciggarette's, trying to forget, not talking about them, not hanging around people that smoke, or other various ways to make you forget that you smoke are in the end, useless.

You have to constantly remind yourself you are a smoker, and you hate it! You have to realize there will be symptoms from quiting.

Ask yourself, "Just how bad are these symptoms I hear about anyway?". How tuff could they be? I ride a quad everyday, and do crazy stuff that could possibly kill me instantly, and yet I am afraid of a little shortness of breath, and a nagging sensation I get when I feel like, "I just HAVE to have a ciggarrette!".

Your friends that smoke, try to hide it from you! They tell you that they are sorry for smoking in front of you! Hell, I say.... let em, tell em to toke up good! Enjoy, it's you that should be feeling sorry for them!

Tell them to, go ahead, make it hard on you.... cause you want to see how bad these symptoms really are! And if they can overtake you and make you do something you don't want to!

Are you in charge of yourself? Or do you let the symptoms guide your decisions?

It's not the patch, gum, slacking off, or other remedies...its pure WILL POWER!

BE TOUGH ON YOURSELF! Expect alot from yourself! I know we do from our friends!!!!

Sorry if you thought there was going to be some humor! And had to read all of this....sheez now I need a smoke!

08-08-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw

Sorry if you thought there was going to be some humor! And had to read all of this....sheez now I need a smoke!

Jabber

coming from you this was a waste of a post.... I was expecting something funny like you mentioned.... But your right very right...

JabberJaw
08-08-2003, 08:09 AM
After I finished typing it, I re-read it.....and wondered who typed it!

spliffy
08-10-2003, 10:30 AM
I think my biggest problem is that my wife is asking me to quit like she has in the past & its not the same if I say I am going to quit because I want to... pappy, that thing you are talking about.. that worked for about a month for me too.... then she gave it up... so, so did I :p & started to smoke again. Jabber I dunno what to say.... a very thought out post & I don't expect anything like that out of you again....j/k however it does make sense, which is even more scary to me:scary: on the way home from the cabin today she was a biching about me to quit & I just said soon.. which I have said many times before.. hopefully this baby will make ME want to quit..only time will tell though. Thanks for all the replies & ideas..... also the dam beer is a killer... I think if I could quit drinking I could quit smoking & well THAT JUST AINT GUNNA HAPPEN hehe.:devil:

Leo
08-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by spliffy
also the dam beer is a killer... I think if I could quit drinking I could quit smoking & well THAT JUST AINT GUNNA HAPPEN hehe.:devil:

Move to NY no smoking in the bars.. Pretty much the last straw for me $5 a pack and banished outside (can't even smoke on the deck if it's got a roof or canopy)..

Leo

Woodsrider
08-10-2003, 03:58 PM
ZYBAN worked for me. Smoke free for 20 months:D

honda400exrider
08-10-2003, 04:10 PM

Yeah I just randomly drank with my friend this one time and im 14 at 135 pounds and took 14 shots of tequila in a half hour. I wasnt buzzed or anything then I went on the beach and started to get buzzed and I was like, ohh this is nice, and then I started getting really drunk, then falling in the water, then I started climbing back up and I dont remember what happened:devil: my friend said he drove me back on his quad and he thought I fell off when he looked back and didnt see me, turns out my body was so like limp my head was practically on the floor, and afterwords I threw up all over said the friend. Soo I smelt it the day after and almost puked, I dont think I could drink it again:rolleyes: Haha sorry thought you might be interested in reading my story:devil:

honda400exrider
08-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Leo
Move to NY no smoking in the bars.. Pretty much the last straw for me $5 a pack and banished outside (can't even smoke on the deck if it's got a roof or canopy)..

Leo

Uhhh smoking cigarettes is permitted in bars and I live in Ny:confused: Maybe NYC?:huh

popo
08-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
they say choclate releases the same chemicals in the brain as sex:confused2 anyone want a herseys bar:p

my wife was able to quit when we got word our 1st child was a comin:macho

i tried a few times yet no success:ermm: the best time was when the ol'lady said she would ....ummm... well lets say she was gonna ....ummm, i cant really explain it but its kinda like the choclate thing:D anyway ...that worked....for about a month.

btw...thats the reason i have 2 KIDS:eek:

I WILL QUIT...someday:(

Ya must a been one hornie puppy eating all them choclate bars.