View Full Version : never buy MAIER plastic

PATTE440
08-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Never buy MAIER plastic.. It doesn’t come with any mounting tabs so you have to DRILL HOLES AND YOU METAL BRACKETS. I just rebuilt my 400 ex into a 440 and installed a cam and it was a piece of cake compared to the plastic the side panel did not want to fit up and you had to drill more hole to mount them. I will never in my life buy MAIER plastic again.

AtvMxRider
08-06-2003, 11:48 AM
:ermm: Ok.

08-06-2003, 11:53 AM
dunno about the 400 ...but the R only took a lil extra effort & time to figure out the mounting brackets & such ..

ZRider400
08-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Who cares about drilling a hole....big deal...the main thing that matters is if the hole lines up after its drilled.

brian400ex
08-06-2003, 12:38 PM
When i bought my 400ex off of my dad i took off the brand new dull Maier plastic and put back on the scratched up OEM plastic. OEM is much better. Lot better fit. I have the Maier plastic if anybody is interested in it.

Bill Fuller
08-06-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm sure the guys at Maier are crying thier eyes out because they lost another loyal customer.Didn't you think there was some kind of catch I mean Fullbore $500 ,Maier $250?It wasn't that hard for me just took a couple of extra beers.:D

Chanman420q
08-06-2003, 12:54 PM
ya i had the same problem......... im tossin mine on ebay and getting OEM

muff
08-06-2003, 04:33 PM
yea the race front plastic went on in a snap...the full front however was somethin to be messed with

i've learned the lesson to and from now on i'll either get the race fronts or go the easier and cheaper route and get the stock plastic

Diedrich
08-06-2003, 04:47 PM
just get fullbore..it looks alot better

QuadJunkies
08-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by PATTE440
Never buy MAIER plastic.. It doesn’t come with any mounting tabs so you have to DRILL HOLES AND YOU METAL BRACKETS. I just rebuilt my 400 ex into a 440 and installed a cam and it was a piece of cake compared to the plastic the side panel did not want to fit up and you had to drill more hole to mount them. I will never in my life buy MAIER plastic again. I wasnt as impressed with mine either.:ermm: I love the look,but the workmanship was not a good as I thought it would be,I wish I had spent the extra and got fullbore.......Its took along time to install on my as well........

86atc250r
08-07-2003, 04:21 AM
Maier and Fullbore use the exact same process to make their plastic, vacuum formed dull plastic with a shiny cap sheet. OEM plastic is injection molded.

Fullbore is also the same as Maier in that holes are drilled to mount - there are no molded mounting brackets like stock.

Really there is no advantage in buying Fullbore unless you like the styling more than Maier. Cost does not always reflect quality.

FWIW, I've been running shiny Maier plastic on my 400 for about 1.5 years now, still looks great. Has held up as well as or better than my stock plastic.

Don't let anyone sell you old dull Maier - that stuff *is* crap.

Here are two pics of my Maier plastic:
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/green/MVC-009S.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/flattrack/MVC-003F.jpg

Here is a pic of a friend's Fullbore (notice the metal mounting bracket, just like the Maier):
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/images/tmp/0041.jpg

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-07-2003, 04:26 AM
I don't know about the race fronts but the 400ex front standard is a pain there are way too many holes keeping it together. I don't want to take it off more than I have too. :ermm:

86atc250r
08-07-2003, 04:31 AM
Unless you need an OEM headlight location, get the race fronts and install the add on front fenders like my top picture. I love that setup, I can change from full fenders to race fronts in about two minutes.

Pappy
08-07-2003, 04:32 AM
the NEW maier has removable side panels.....its not one piece any more..,.....and YES its a PITA:p

86atc250r
08-07-2003, 04:36 AM
Even the race cut?

I've got a shiny race cut set that's one piece (pictured above). I've also got a set of shiny stock style, but they've always been multi-piece.

Pappy
08-07-2003, 04:38 AM
i got in a set about a month ago...took one look at the way it mounted and immediatley sold it. i take it off way too often to deal with the hassle. ive seen it mounted...and it looks good....but not for me:)

i prefer OEM but settle for the color choices offered by fullbore

QuadJunkies
08-07-2003, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 86atc250r
[B]Maier and Fullbore use the exact same process to make their plastic, vacuum formed dull plastic with a shiny cap sheet. OEM plastic is injection molded.

Fullbore is also the same as Maier in that holes are drilled to mount - there are no molded mounting brackets like stock.

Really there is no advantage in buying Fullbore unless you like the styling more than Maier. Cost does not always reflect quality.

FWIW, I've been running shiny Maier plastic on my 400 for about 1.5 years now, still looks great. Has held up as well as or better than my stock plastic.

Don't let anyone sell you old dull Maier - that stuff *is* crap.

Here are two pics of my Maier plastic:
well that bites knowing the quality will be about the same....:( I like mine for the most part, but the quality could be better and the rear fenders slap around way too much for my liking.... I even had to do a few minor mods to the plastic,because it wasnt lining up correctly ect.....I def like the molding compared to my stock,but I like the fullbore look the best...

86atc250r
08-07-2003, 04:49 AM
Did you use the metal support bracket on the rears? Spending a little time setting that up really helps.

