PDA

View Full Version : If honda is gonna be better than Yamaha then.....

300EX_HMF
08-06-2003, 04:34 AM
they gotta have a better motor!!

Bretmd94
08-06-2003, 04:45 AM
:huh

have you ever gone for a ride on a crf 450?? Especially compared to an xr400.. That crf motor puts out a lot of power. It will be very close if not better than the yzf quad. :huh

trx400ex
08-06-2003, 04:49 AM
I just bought a yfz 450 yesterday, and i love it, i used to have in my opinion the most built MX 400ex around (except for maybe doug eichners) anyway, this quad beats that, and i dont see honda coming out with something thats gonna whip this one, i would bet that it will be slower, it might handle better, be lighter etc. but i dont think it was worth waiting for, thats why i didnt:D

Adam202
08-06-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
I just bought a yfz 450 yesterday, and i love it, i used to have in my opinion the most built MX 400ex around (except for maybe doug eichners) anyway, this quad beats that, and i dont see honda coming out with something thats gonna whip this one, i would bet that it will be slower, it might handle better, be lighter etc. but i dont think it was worth waiting for, thats why i didnt:D
Hondas 450 and yamahas 450 put like the same amount of power out. its like comarping a cr 250 motor and a yz 250 motor. there different but basically put the same power out. Hondas quad will prolly be right on PAR with the Yzf 450.

08-06-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex

When and at what track will we be meeting at????:)

08-06-2003, 06:26 AM
what yall talkin bout. honda is never gonna be better than yamaha

JUSTINcredible
08-06-2003, 06:30 AM
as far as i kno nobody even knows the specs on this so maybe it could be lighting fast and run cirlcles around the yammay or maybe it could be a very much detuned crf450..... i dont think anybody knows so I dont think you know what is gonna be better

Bretmd94
08-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by MNmxblaster37
as far as i kno nobody even knows the specs on this so maybe it could be lighting fast and run cirlcles around the yammay or maybe it could be a very much detuned crf450..... i dont think anybody knows so I dont think you know what is gonna be better

this is true. Its going to be like this till sept 10th also. then after that it will still continue but we will actually have the specs of both bikes. Its a lose lose situation. :ermm:

300EX_HMF
08-06-2003, 06:44 AM
the crf450 motor is better than the yzf 450 in about everyway but if they detune it they gotta have someting to make it run like if it wasnt detuned!

Dale512
08-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Well in a bike the CRF puts out a smooth 47.8HP (55 at crank) and the YZ450F puts out 49.3HP, but its more peaky. If Honda does indeed detune the CRF motor it'll probably be around 37-38HP like the YFZ450 quad. I'm not so much worried about which motor is gonna be better because in all honesty its gonna be real close ,but more on which is going too handle better, and honda has their hands full because Yamaha really did out do themselves with the YFZ450, Its the first Yamaha that I've seen that you can actually say handles well.

So IMHO.....pick whether you like Blue or Red because its gonna be real close.:macho

400exr
08-06-2003, 05:21 PM
I have always riddin a honda and always will.We have an old 1987 honda TRX 250. Nothing has ever broken on it, and the engine has never been opened up , but it still runs like the first day, and we ride it every day for at least 3 hours (ranch work). I think the new YFZ450 is a really great bike, and I think it's the first yamaha that holds its own. But It all depends on the rider and the conditions. My friends 660R might be faster than my 400 in a straight line, but on the track I beat him all the time because the 400 just out handles his. In a normal race, how often do you think you will get into 5 gear? The yfz might have a power advantage, but if the new honda handles better than the yfz, then we'll see how little bit more hp advantage won't even matter !:D

Woody_YFZ
08-06-2003, 05:33 PM
They'll be similar. I doubt Honda or Yamaha has some cutting edge secret about making their bike way faster, so they just keep improving them little by little. I think either way the riders are giong to be happy.