Pappy
Which ones are you talking about? The ones I have mount just like fullbore - and are as easy to take on and off as stock with the exception of two additional bolts at the tank cover, and I don't like the fact that fullbore doesn't even have a tank cover, just has a cheezy "feel" to me.

QuadJunkies
08-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Did you use the metal support bracket on the rears? Spending a little time setting that up really helps. Yes, I did;) in total.............took two people 6 hours to put on the plastics....:grr:

86atc250r
08-07-2003, 04:53 AM
Wow, sounds like you had it rough... Took me only an hour or two to initially set mine up & I even had to drill my own mounting holes. I've heard the latest plastic comes pre-drilled.

QuadJunkies
08-07-2003, 04:54 AM
the more I think about it,the more I wonder if I got a shotty set to begin with:huh maybe it was a faulty set ...I dunno, but wasnt good for a first time experience for aftermarket plastic...mine came predriled...but nothing lined up very good.Hopefully others have better luck than I did with theres...I still love my silver plastic though.....:)

86atc250r
08-07-2003, 04:57 AM
I've often wondered if the pre-drilling is good or bad. I kind of like being able to drill my own mounting so I make "adjustments" if necessary.

There is also a lot of "blem" plastic floating around out there...

One other thing I did to mine was take a cutting tool and cut some of the plastic that is around the tank where the seat comes up, so it wouldn't rub. Took only a couple minutes but saved me a lot of future trouble.

Rip_Tear
08-07-2003, 11:47 AM
So whats the "conclusion" here? What is cheaper? Full bore, Maier or OEM? Which is better quality (mounting)?? I'd like to know because I will need new fronts soon... Mine is cracked from the front to back now :( Zip ties are all thats holding it together...

Bill Fuller
08-07-2003, 11:54 AM
If you like red or yellow I would stick with stock.I can't see myself paying $500+ for Fullbore.Maier was a pain to put on especially if you have an oversized tank(3 people,4 hrs., 1 case )

bluebaron
08-07-2003, 04:28 PM
mine were easy, xsep for the back brackets, im happy with them

QuadJunkies
08-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
So whats the "conclusion" here? What is cheaper? Full bore, Maier or OEM? Which is better quality (mounting)?? I'd like to know because I will need new fronts soon... Mine is cracked from the front to back now :( Zip ties are all thats holding it together... My Maier at the time was 215.00 complete ..Stock was close to this price through Service Honda,and I think fullbore is around 550.00 :eek2: .....I still think Ill try a set of Fullbore...Ill add this to my Christmas list ........:D

08-09-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/images/tmp/0041.jpg

What kind of seat covers are those? Are they the gripper type? Thanks

toby400ex
08-09-2003, 09:01 AM
I dont see how you guys had so many problems. IT only took me like an hour putting my race cut 400ex maier on my 300EX. I would think it would be even easier on a 400ex. lol:rolleyes: Gabe has seen my 300ex prolly (hillBillyGP);)

muff
08-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
I dont see how you guys had so many problems. IT only took me like an hour putting my race cut 400ex maier on my 300EX. I would think it would be even easier on a 400ex. lol:rolleyes: Gabe has seen my 300ex prolly (hillBillyGP);)

thats the thing u got Race Cut..., its the full plastic with the head lights that are givin us the problems

user101
08-09-2003, 05:39 PM
my white maier w/ headlights is on its way. i hope mine goes on easier then what yall say.

08-09-2003, 06:55 PM
dont worry....it wont...have fun puuting your maier plastic on:blah:

Chef
08-09-2003, 09:00 PM
It took me about 10 minutes to get my Fullbore on the first time..takes less now.:p

QuadJunkies
08-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by muff
thats the thing u got Race Cut..., its the full plastic with the head lights that are givin us the problems exactly.....I coudnt even get my rear fender brackets to fit properly.....:grr: They flap around too much for my liking so its time to modify it to my own liking I guess.......:rolleyes:

QuadJunkies
08-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by user101
my white maier w/ headlights is on its way. i hope mine goes on easier then what yall say. I hope they do for your sake too!!!:macho .....Im sure like alot of thingas you buy..some are just not made right or have minor flaws....

Sporttrax400ex
08-10-2003, 06:34 PM
im gettin ready to buy yellow race cut meir plastic right now i hope they go on good..

muff
08-11-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Sporttrax400ex
im gettin ready to buy yellow race cut meir plastic right now i hope they go on good..

yea my race front bolted up in about 3 seconds

if you got the gas tank cover tho expect to do some trimming along the bottom of the cover so it'll fit snugly

JLanphear
08-14-2003, 05:06 AM
Now that mine is on I love it, but it was a real pain to get it there. I tackled the job around midnight and finished around 4am....everything went smooth except for the headlights. Mine were all busted up to begin with due to excessive rolling :D . If I skipped the headlight process I would think taking off the old plastic and putting on the new would take me about 2 hours.

As for the quality....surely not as good as stock, but I didn't want red or yellow. It's not all that bad though...it seems thinner and "crispier" than the stock stuff, but I have dumped the quad a few times with it on and it's holding up nice.

So if you want red or yellow, stock is the only way to go, no question, but if you want a different color Maier is worth it since it's the cheapest alternative.

Oh by the way....The directions on the Maier suck....I just winged it for the most part for some of the mounting techniques....staying on nice.

-Josh