08-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by RAPTOR660
what yall talkin bout. honda is never gonna be better than yamaha

honda doesnt want to make pianos, otherwise they would probably be better:o

anyways. i would put my money on the honda being better ONLY because yamaha came out first, honda will get one of their quads in their hands, see what they can do to make theirs better, lighter, find out flaws in the yamaha, probably test them together on some secret track and keep makin theirs faster. i doubt they will come out with a quad thats supposed to be competing with its competitors and have it be not as fast or light or as good handling becuz then everyone will just buy a yfz.. JMO:ermm:

markeg192
08-06-2003, 06:21 PM
On a track Honda ATVs have always outperformed Yamahas so I think history will repeat itself. Everyonr forgets that yamaha has made the fastest quad when it made the Banshee in 87'. Honda has made the best performing always.

ewalker302
08-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Why are there so many yamaha lovers hangin around on this Honda site??
Jealous?? thats what I think.

Who knows whats in store for the future??
But Honda has always been a higher quality bike than Yamaha or any body else for that matter.

Yeah they may not hold the top speed or biggest displacement record right now but that stuff changes like every year, so that dont really matter to me. Plus you cant go very fast if your bike is designed so wacky that you cant hardly work on it yourself.

Where me & my buddies ride has got to be some of the harshest terrain you can find. Deep mud holes that have been dug out by lifted 4x4 quads w/snorkles, and shallow to real deep creeks with sand bottoms & sugar fine sand bars.

I couldnt tell you how many people I know who have bought and rode Yammies, just to get disgusted with the amount of probs they had & got rid of them. Im talkin from tri-z's to Raptors here many many years of seeing the same thing over & over.

Me & one of my best friends had this same argument all through high school. He rode Tri-z's and other Yamaha three wheelers and quads, & always said they were the bomb even though he was always puttin em in the shop.

He swore he would always ride Yamaha.

Guess what he's got now???
A camp on the creek, an 01 400EX for him and a mint condition Big Red for his wife to ride. When I asked him why, he said he was tired of signin over all his paychecks to the yamaha shop for parts.

But we ride hard around here. I guess if you dont have sand water or mud to contend with, you probably will be ok on one of those blue turds I still see around here every once in a while.

All you Yamaha lovers go find somewhere else to play. This place is for red riders.:devious:

:bandit:

4wheelboy
08-06-2003, 07:29 PM
All you Yamaha lovers go find somewhere else to play. This place is for red riders.

who ru to say this sites for red riders. hmm i gess thats y we have a non honda fourm. many yamaha riders prolly think this a good site with nice people:huh

brif
08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Two things that I am sure the Honda will have and the other manufacturer can't see to get is: a simple clamp on airfilter and a simple cam type chain adjustment. It seems with everything else you have to pay to get these two simple things that everyone wants!!!:)

Dale512
08-07-2003, 04:38 AM
Um......Z400 (the new ones), Cannondale, GasGas, & DS650 all have Cam-style Chain Adjusters, and I'm not positive but the YFZ might also because I know it uses something different than the Raptor same with the Airbox Setup.......the DS has a clamp on Airfilter. Also in my opinion the Cannondale has the best Airbox/Airfilter Setup period...its higher and more water tight than any other setup. But the Chain Adjustment & Airfilter setup are just small details that could easily be overlooked.

brif
08-07-2003, 09:59 PM
The 04 z's have a different chain adjustment than the 03's but it's not a cam type, either is the yfz 450. The filter set-up on the yfz is similar to the z's. I didn't intend all manufacturers, just some of them. Like Yamaha, Suzuki, some Kawasaki's. Most Yamaha owners, Suzuki, Kawasaki, now Artic Cat owners will buy a billet adapter and clamp on filter for their machine. These typically run about $100. It would be better for us if it just came with it. The suzuki airbox has alittle lip but it's not long enough. If it was a 1/2" longer you wouldn't need the adapter at all.